Owning an Icon FJ44

• HTML tutorial

If price wasn't a factor, what would your dream overland rig be?

• Total voters

Phantom44

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brooklyn, NY
Member #

Does price define luxury? In the case of an Icon FJ44, the answer is simply no. Luxury by definition, is the state of great comfort and extravagant living. While one could argue that the six figure price tag of an Icon automatically puts it into the “extravagant living” category, spending more than a couple minutes in the drivers seat, the terms extravagant, and great comfort, go flying right down the trail. Despite being made from the most robust and highest quality materials available, this is a vehicle of purpose and pure utility, not luxury. The 6.2L LS3 with its drivers-side outward facing mandrel bent exhaust, is loud. So much so, that at any given fast-food drive through, it is at times necessary to turn the engine off if you want your order to be heard correctly. At freeway speeds, it is impossible to have a phone conversation, let alone speak at a normal decibel level to your passengers. Even though it has a fully insulted soft-top, cold air, dust, and occasionally water, finds its way through the many tiny openings throughout the vehicle. Handling and cornering, especially with the rack and rooftop tent, is the driving equivalent of walking around with a giant fruit basket on your head. There is no cruise control, so extended highway travel is actual work, and there are no power locks or windows, so accessing rear cargo and securing your vehicle is an effort. So why you might ask, would anyone truly want and actually enjoy driving one? My answer, for the exact same reasons as some of its shortcomings. It offers its operator a step back in time, but with the reliability and performance that wasn't even imaginable when the pre-restoration vehicle first came off Toyota’s assembly line in 1972. Notwithstanding its utility, a vehicle like this is an heirloom, something to be proud of, something to get muddy, and something to be cherished. DESK copy.jpg

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Does price define luxury? In the case of an Icon FJ44, the answer is simply no. Luxury by definition, is the state of great comfort and extravagant living. While one could argue that the six figure price tag of an Icon automatically puts it into the “extravagant living” category, spending more than a couple minutes in the drivers seat, the terms extravagant, and great comfort, go flying right down the trail. Despite being made from the most robust and highest quality materials available, this is a vehicle of purpose and pure utility, not luxury. The 6.2L LS3 with its drivers-side outward facing mandrel bent exhaust, is loud. So much so, that at any given fast-food drive through, it is at times necessary to turn the engine off if you want your order to be heard correctly. At freeway speeds, it is impossible to have a phone conversation, let alone speak at a normal decibel level to your passengers. Even though it has a fully insulted soft-top, cold air, dust, and occasionally water, finds its way through the many tiny openings throughout the vehicle. Handling and cornering, especially with the rack and rooftop tent, is the driving equivalent of walking around with a giant fruit basket on your head. There is no cruise control, so extended highway travel is actual work, and there are no power locks or windows, so accessing rear cargo and securing your vehicle is an effort. So why you might ask, would anyone truly want and actually enjoy driving one? My answer, for the exact same reasons as some of its shortcomings. It offers its operator a step back in time, but with the reliability and performance that wasn't even imaginable when the pre-restoration vehicle first came off Toyota’s assembly line in 1972. Notwithstanding its utility, a vehicle like this is an heirloom, something to be proud of, something to get muddy, and something to be cherished. View attachment 81031
So you own one I assume?

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Does price define luxury? In the case of an Icon FJ44, the answer is simply no. Luxury by definition, is the state of great comfort and extravagant living. While one could argue that the six figure price tag of an Icon automatically puts it into the “extravagant living” category, spending more than a couple minutes in the drivers seat, the terms extravagant, and great comfort, go flying right down the trail. Despite being made from the most robust and highest quality materials available, this is a vehicle of purpose and pure utility, not luxury. The 6.2L LS3 with its drivers-side outward facing mandrel bent exhaust, is loud. So much so, that at any given fast-food drive through, it is at times necessary to turn the engine off if you want your order to be heard correctly. At freeway speeds, it is impossible to have a phone conversation, let alone speak at a normal decibel level to your passengers. Even though it has a fully insulted soft-top, cold air, dust, and occasionally water, finds its way through the many tiny openings throughout the vehicle. Handling and cornering, especially with the rack and rooftop tent, is the driving equivalent of walking around with a giant fruit basket on your head. There is no cruise control, so extended highway travel is actual work, and there are no power locks or windows, so accessing rear cargo and securing your vehicle is an effort. So why you might ask, would anyone truly want and actually enjoy driving one? My answer, for the exact same reasons as some of its shortcomings. It offers its operator a step back in time, but with the reliability and performance that wasn't even imaginable when the pre-restoration vehicle first came off Toyota’s assembly line in 1972. Notwithstanding its utility, a vehicle like this is an heirloom, something to be proud of, something to get muddy, and something to be cherished. View attachment 81031
Great looking Toy......I've watched their builds for some time now. Love the classics. Glad your rig is being used like it was built for.

Reactions: Boort

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

At first, awesome rig!
As I voted for "something else not listed" I will give you the information what it is that's on my mind...
I'm dreaming of that and still hoping that someday it will be available, it would be a reason to stretch out my bank account way over the limits...

https://rego4x4.com/rex

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

At first, awesome rig!
As I voted for "something else not listed" I will give you the information what it is that's on my mind...
I'm dreaming of that and still hoping that someday it will be available, it would be a reason to stretch out my bank account way over the limits...

https://rego4x4.com/rex
That's an amazing looking system. The light military systems since the 80's have used front and rear independent suspension. The new JLTV has 20" (51cm) of wheel travel.

No, I don't know how it does on rack crawling :)

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I dont know how it does on rocks but for the European terrain it would be fantastic

Reactions: Gryf