Overweight or just Right?

• HTML tutorial

Zeak

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Garden City
Member #

When I started my build on my T4R The basic stuff was easy bumpers sliders Est. Now came time to build the inside. I pulled out my favorite garage bucket to sit on and started the build. when I was finished. It crossed my mind that I should have weighted the truck be for the build but to late. So a little help from OLB who may have a 4runner. Do you know what your 4runner weight is be for anything is added. I'm not sure if I over weighted mine. Thanks

Attachments

Reactions: Chadlyb

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Most armored and equiped "Overland" SUVs are going to be overweight once you add a few people and gear for more than an overnight stay. My 3rd Gen 4Runner weighed ~4900 lbs with a full tank and no driver. Though, to be fair, in addition to full armor and winch I also had a fridge, a sleeping platform, and a whole suite of tools and recovery gear.

With my wife and kid, 75lb worth of dog, and supplies for an overnight camping trip, we were easily looking at 5400lbs. That obviously went up if we brought friends or extra gear like bikes and what-not. Its GVRW was 5100lbs, and factory curb weight was around 3900.

Obviously, your 5th gen has a GVWR if 6300lb, so it has around 1600lb of capacity vs my original 1200. So, you have a little more leeway when it comes to weight, but I still imagine you will be close and could easily go over. That said, I wouldnt stress too much about it.

Reactions: Zeak

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I've found the advertized curb weight is usually pretty accurate +-150lbs. At least for my GM trucks. The 5th gen T4R shows a curb weight of 4,750 for the TRD Pro and Trail. The SR5 is listed as 4,400-4,675.

Reactions: Zeak

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Funny thing, I have looked into this too with my JKU, as my wife says we look like Grapes of Wrath when we go camping . That's why I am looking into the Big Brakes systems too. As the JKU is up armored and all the stuff for camping and a 80 lbs Lab. I find stopping sometimes is an adventure in it self. What they make for the Toys I don't know, but it is something to keep in mind....

Reactions: JCWages