EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
Pretty sure he meant a transmission in the traditional sense, i.e., multiple gears, shifting, etc.
Most EVs do not have multi-speed transmissions.
Instead, they use a single-speed transmission to manage the electric motor.
yeah what he said.
ORLY? Every current EV I can think of has a transmission, or transmissions of some sort. Rivians actually have two transmissions...

-TJ
yeah I suppose a single inverter is still considered a one speed "transmission". But certainly not a transmission in a traditional sense with lots of complex multiple gears and clutches. Most EV "transmissions" for example have just two or three moving parts and one gear compared to a typical automatic transmission with about 200 moving parts and many gears. The point being that an EV "transmission", as with the rest of the vehicle is very simple mechanically and requires less maintenance and repair.

Reactions: 0verlander

EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
This is the main reason I'm excited to see what the future brings in EVs built for off-road use.
As far as I'm concerned there are no drawbacks to them. Not for me.
Considering all the problems I've had and thousands upon thousands of dollars I've spent on repairs for the dozen or so ICE vehicles I've owned for the past 40 years, I'll take my (minimal) chances on another EV. When I bought my first EV I wasn't a tree hugger or an EV fanatic. It was right after C0vid started and gas prices skyrocketed. Electric for an EV was 1/4 the cost (based on mileage) so it was a no-brainer.
I needed a reliable car (that I can fit in at 6'6'') and that isn't a Focus, a Sentra, a Prius, or any of the typical econoboxes you normal people can drive.
So I picked the Chevy Bolt EV. It was FAR less expensive to maintain than any car or truck I'd ever owned and electricity to fuel it was much much cheaper than the fuel I would have paid for if it had been an ice vehicle. For the few years I owned it, I never had to do anything but replace the wiper blades and cabin air filter. I had the brakes checked a couple of times just to make sure they were okay since I never used them due to my expert ability to use regen. It also only cost me $20k to buy it because it was used. I sold it for $19k nearly 3 years later too. I see the same vehicle going for the same price today, 3 years later. (I bought mine 3 years old with 30k mi) When the battery recall came out, Chevy could not have treated me better... They paid for a rental for the entire week the dealership had my Bolt to replace the battery. Then they gave me a new 8-year/100k mile warranty... on a 5-year-old car. Haha. EV anxiety? Nope. So I'll be getting another one soon. I have zero range anxiety or fear of "what might happen". I don't live that way. I've never even used a charger other than the Level 1 charger at home so I couldn't care less about charging infrastructure. I just plugged it in every day when I got home and used it as my daily driver. Once a month I'd go to the VA which was about an hour away. It did that with no problem, with the A/C blasting, the radio thumping, and with my heavy right foot mashed down. All in all, my experience has proven that EVs are the best way to go, for me, as far as a super reliable daily driver goes.
I'm curious to see what the future holds for an EV that is a capable off-roader but that can still be had for under $50k.
I heard about the e-Wrangler but I have zero interest in anything made by Jeep. They're the least reliable brand I've owned. Toyota has been the most.
So a 4Runner EV or better yet, an FJ EV would be ideal.
:grinning:
Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head. It's interesting, when I started the thread I had forgotten how much EVs are still not fully embraced or understood by most people. Having owned and driven one it just a no brainer around mostly around cities and suburbs. The first few months of using an EV felt like duh thats how things should work. Around here an EV saves money, is easy to operate, does not break down, is super fast, better torque, better for the environment, quiet, smooth etc etc. But the naysayers on this forum have one very legitimate concern which is EV range and access to fast chargers. But it is the overlanding community where this problem is most acute hence the desire to start this thread and vet some practical solutions (like remote off grid solar chargers).

The Jeep 4xE is a hybrid not a full electric EV. While probably more practical solution for many overlanders, the fact that it has an ICE defeats the whole purpose at least for me. When I went EV I went all in.

EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
Don't discount the number of modules and amount of wiring in an EV. Not even factoring for off pavement, regular main highways in other countries can be worse than the slow going dirt tracks. I know of more rigs breaking on the highway than off pavement during our travels. The constant vibration and pounding is what does things in. We have friends that were in a seven figure rig, it was remarkably crafted by a professional company, they started with air-ride. After a few months off pavement in Canada and Alaska they had the air-ride system disconnected. What they learned was their comfort to push harder was systematically destroying their habitation and had broken several components on their chassis. We expected to see them again further south but they turned around in Mexico and sold their rig. Another friend we met in Mexico, who was also heading south, made it as far as Guatemala then turned around. He worked support for the Dakar, as a paid employee, and had already overlanded most of Africa but the regular road conditions were so bad he couldn't willingly destroy his Iveco...as he put it. There was no reprieve, every now and then there would be a newly paved road but one could not count on it. Nothing, including the iconic Land Cruiser, can take the abuse without issues. The common failures I mentioned above were due to the road conditions and not the manufacturing of the items themselves (well, not intentional deficient manufacturing). I know of Go Power banks that have been fine for almost a decade here in the states but I didn't come across one that made it all the way south. Ewan McGreggor said it best "bad roads are worse than off-road."

As for repairs, mechanical is superior as many countries still have machine shops everywhere. Alternators, power steering pumps, starters, etc. can all be rebuilt. Coming from a disposable, just throw parts at it society, doesn't work in the majority of the world. Even then, the quality of the available parts is mostly Chinese knock offs so having things rebuilt is preferable. Everyone we know had to import a part except for those that took a tip top rig and spent just at or under two years overlanding (fixed things when they shipped back home). I could go on and on but modern vehicles are great for the conditions they were engineered for but horrible under the slightest change in conditions. Even the Mercedes Sprinter, the go to for most van lifers, is hated by many who attempt to overland in them. It's a pavement princess that can get you down a dusty road or two but eventually, if pushed, it will never be able to be properly aligned. We have friends that travelled in a van like ours, switched to a Sprinter, and switched back after one year. They joke that they "must be more redneck than they think" but it was the lack of capability that had them returning to straight axles and a solid frame. I know of an EV that has driven the Pan-Am, the actual proper highway. I think, how sad as the best parts of every country are way off the truck routes.

The largest thing I didn't even mention was electricity. We couldn't plug in and we purposely built our rig that way. We know of people that had their electrical systems fried from electricity spikes. Also, the cost in many places is astronomical based on local income. It was very common to have an additional $5 or more per day fee to run an A/C. Sounds like peanuts but for many places that doubled the cost. We'd pay $5 and friends that wanted to run their A/C had to pay $10. Many times the electricity would go out but they still had to pay since they did use their A/C when it was up. The remote places, there isn't even running water or cell coverage. If the local grid could take the energy demand it could get pricey but maybe it would even out with fuel in the end or just stick to the major routes and cities...in that case we'd just prefer to not go.
Yeah all good points. Although, just like the transition from steam engine to ICE took decades so will the transition to electric. People still drive a 1957 chevy in Cuba because they have the parts and know how to repair them and don't have access to modern cars as much. Assuming we solve the range and remote access to charging issue (I think we will for a number reasons) I cant imagine that a vehicle with just three moving parts could ever truly be less reliable then a vehicle with hundreds of moving parts that most ICE vehicles have in their transmission alone. Remember too that ICEs have had a 100 year head start on engineering so it may take a little while for the EV to catch up in terms of mastering the engineering. There is no question in my mind that the simplicity of an EV would eventually win out over an ICE and transmission in terms of reliability. But your point is quite valid now in 2024 when EVs are so young. ICEs are tried and tested and remote access to EV charging is few and far that is true. athough no one says that an EV has to ride on air shocks for example. My IONIQ 5 in fact has more traditional suspension. In the end I suppose that the best and most reliable solution will win out and need to be throughly vetted for the overlanding applications. I'm excited to witness the transition to solid state 600 mile range, swappable batteries, and remote charging. I don't think we will be having the same conversation about reliability in the next decade but who knows. By then the second generation EVs will be at their 500k miles so we will see. Plus the overlanding market has not really been tackled seriously yet for EV. We have the rivian rs1 that costs a billion dollars and the subaru soltera that is lacking, the ID4 and my lifted Ioniq 5 haha. Perhaps the Rivian R2, perhaps a toyota 4 runner ev with solid state battery will be the winner??

A couple years ago a team raced a VW ID4 EV 1000 miles across Baja. They came in almost last place because they had to stop and charge several times and also lost a bumper but the car did fairly well mechanically. I think they blew out one rear shock but it was an aftermarket lift kit that they just swapped back to the stock configuration and finished the race. The ID4 got stuck in deep sand once but the car was a rear wheel drive back then and two of the chase vehicle ICE buggies got stuck as well.

Another team won the 1500 mile Rebelle Rally in a Rivian beating out a bunch of 4runners, jeeps and a few bronco raptors. The Rivian apparently held up without any issues using the stock configuration.

I think we will get there at some point soon. We don't have a choice. Fossil fuel supplies are finite. Overlanders may one day fully embrace the power of the sun.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head. It's interesting, when I started the thread I had forgotten how much EVs are still not fully embraced or understood by most people. Having owned and driven one it just a no brainer around mostly around cities and suburbs. The first few months of using an EV felt like duh thats how things should work. Around here an EV saves money, is easy to operate, does not break down, is super fast, better torque, better for the environment, quiet, smooth etc etc. But the naysayers on this forum have one very legitimate concern which is EV range and access to fast chargers. But it is the overlanding community where this problem is most acute hence the desire to start this thread and vet some practical solutions (like remote off grid solar chargers).

The Jeep 4xE is a hybrid not a full electric EV. While probably more practical solution for many overlanders, the fact that it has an ICE defeats the whole purpose at least for me. When I went EV I went all in.

Do you have a solar system and battery at home?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

yeah what he said.

yeah I suppose a single inverter is still considered a one speed "transmission". But certainly not a transmission in a traditional sense with lots of complex multiple gears and clutches. Most EV "transmissions" for example have just two or three moving parts and one gear compared to a typical automatic transmission with about 200 moving parts and many gears. The point being that an EV "transmission", as with the rest of the vehicle is very simple mechanically and requires less maintenance and repair.
How in the world is an inverter a transmission? Do you know what an inverter is, or does? I don't think you understand EVs very well. Almost all EVs have a transmission (by the definition of what a transmissions is) and yes some are multi-speed (Taycans for example have a 2-speed). A very good friend of mine designed and programmed the robotics that marry the electric motors to the transmissions in Tesla Model 3s, then load them on a test-rig. I'm very confident it's a transmission, I've toured the plant with him and seen the transmissions both assembled, and as a table of parts.

I wasn't making a statement about an EV trans having the same number of gears, or clutches as your typical "torque converter auto" in an ICE. My point was simple: you emphatically declared "EVs don't have transmissions" which is patently false. I would never suggest, or contend that EVs do not have less overall moving parts as compared to ICE vehicles, or that they require as much maintenance. However, your assertion was simply wrong. More to the point, EVs *do* have far more complicated and sensitive drive control electronics. Things we regularly do as "Overlanders" such as water-crossings can be problematic for EVs. Sure, you can point out modern ICE Overland-capable vehicles; particularly luxury offerings, also have tons of computers along with very complex infotainment and HVAC systems and even complex/fragile air susp etc. but I'd simply suggest those aren't ideal Overlanders either.

If you want to speak from a position of authority, and use the name "EV-offroad" perhaps you should begin by better informing yourself on the subject.

-TJ

Last edited:
  • Sad

Mogs And Dogs

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Long Beach, California, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Cross
Member #

Some very valuable points from a clearly experienced overlander. With your well stated comments above I add the following considerations to the conversation.

one of things that attracted me personally to an EV was in fact it’s simplicity. The EV is essentially a battery and motor. That’s it. There are no mechanical water pumps, engines, transmissions etc. all the complicated electronics like the entertainment systems and cruise control are the same they put in every other new vehicle including ICEs. And I agree less is more here. I have driven for 3 years in an EV without a single issue. No service visits, no oil change, no new brakes needed. Nothing. After beating the car up a little off road I ince noticed the passenger seat bolt came slightly loose and started to rattle. I tightened it as I would in an ICE. I suppose the AC unit could die or need service some day but it is a heat pump system with few moving parts so not too worried.

Apart from needing to change the battery out every ten years Tesla expects that most of their chassis will last 500k to 1 million miles. And why wouldn’t they. EVs are essentially skateboards with a motor. Very simple fundamentally.

I suppose as we get further and further away from fossil fuels the question of how rugged an EV is will become more clear. However, at least from my own experience what concerns me most about your tale is not whether or not my EV would break down, it’s whether or not I could find a remote charging station out there. Your point about what makes overlanding true overlanding based in miles driven is a valid one.
His is the most compelling argument I have heard so far, obviously from some impressive experience.

As you stated, most of that stuff is not only an issue with EVs though. Any modern ICE vehicle will include a lot of that stuff as well.

