Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Pretty cool idea. At least you can lift the fur babies up there. My hound is over 100#.

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
My dude is 80lb, and is one of the reasons I stick to a ground tent (there are plenty of other reasons). He zonks out on a mexican blanket on the floor of my Big Agnes car camping tent, and both of us are able to easily ingress/egress :)

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

Interesting idea to say the least. I just can’t imagine driving around with a wire crate on top of my truck!

I’ve got 2 Labs, one 85lb and one 60lb. We keep a hammock style seat cover in the back seat of the truck and that’s their space when offroad and/or camping. We keep windows cracked and they sleep in the truck while we stay in the RTT. Gives them a safe place to ride and a quiet place to sleep away from any predators.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Neat idea to keep the dogs up off the ground, especially if you aren't using the roof rack real estate for anything else. With it folding down, it is lower profile than most things people keep on their roof racks too.

For folks with big dogs who rule out an RTT because of it -- I'm a big fan of not lifting 70lbs objects that squirm over my head. Our solution is to get them to do it themselves:

We've since left the blanket behind and instead use stick-on ladder tread on the hood of our rigs so there is permanent grip for them. We like the ones I linked because they have a reflective strip so even in the dark the dogs are confident in where they are jumping with just the assistance from one of our headlamps. There are two Shepherds now in our family, and two adults and one kid, and we all fit in the tent with room to spare.

Last edited: