• HTML tutorial

ashleyroscoe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Whitewater, Wisconsin
Member #

Hi-- Newer member here.

I have read a couple threads on here on overloading with kayaks and such, but my question is for longer term use.

My roof rack is (or will be.. haven't gotten/installed yet) the Smittybilt 76713 SRC Roof Rack. My rig is a 2000 Jeep Wrangler, Sahara. My kayak is a Sun Dolphin Journey 10-foot Sit-on-top fishing kayak.

How does one secure their kayak for long term use? Meaning, my kayak would sometimes be on top of my rack while I am not present, sometimes for hours/nights at a time.

Reasoning: I want to keep my kayak with me, but I live in a dorm/apartment, where I have no enclosed parking. I park in an open lot. I may store it at my friends cabin for when I know I won't be able to use it for a week or two. But, there is going to be nights where I am going out kayaking early that next morning, and don't want to drive 30+ minutes out of the way to pick up the kayak.

So, how would you guys go about this? I am a novice- so please be aware I may ask a lot of (sometimes super obvious) questions. Thanks in advance!!

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 2.51.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-14 at 2.51.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-14 at 2.51.36 PM.png

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

ashleyroscoe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Whitewater, Wisconsin
Member #

I have these: https://suspenz.com/collections/accessories/products/universal-kayak-locking-system-large-13-19

I wrap them around the kayaks and through the rack. Of course someone with a cable cutter could get them, but they could cut a lock, too. Mostly for the casual theft prevention.

(Moving to Overland Related Recreation forum with the other kayak threads.)

Thanks-- I will for sure look more into these.

Thanks for moving this to the correct spot- My bad!! Still learning how to navigate this forum

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Steve

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Find a small storage unit that is 10 ft tall.

Cable locks through scupper holes is the easiest option.

I also live in a place where I have to worry about sticky fingers so I built a kayak trailer. It later evolved into a full camping utility trailer.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I use a variety of locks to secure stuff on the roof rack:
Python Locks - several can be joined together if you need it to reach further.
Lock alarm cable - believe me, it's painfully loud.
Combination of both used to secure just about anything on the roof (kayaks, tents, bikes, wolf boxes etc... etc...) - all only as a reasonable deterrent, if the thieves want your kit, they'll get it, but at least it keeps the opportunist at bay.

Ohhhgeee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona de Tucson, Arizona, United States
First Name
Oscar
Last Name
Guerrero
Member #

I’m a kayak fisherman and I leave mine on my truck the night prior to going on a fishing trip. It saves me time and it’s less of a chance of waking up the family when I leave at 4-5am. I like to use a bicycle U-lock and an ABUS chain lock. I use the chain to go around the scuppers and lock it to the rack. I then use the U-Lock On a handle also locked to the rack. The handle has square drive screws. If somebody really wants the kayak, they’ll find a way to do it but they’re gonna leave with a pretty messed up kayak if they do. I wouldn’t bother with cable locks, they can be cut way to easy. Bike locks or a strong chain will be harder for someone to break. I’ll post some pics next time I go out.

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

Not super useful here but i have an inflatable kayak that i keep in my car when i need to lock it up. I have a large enough container to store it in while wet so my forester doesn't get water damaged and holds the accessories i need for it (pumps, paddles, pfds, etc).

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
With my whitewater kayak I have always run a bike lock through the carry handle and around the roof rack. In the area I use to live kayak theft was frequent in the WW community where boats easily run up into the $1000s.

Clarkk

Rank I

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Clark
A cable lock is the most reliable for kayak owners. It’s inserted through scupper holes or made as a loop around a kayak. You can lock your kayak through a number combination or simply a key.

Last edited:

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I have these: Universal Kayak & Canoe Locking Cables

I wrap them around the kayaks and through the rack. Of course someone with a cable cutter could get them, but they could cut a lock, too. Mostly for the casual theft prevention.

(Moving to Overland Related Recreation forum with the other kayak threads.)
I manage to lock up 2 kayaks at the same time with this on my roof rack...