I do wonder if a simpler EV could be produced and sold. Something that only has an electric drive train and does away with all of the other electronic stuff like screens, sensors, retractable door handles, self-driving, etc.

EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
It
How in the world is an inverter a transmission? Do you know what an inverter is, or does? I don't think you understand EVs very well. Almost all EVs have a transmission (by the definition of what a transmissions is) and yes some are multi-speed (Taycans for example have a 2-speed). A very good friend of mine designed and programmed the robotics that marry the electric motors to the transmissions in Tesla Model 3s, then load them on a test-rig. I'm very confident it's a transmission, I've toured the plant with him and seen the transmissions both assembled, and as a table of parts.

I wasn't making a statement about an EV trans having the same number of gears, or clutches as your typical "torque converter auto" in an ICE. My point was simple: you emphatically declared "EVs don't have transmissions" which is patently false. I would never suggest, or contend that EVs do not have less overall moving parts as compared to ICE vehicles, or that they require as much maintenance. However, your assertion was simply wrong. More to the point, EVs *do* have far more complicated and sensitive drive control electronics. Things we regularly do as "Overlanders" such as water-crossings can be problematic for EVs. Sure, you can point out modern ICE Overland-capable vehicles; particularly luxury offerings, also have tons of computers along with very complex infotainment and HVAC systems and even complex/fragile air susp etc. but I'd simply suggest those aren't ideal Overlanders either.

If you want to speak from a position of authority, and use the name "EV-offroad" perhaps you should begin by better informing yourself on the subject.

-TJ
I never intended to make it that complicated . EVs don’t have as many moving parts and certainly not in the “transmission” as you call it. Having personally rebuilt automatic transmissions with all the clutches, pressurized fluids and seals, and dozens of gears that shift position in an ICE (a 3 speed Chevy) I can tell you that they seem way more complicated and have many many more moving parts compared to an EV. I did not know we were conversing with a transmission expert so my apologies for misquoting the terminology. Yes semantically you can call the 2 gears in an EV a “transmission” if that makes you more happy but I think we agree that it’s not even in the same realm of a traditional transmission. I think that the others understood this point. And the point being that the few static gears in an EV are much less likely to fail than a traditional transmission. I guess an old pencil sharpener also technically has a transmission but I never thought of it that way. My bad.

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

It

I never intended to make it that complicated . EVs don’t have as many moving parts and certainly not in the “transmission” as you call it. Having personally rebuilt automatic transmissions with all the clutches and seals and dozens of gears that shift position in an ICE I can tell you that they are way more complicated and have many many more moving parts compared to an EV. Yes semantically you can call the 2 gears in an EV a transmission if that makes you more happy but it’s not even in the same realm of a traditional transmission. I think that the others understood this point. And the point being one is much more likely to fail than the other.
Dude, it's not "as I call it." EVs have transmissions as the manufacturers themselves call it.. It's a transmission, period. It (are you ready for this) transmits the power from the motor to the axles, period. Also, you clearly don't understand how transmissions work in an ICE either. Can you tell me which gears "shift positions"? It's not semantics, the Taycan has a true, 2 speed TRANSMISION. It's just a fact... and it has a lot more than "2 gears":

1709745595877.png

You also haven't defended your assertion that an inverter can be called a transmission, or that it would be akin to a transmission in an EV. You do not understand how EVs nor ICE vehicles work... which is fine. Use this as an opportunity to educate yourself, especially if you want to become an "authority" on these subjects.

1709745635835.png

-TJ

EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
Dude, it's not "as I call it." EVs have transmissions as the manufacturers themselves call it.. It's a transmission, period. It (are you ready for this) transmits the power from the motor to the axles, period. Also, you clearly don't understand how transmissions work in an ICE either. Can you tell me which gears "shift positions"? It's not semantics, the Taycan has a true, 2 speed TRANSMISION. It's just a fact... and it has a lot more than "2 gears":

View attachment 274919

You also haven't defended your assertion that an inverter can be called a transmission, or that it would be akin to a transmission in an EV. You do not understand how EVs nor ICE vehicles work... which is fine. Use this as an opportunity to educate yourself, especially if you want to become an "authority" on these subjects.

View attachment 274920

-TJ
OK I concede that I forgot to put the words “traditional automatic clutch based multi speed” in front of the word transmission in my original post. I never claimed to be an expert, just an enthusiast who has experience with an EV and eyes that still work. But If we have to call the single speed - two gears in an Ioniq 5 a transmission then the pencil sharpener is also a transmission by definition. And semantically you would be correct.

