Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We bring our 12 year old German Shepard & it seems like we bring more stuff for her than we do for us..lol Along with all the regular dog food and medications, we make sure to have plenty of extra water, and a couple of her toys for her to chew on if she gets stressed. We removed the two thirds width section of seat bottom in the back of our wj and built a carpet covered plywood platform that extends out to the back of the front seat, that way she doesn't slide off the seat into the footwell when going over obstacles. Depending on the time of year we make sure she has something to keep her off the cold wet ground when camping. We are very conscious of extreme temperatures so she does not burn or freeze her paws, we plan on getting some protective boots for her before our next trip to Moab, its amazing how hot the sand and rocks can get. Most injuries can be handled with the same first aid kit that you carry for the humans in the vehicle. styptic powder and hydrogen peroxide solution are two additions we bring for the fur baby. We also have scanned copies of her rabies, medical certificate, and vet information on our phones in case they are requested at border crossings or by any authorities. We make sure her collar has current tags showing rabies shot, her name and our contact information, she is chipped and we have a current photo of her in case she gets lost, which is unlikely because she is always leashed, but accidents to happen. We do bring a good brush and some shampoo in case she gets into something gross, and a good evening brushing does seem to help ever so slightly with the continuous shedding, and is a good time to check for burrs, ticks and any injuries. Sometimes seems like a lot of work but she gets so excited when we start packing for a trip, she just loves it.

awesomezebra

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Swope
Member #

@OTH Overland I did not think about having copies of medical records, rabies vaccine and medical certificate. I will definitely add them to the list of things. Thanks for the info

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

20200727_071345.jpg
20200301_080450.jpg
20200223_175403.jpg
20200119_133311.jpg

I'm not allowed to go on adventures without my pups, they would be so mad!

I bring a lot of steel cables (about 40 feet in total), to make sure they can't chew through it and run off to hunt.

I pack a lot of food for them, mostly steak and eggs, they pretty much eat what I eat, but honestly they are not very hungry when we overland, they just want to hunt.

That is a good idea to bring medical records and papers, though I can't fine mine anymore...

They LOVE going on adventures.
20170810_111152.jpg
Its funny, I can't mention the word Jeep without them running to their harness.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Beyond all else, a real dog harness and tether which clips into a seat belt buckle. Wild animals and motorbikes can make the best trained pups unpredictable. Containing their enthusiasm while driving is maybe the most critical element of travelling with dogs.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Costco sells these really sturdy canvas dog beds. Thin but comfy, and can take a beating. We use it for our dogs during trips, and it sits in the backyard when we are home.

Collapsible dog bowl, lots of biodegradable poop bags, and towels just for them are a must. We use a ground tent, and we have one that has a zippable porch section. We have the dogs sleep on the porch section while we are in the main area. This is a great place for the dogs to retreat to when the skeeters and yellow jackets get thick as well. When it gets really cold, we have a tarp we use to cover the porch area. We use large binding clips to hold the tarp over and it works really well.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Just came back from 1700 miles of which about 500 was offroad. Dispersed camped 5 nights.

Max is 175lbs and get essentially all of the back (with seats folded down) except a 25q cooler and a medium food bin.

Dry food in a resealable container.
Precooked boneless chicken thighs/legs.
Collapsible water bowl, stainless food bowl becasue they don't make big enough ones in collapsible. He eats 10-12 cups dry with a 1/2lb of fresh meat on top.
Benadryl, Dramamine, Flagyl (Gut antibiotic), Ipecac.
A large king size comforter folded in 1/4's for bedding (have not found a quality dog bed in XXXL)

I bring a leash for stops around town, restaurants, breweries, etc but otherwise he goes off leash everywhere. He is well minded and rarely goes more than 100' from me at any point.

IMG_20201003_214316_058.jpg

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

I'm looking to bring my dog on more of my overland trips and I'm curious what gear are you bringing for you pets?
Nothing special other than a kennel. The dog may or may not ride in the kennel but if we domt have the German Shepard up in the roof tent he how’s in the kennel because the last thing I need is him trying to fight a bear or a coyote in the middle of the night

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
I've only brought one of my dogs a couple times. Good suggestion on the longer cables when at camp to let the dog roam a bit more freely. We've also carried her up to the RTT and that is always a fun chore...especially after a few drams of whisky. And I bring her dog bed, but she'd rather just lay on the ground.

53673D64-7C98-4DDE-A90C-B563625D9FFB.jpeg