Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

Our jeep club never actually went anywhere. Just played around in the woods. Trailered them to Kentucky twice a year. That's not ''overlanding''. I really don't care that a lightweight Jeep or whatever is a bit more capable off road, because my off roads are washed out dirt roads that a box stock F250 with lockers can cross easy.

Dirtbikes and horses are still better for hardcore trails, and for traveling around in circles in the woods. Jeeps can't haul them either.

But actually going somewhere in comfort? Give me a fullsize every time. Sleeping on the ground is getting old. A Ford version of the above might be in my future.

Last edited:

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I cant see or justify taking a $65,000 + vehicle off roading on any forest trail regardless of size.
I look at it slightly differently. I wouldn't take it out Rock crawling in bashing the hell out of it but when I buy a vehicle I gave certain expectations of it and I know that I will be taking it camping. This said I've never had $65,000 to spend on a vehicle but the ones I have bought new, I have taken off road to get to camps.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
My F250XL, fx4, CCSB, e locker, was only $38k. That darn camper above is $30k.

You don't want $10,000 leather seats for overlanding. The $15,000 diesel option is usually a waste as well. Not needed for piddly little overlanding trailers or campers. Don't buy into the hype options, and you can find nicely equipped full sizes for less than a Jeep. If you can handle a regular dashboard, instead of a 80" Oled screen, you can do truck and camper for less than your average suburban daddy special.

So it really depends on the task at hand, and quality of the stock vehicle. Some stock vehicles are more suited for certain tasks than others. But don't underestimate locker ready F250's and Ram 2500's. If they fit, they can climb like anything.

There's another plus to the fullsize Ford F250, Ram 2500: Your heavy RTT and cargo setup on a Jeep or 4runner, is considered ''unloaded and empty'' to us. Truck handles like a Camaro with such light loads.

Heck, Yukons and Suburbans are a textbook example of what NOT to choose for an overlandy fullsize. Low ground clearance, heavy as heck, tiny wheel wells, wimpy tie rods, very expensive, unlockable front axle, etc. But there's a ton of them having great success everywhere.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Heck, Yukons and Suburbans are a textbook example of what NOT to choose for an overlandy fullsize. Low ground clearance, heavy as heck, tiny wheel wells, wimpy tie rods, very expensive, unlockable front axle, etc. But there's a ton of them having great success everywhere.
@TahoePPV would beg to differ... check out the places he goes with a locked , lowered, police package Tahoe. Also depends on the vintage. The 1980s-1996ish are very capable beats right out of the box. Personally I was looking for a 1967-1980 Sub when I found the Bronco. The day after I bought my Bronco the guy who sold it to me had a 1990 Sub come up for sale that I almost bought... looking back in it, I should have.

With that I ride a stock Full Size Bronco. Even all the mods I’m doing to it are completely stock upgrades from later model year Ford F-series trucks. I’m leaving the Bronco the stock height with stock suspension. Upgrading the ECU to a modern ECU and changing out hard to find stock sensors to newer ones, Transmission is going from auto to manual out of a 1989 F-250 for durability.

Chevyman29

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Alabama, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Rodgers
Well I own a 65000 diesel denali for work. That said I found a used z71 Tahoe with rear locker and 33 inch tires for cheap. It goes every where my sons stock tj goes with 3 times the room and comfort . Of course it don't have a lockable front axle. But I'm not going rock crawling .
And I will say it's super nice to just blow up the air mattress and just sleep like a baby.

Had I known this thing was as capable as it is I never would've bought the 6 inch lift .....

If I was doing a 2 week adventure miles from civilization would I need upgrades ? Of course I would but so would anybody else .

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
My F250XL, fx4, CCSB, e locker, was only $38k. That darn camper above is $30k.

You don't want $10,000 leather seats for overlanding. The $15,000 diesel option is usually a waste as well. Not needed for piddly little overlanding trailers or campers. Don't buy into the hype options, and you can find nicely equipped full sizes for less than a Jeep. If you can handle a regular dashboard, instead of a 80" Oled screen, you can do truck and camper for less than your average suburban daddy special.

So it really depends on the task at hand, and quality of the stock vehicle. Some stock vehicles are more suited for certain tasks than others. But don't underestimate locker ready F250's and Ram 2500's. If they fit, they can climb like anything.

There's another plus to the fullsize Ford F250, Ram 2500: Your heavy RTT and cargo setup on a Jeep or 4runner, is considered ''unloaded and empty'' to us. Truck handles like a Camaro with such light loads.

The perfect vehicle is not just one but 3 or 4 for every occasion. It all depends on where your going, what you wanna do, how many people are going, how long your going to stay and how far you have to go to get to your destination. There are variables for everything. I have shotguns for bird hunting, big bore rifles for big game, small bore rifle for small game and some guns for in-between uses. Then we have those for self defense on top of it. Overlanding is no different. People with only one vehicle must choose what is best for the majority of uses for their needs. Everything should be a happy medium.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The perfect vehicle is not just one but 3 or 4 for every occasion. It all depends on where your going, what you wanna do, how many people are going, how long your going to stay and how far you have to go to get to your destination. There are variables for everything. I have shotguns for bird hunting, big bore rifles for big game, small bore rifle for small game and some guns for in-between uses. Then we have those for self defense on top of it. Overlanding is no different. People with only one vehicle must choose what is best for the majority of uses for their needs. Everything should be a happy medium.
This is so true... every vehicle has its compromises. Luckily sometimes a manufacturer puts out a very capable rig that can do it all without sacrificing as much (the new Bronco in example). I think the new Bronco is probably the most capable street to trail rig ever made, close seconds would be the “New” Dodge Powerwagon and the introduction of the Jeep Rubicon Package.

Prstone50

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Stone
I’ve been looking, watching and drooling on rigs and then I look at the price tags ! A used taco or Jeep run around 30k , that’s almost a year or more of world travel the way I look at it. I’m thinking running what I have and buying more gas is the best option for me :) !! Work less and adventure more !! I’ll keep this Silverado 1500 for a few more years I think.

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

While doing the suspension of my life 2005 Honda Pilot, I found a bit of rust. Not able to repair it we ended up with a used 2020 4runner TRD off road. I swapped the tires out for some Wildpeaks. We have owned this for a week. I am already so impressed with it. I don't think we will do any mods. Maybe a leveling kit from Beilstein 5100s (for the added suspension travel and only level the front because I can at that point, no lift for the rear)). This outfit is going to take us for many many years of trails.
20201006_163238.jpg
We went 4runner for the longevity of the rig. Anyway, here is a pic.

Paula - Canadian Explorer

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Nice! I have a 2015 and went across Canada - East to West - in 2017 without mods. Went to from Calgary to Labrador City, and back - without any mods, went on the Dempster Highway multiple times with snow, rain, etc., without mods. It handled the roads - paved, gravel, etc. beautifully, however, there were moments on certain back country roads where I got stuck, and the flooded roads on the Dempster in 2016 made me turn around. This year, I decided to add a lift, winch, lights, better battery, switch pro, etc. I did it because I did not want to be stuck again, or turn around because of road washouts.

Can you go overlanding with stock? Absolutely! My suggestion is that you carefully PLAN your trip: pick the routes, look at the weather,; have spare tire, tire repair kit, shovel, extra fuel, means of communication (InReach, satellite phone, or radio, etc.), and always carry an emergency kit (blanket, water, meds, candles, flashlight, etc).

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Can you go overlanding with stock? Absolutely! My suggestion is that you carefully PLAN your trip: pick the routes, look at the weather,; have spare tire, tire repair kit, shovel, extra fuel, means of communication (InReach, satellite phone, or radio, etc.), and always carry an emergency kit (blanket, water, meds, candles, flashlight, etc).
THIS ^^

Most mods to get past what got us stuck last year just guarantee we'll get better stuck next year. You can get stuck with anything. Drive accordingly.
My motto when overlanding remote and alone, stay in 2WD till I get stuck, the shift into 4WD and back up.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
THIS
My motto when overlanding remote and alone, stay in 2WD till I get stuck, then shift into 4WD and back up.
Good subject !
I'd like to see some discussion about this technique in driving. I dont know myself (not enough experience) but I dont think I would drive in 2wd on sketchy trails if I had 4wd available to me. I agree you can get anything stuck, that's why most of us have winches especially so if we go solo.

Yes you can put too much trust in your 4wd's ability if you dont have experience. That's why I'm asking this question. I've seen many 4wd rigs stuck many times (without even being out in the boon docks) because of inexperience or poor knowledge about the use of 4wd.

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

That's very good advice from Paula. It don't matter what you drive if you don't do the things she listed your just asking for trouble.
That's very good advice from Paula. It don't matter what you drive if you don't do the things she listed your just asking for trouble.
Hey Jim! How are things down in Alabama?
And yes, while overlanding (or just about anything you do in life), you either ‘fail to prepare....or you prepare to fail’
It’s really about choices.

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

THIS ^^

Most mods to get past what got us stuck last year just guarantee we'll get better stuck next year. You can get stuck with anything. Drive accordingly.
My motto when overlanding remote and alone, stay in 2WD till I get stuck, the shift into 4WD and back up.
....But getting stuck is the fun part, right?

Now, getting stuck ALONE in the middle of nowhere in our Northern wilderness and you see a grizzly approaching....fast...now, that’s the closest I got to peeing myself.... talk about making overlanding memories, eh?

Reactions: Captstout

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Good subject !
I'd like to see some discussion about this technique in driving. I dont know myself (not enough experience) but I dont think I would drive in 2wd on sketchy trails if I had 4wd available to me. I agree you can get anything stuck, that's why most of us have winches especially so if we go solo.

Yes you can put too much trust in your 4wd's ability if you dont have experience. That's why I'm asking this question. I've seen many 4wd rigs stuck many times (without even being out in the boon docks) because of inexperience or poor knowledge about the use of 4wd.
All the perks and rig potential you have is as good as the driver that operates it. I use 4WD (4HI or 4LO) according to the conditions of the road (sketchy roads, deep muddy roads, steep inclines, rocky or uneven terrain, etc.). I use my crawl control (4LO) in certain severe terrain as well (downhill or uphill), etc. I also went to overlanding courses - really fun, and you learn a lot about different terrain and your vehicle potential or refresh your skills.

Full disclosure: I only did the courses after some frustration of trying to overland on my own and not really understanding how to ‘read’ the road, and vehicle. No regrets!