EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
Now that EV's are getting more popular I thought you all might want to consider the subaru solterra or if you have the budget maybe a Rivian. Others have lifted the Tesla Model Y with success as well. I was excited about the new AWD Hyundai IONIQ 5 which has better range and charging speed than the Solterra but the stock ground clearance is a dismal 6.4". Thus the need to lift it a few inches and put on larger more capable tires. Here was the result below which I posted on YouTube. FYI I am really loving the whole EV experience to be honest and may never go back to gas. If you live in rural Wyoming where fast charging stations are sometimes 100 miles away then an EV may still not be the best option or value for money. But on the east coast and when going camping less than 200 miles round trip, the IONIQ 5 has been a great friend. I saved about 700 gallons of gas this year which is also good. Anyway just thought I would get the discussion going and gather like minded enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0verlander

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I go overlanding to get away from people, often well out of range of any chargers. Just means there won’t be any EV folks around either:). I don’t ever expect the range of EV’s to get high enough to interest me. While I certainly enjoy the journey, taking twice as long to get there while charging doesn’t. It’s not about saving money to me. If it was, I’d stay home.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
While I don't think overlanding or camping from one is for me, I do enjoy the novelty and am interested in the technology. I can totally see owning one, but just not as my adventure vehicle. And a 100k Rivian just doesn't do it for me.

EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
No thanks, I’ll keep driving my ICE vehicles. I’m still not over giving up manual transmission.
I do miss manual transmission for sure. Technically an EV can have some sort of manual transmission (and that may come soon) but anyhing more than 2 or perhaps 3 gears would be completely unnecessary because the torque range is so good throughout with electric motors. You do notice that the ungodly blast off torque felt in an EV from 0-50mph begins to taper off quite a bit at highway speeds.

Last edited:

EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
I go overlanding to get away from people, often well out of range of any chargers. Just means there won’t be any EV folks around either:). I don’t ever expect the range of EV’s to get high enough to interest me. While I certainly enjoy the journey, taking twice as long to get there while charging doesn’t. It’s not about saving money to me. If it was, I’d stay home.
Valid points for sure. I think as the EV technology evolves we will see more and more configurations and solutions. When ICE cars replaced steam engines they were incredibly inefficient and had poor range with limited access to petrol stations. Even my old 1967 camaro which burned through gas at 13 mpg, got less driving range than my new IONIQ 5 does. I suspect that we are at another crossroads. Ten years ago, in addition to being expensive, EVs could drive maybe 100 miles and there were few charging stations. Now the IONIQ 5 will drive 250 miles and charge in 18 minutes using a solar powered fast charging station like the one in my apartment building. In fact, the likelihood of seeing remote EV charging stations is realistic. See below an example of a remote solar powered EV charging station with battery backup that can be installed by two people in just one day at a cost of about $50k. That is a lot less expensive and practical than asking a small town council to install a petrol station at a remote location. I'm convinced that if there was a nuclear apocalypse and the country looked like a scene out of a Mad Max movie, I might prefer an EV and a few portable solar panels. Five portable solar panels purchased from Amazon would take you about a week to fully recharge your EV but you would never have to face civilization again.

EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
The EV will never have the same sound as a flat 6, V-8 or V12 and sadly nor will it have the driver / machine engagement or road feel of ICE / manual transmission vehicles.
I have to say that I agree that the feel and sound of a 5 speed manual transmission paired with a punchy petrol engine is pure delight. There are always trade offs however. The torque, simplicity, freedom, and quiet serenity of an EV pairs well with nature. I love my mp3 player but still also buy vinyl for the analogue feel.

Reactions: MiamiC70

EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
While I don't think overlanding or camping from one is for me, I do enjoy the novelty and am interested in the technology. I can totally see owning one, but just not as my adventure vehicle. And a 100k Rivian just doesn't do it for me.
Its definitely a technology in transition. My EV now gets better range than my old 1967 camaro did. For about $35k one can get a brand new Hyundai Kona EV, lift it 2", and put on some all terrain tires for overlanding pleasure. We just need folks to install a few more solar charging stations in remote locations and we are set for deep adventures. A fast charger will fully recharge an IONIQ 5 and provide another 250 miles of travel in just 18 minutes. Thats usually just enough time to grab a coffee and stretch.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Isn't it kind of backwards that we are traveling to get out there and get away from people and in the same breath you are wanting remote solar powered charging stations in that wilderness space? I just don't track that logic.

EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
Yeah, should only take a week or two to charge the EV!
True for the portable solar panels unless you purchased ten of them at $300 each! More realistic is to have a few solar charging stations installed in strategic remote areas. Remote solar charging station like PairedPower would fully charge EV in 1 hour. These charge at 60kW and have battery backup for charging at night. They are a good idea for emergency scenarios as well where 120v are required eg charging dead cell phone or laptop. The stations have a gps, an emergency call box and would support an emergency defibrillator. Put water collection tank there as well and it could save some lives before a helicopter arrives.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Until the infrastructure for EV charging stations in the mainstream world expand, EV use will lag......and you want someone to pay/install an EV charging station out in the wilderness? From outer space elevations that's a nice thought/dream............we live in a 500 foot elevation world! It's simply not practical and not going to happen.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Bit off the topic of overlanding in one, but I have to say that the "disconnection" between vehicle and operator isn't in the motor, it's in the computers controlling the motor.

I used to have an electric go-kart and it had zero tech between the pedal and the motor. Wasn't even analog. Push the pedal to the metal, and it pushed a button that closed the circuit and powered the wheels. Boy, it was a hoot.

Modern road-worthy vehicles, ICE or electric, have extremely sophisticated tech to prevent the user from experiencing the full power of the motor, or "accidentally" over-exerting the motor and breaking traction. Electronic control units, electronic fuel injection managed by drive-by-wire, and all of that being drowned under traction control and a 12-speed automatic transmission will kill the fun in any car, regardless of what makes the wheels spin.

A driver simply can't connect to a car when there are 5 layers of computer tech separating the two. Remove all that, and I promise you that I could have as much fun with an electric car as a gas one.

Still doesn't solve the fuel issue, though.

EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
Until the infrastructure for EV charging stations in the mainstream world expand, EV use will lag......and you want someone to pay/install an EV charging station out in the wilderness? From outer space elevations that's a nice thought/dream............we live in a 500 foot elevation world! It's simply not practical and not going to happen.
Already happening. A remote solar charge station costs $60k to install. How much does it cost to install a petrol station?

Last edited:

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Already happening. A remote slake charge station costs $60k to install. How much does it cost to install a petrol station?

You missed the point...I will humbly exit this discussion and let you live your dream.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

As battery technologies continue to improve range anxiety will no longer be an issue and there may even be electric vehicles in a few years with a greater theoretical daily driving range than their gas powered counterparts. At that point it would make no sense to have a charging facility in remote wilderness just like it wouldn’t make sense to have a gas pump there today.

EV-offroad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Tversky
As battery technologies continue to improve range anxiety will no longer be an issue and there may even be electric vehicles in a few years with a greater theoretical daily driving range than their gas powered counterparts. At that point it would make no sense to have a charging facility in remote wilderness just like it wouldn’t make sense to have a gas pump there today.
I can’t argue with that logic although keep in mind

a) having a charge point or petrol station within 100 miles is never an inconvenience for the driver, b) remote solar stations are cheaper, require less maintenance, and have less negative environmental impact than a gas station, c) remote solar charge station can easily be moved and does not require a human being at checkout.