I attach below an image of a pencil sharpener and the Ioniq 5 motor with two gears. My point was only that the lack of a “traditional” transmission is one reason for the simplicity of an EV. We have not even talked about the difference between a motor and an ICE. Again I’m not an expert mechanic but have rebuilt an old small block V8 in the past. I’m pretty sure that it has more moving parts than an EV motor. That was supposed to be the point when I was responding to the comment about overlanders breaking down and needing to locate parts.

i have no idea what technology will win in the end and which will prove to be more reliable in the long run. We are just debating the possibilities here with the information and experience we have on hand. EVs just have less moving parts dude. Sorry. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Attachments

• Haha

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Not fair to call the "inverter" a transmission. It's not.

And it's just a speed control. They just had to call it an "inverter" because toy cars have speed controls. Engineers have lame egos.

Reactions: EV-offroad

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Not fair to call the "inverter" a transmission. It's not.

And it's just a speed control. They just had to call it an "inverter" because toy cars have speed controls. Engineers have lame egos.
Also not actually true. All modern EVs run AC motors. All modern EVs have DC battery packs. The inverter is there to... invert AC to DC. Generally the "speed control" is also handled by the "inverter" so it's more than just an inverter. But it I completely agree: it's not a transmission at all, in any way. And I still contend (as backed by actual data) all modern EVs have a transmission, as the word itself is defined.

My issue with @EV-offroad was they stated "EVs don't have transmissions" as a fact, when that is certainly untrue. Again, I don't think that (in general) EV transmissions are as complicated as ICE transmissions, nor do they require as much maintenance. I just think if someone is going to come onto a forum and preach the gospel of EV, they should at least understand the technology.

The fact that they thought I was referring to the inverter when I said "all modern EVs have transmissions" shows they doesn't understand the technology at all. Assuming we grant him that the inverter generally also encompasses the speed controller, that'd be like stating "the throttle body in a gasoline ICE (or injection pump/injector controller in a diesel ICE) is a transmission."

I'm not trying to 'hate' (as the kids would say) on the guy (or gal) or EVs in general. I just take issue with someone trying to preach at a group that might also not understand the technology when they clearly don't have a basic understanding of it themselves.

-TJ

EDIT: as to not make it look like I'm "covering my tracks" I will make my correction here. I obviously slipped-up when I posted about the directionality of the inverter. My bad. As I stated, in modern EVs the motor(s) are AC and the battery pack is DC. As such, the inverter inverts DC to AC, not the other way around as I mistakenly posted.

Last edited:
  • Sad

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Nope. Inverters turn DC (Direct Current) into AC (Alternating Current).
You are 1000% right. I don't know everything, and I also make mistakes. If you read my whole post, you'll see I pointed out that EV motors are AC, and their battery packs are DC. I made a mistake in typing up my response when I said the inverter is there to convert AC into DC. Again, if you ready my post that is clear. That said, what I posted about the inverter is factually inaccurate, and I admit that.

-TJ

Last edited:

0verlander

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Prescott, AZ, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Edward
You are 1000% right. I don't know everything, and I also make mistakes. If you read my whole post, you'll see I pointed out that EV motors are AC, and their battery packs are DC. I made a mistake in typing up my response when I said the inverter is there to convert AC into DC. Again, if you ready my post that is clear. That said, what I posted about the inverter is factually inaccurate, and I admit that.

-TJ
Oh, I won't debate you on whether you're stating facts or not, that much is clear.
It's just the way you're going about it, at least in this guy's thread, kinda makes you sound like a jerk.
That doesn't mean you are one, I'm just saying, there's a way to inform people they made a mistake,
educate and inform them, and there's... whatever you're doing.
Just seems like you're trying to embarrass the guy for making a few mistakes.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Oh, I won't debate you on whether you're stating facts or not, that much is clear.
It's just the way you're going about it, at least in this guy's thread, kinda makes you sound like a jerk.
That doesn't mean you are one, I'm just saying, there's a way to inform people they made a mistake,
educate and inform them, and there's... whatever you're doing.
Meh, I'm mostly a jerk. ;)

The point I was trying to make; for the sake of the community at large, is that an inverter isn't a transmission. It seems pretty clear that my mistake was a typo, nothing more.

