Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Hey everyone, I have an Oztent RV-3 that I have not had the chance to use yet and wanted to know how you folks are transporting on your adventures. Let's see some pictures if possible.

Thanks

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I strap it down on the roof rack. I have an RV-4, which only fits diagonally in my ARB rack. I have to pack most other things at an angle as a result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Is there not a specific custom tray you can purchase from oztent
Nope. THe duffle is waterproof. Haven't seen a tray of sorts for sale in the U.S. if there is one.

I will be getting a Gobi Stealth rack which is long enough to put it completely against the rail straight so doing something like diagonal isn't required on the Jeep @pl626

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

It's not an oztent, but it is similar, (Kodiak Canvas Flexbow 10x10) huge canvas bag with a canvas tent in it. I store the main tent on my front runner table in the back (and pack around it) and the tent poles go on the other side (front) of the cargo barrier and sits behind the head rests of the outboard 2nd row seats. Then I secure it with a large quick fist clamp.

I could use my roof rack, but I dont really want it to get damp or get bugs all over it. Keeping this thing dry is important. (unfortunately)

I couldn't find a picture of the front of the barrier with the quick fist on it, but this is the tent pole bag in that location with a big sleeping pad on top. I usually have the quick fist around the barrier and the canvas tent pole bag.

Reactions: Rman69

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

It's not an oztent, but it is similar, (Kodiak Canvas Flexbow 10x10) huge canvas bag with a canvas tent in it. I store the main tent on my front runner table in the back (and pack around it) and the tent poles go on the other side (front) of the cargo barrier and sits behind the head rests of the outboard 2nd row seats. Then I secure it with a large quick fist clamp.

I could use my roof rack, but I dont really want it to get damp or get bugs all over it. Keeping this thing dry is important. (unfortunately)

I couldn't find a picture of the front of the barrier with the quick fist on it, but this is the tent pole bag in that location with a big sleeping pad on top. I usually have the quick fist around the barrier and the canvas tent pole bag.
yeah, that's really nothing like an Oztent packed up... THe Oztent is 6'6" long, and about 6-8" diameter in a duffle bag, but thanks for sharing.

TheRainMan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Milton, GA
Member #

I have a RV5 and it fits perfectly nested up in my Camelback (similar to Gobi) rack. It lays straight on the expanded metal bottom, with the upper rail keeping it from moving front or back. Its made for it...

Reactions: RootedWanderers

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

... Gobi Stealth rack which is long enough to put it completely against the rail straight so doing something like diagonal isn't required on the Jeep @pl626
LOL! If I had my LWB, it wouldn't be an issue. I thought about a Frontrunner slimline for the SWB, but I prefer the cage of the ARB, so I have to either position the Oz diagonally, or inclined over the rear cage, not a huge issue...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: RootedWanderers

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

My RV-5 is arriving on Monday, but I've used my buddy's on a few trips. It gets strapped to the Safety Devices rack on my Discovery 2. The rack is long enough to fit the tent straight.

I'll snap a pic when it's loaded for the trip home and post it for ya.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Nope. THe duffle is waterproof. Haven't seen a tray of sorts for sale in the U.S. if there is one.

I will be getting a Gobi Stealth rack which is long enough to put it completely against the rail straight so doing something like diagonal isn't required on the Jeep @pl626
Goole it a get a copy made. Its only a sheet of stainles mesh bent To make a channle then fix brackets to fasten to your rack

Last edited:

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Ill be going for the mesh powder coated. Then. Fixed to my rack i think. Best get an oztent first though :flushed:

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

yeah, that's really nothing like an Oztent packed up... THe Oztent is 6'6" long, and about 6-8" diameter in a duffle bag, but thanks for sharing.
Sorry for the Kodiak spam then... Interesting, so they just pack into one thing with the poles. How do you deal with a wet tent? Are you supposed to pack them dry like most cotton canvas to prevent mildew?

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I have a Garvin rack and just strap it down with tie down.

Mouflon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I normally use a swag. But when my wife goes along I take the Oztent RV4 - or the Taj Mahal as we refer to it. The Oz goes on the. ARB rack snuggled against the side rail. It is designed to exactly fit inside the rail of a full size ARB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

I'm going to be purchasing the Foxwing Tagalong RV-5 Tent eventually. I was planning on strapping on the roofrack upgainst my foxwing awning. I have a FrontRunner Slimline II
Question about this setup, I read the RV tagalong is not self supporting, does that mean once you're setup you can't detach awning and drive the truck away?