My intent in responding repeatedly to the OP is that it's not all that cool to asspose incorrect information intentionally over and over. EVs (tend to) have transmissions. An inverter is not a transmission. I think we can all agree on these things with a basic understanding of how an EV works.

-TJ

0verlander

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Prescott, AZ, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Edward
Meh, I'm mostly a jerk. ;)

The point I was trying to make; for the sake of the community at large, is that an inverter isn't a transmission. It seems pretty clear that my mistake was a typo, nothing more.

My intent in responding repeatedly to the OP is that it's not all that cool to asspose incorrect information intentionally over and over. EVs (tend to) have transmissions. An inverter is not a transmission. I think we can all agree on these things with a basic understanding of how an EV works.

-TJ
Okay so for the sake of argument subtle debate, (and my own education) doesn't the inverter in an EV change the wheel speed?
If so, doesn't it technically perform the same function as the gears in an ICE transmission?
Is it really that far-fetched to think of the inverter as a transmission?

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Okay so for the sake of argument subtle debate, (and my own education) doesn't the inverter in an EV change the wheel speed?
If so, doesn't it technically perform the same function as the gears in an ICE transmission?
Is it really that far-fetched to think of the inverter as a transmission?
No, the inverter in and of itself does not change wheel speed in an EV. As you correctly stated, the inverter inverts DC to AC in order to provide power to the electric motor(s). That said, the speed controller does control motor speed/output in an EV speed, and is often packaged with or incorporated into the inverter.

By definition, a transmission doesn't control wheel speed as a first order effect. Yes, a multi-speed transmission will alter wheel speed as compared to motor/engine RPM, but it does *not* control it. The analog here; as I stated before, is the speed controller in an EV (which for the sake of argument we'll say is one in the same as the inverter) is akin to the throttle body in a gasoline ICE, or the injection pump/injection control in a diesel ICE.

Would you call the throttle body on a gasoline motor a transmission?

I assume not, and as such the speed controller for the electric motor(s) in an EV is also not a transmission. Further, if we take away our assumption that the inverter and speed controller are on in the same, the inverter itself isn't even directly comparable to a throttle body (or injection pump/electronic control of the injectors for diesel) on an ICE.

-TJ

0verlander

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Prescott, AZ, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Edward
No, the inverter in and of itself does not change wheel speed in an EV. As you correctly stated, the inverter inverts DC to AC in order to provide power to the electric motor(s). That said, often the speed controller (essentially an electric throttle) does control wheel speed, and is often packaged with or incorporated into the inverter.

By definition, a transmission doesn't control wheel speed as a first order effect. Yes, a multi-speed transmission will alter wheel speed as compared to motor/engine RPM, but it does *not* control it. The analog here; as I stated before, is the speed controller in an EV (which for the sake of argument we'll say is one in the same as the inverter) is akin to the throttle body in a gasoline ICE, or the injection pump/injection control in a diesel ICE.

Would you call the throttle body on a gasoline motor a transmission?

I assume not, and as such the speed controller for the electric motor(s) in an EV is also not a transmission. Further, if we take away our assumption that the inverter and speed controller are on in the same, the inverter itself isn't even directly comparable to a throttle body (or injection pump/electronic control of the injectors for diesel) on an ICE.

-TJ

You know, another name for an inverter is an "AC Drive".
Coincidence? I think not.

Reactions: EV-offroad

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

You know, another name for an inverter is an "AC Drive".
Coincidence? I think not.
Is that a scientific definition, or an idiom? If we take "inverter" to mean the thing that both provides, and meters current to the electric motor, is it not far more similar to a throttle body than a transmission?

The actual force that drives an EV is never transmitted through the inverter, in the same way actual force is not transmitted through a throttle body.

A transmission transmits power, physical force.

An inverter (again, assuming we take it to mean the entire system which inverts and meters current) meters the energy going to the electric motor(s) in an EV. It does not transmit any physical drive force directly to the drivetrain. A throttle body meters the air going to a gasoline ICE, the ECU (let's just assume we're talking modern stuff... but all of this holds for a carbureted application at a fundamental level) then compensates fuel delivery, and therefore the actual power (well, torque) output of an ICE.

Think of it this way, does the throttle in an ICE control the transmission or a throttle body (yes, via computers at this point with most things being drive-by-wire now)?

-TJ

Last edited: