Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

This is the one topping the news right now. I really haven't seen others.

Reactions: RoarinRow

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would say you have a clean canvas. Anything that get you out is a great. You might have to to get something made instead of off the shelf. what you really need is some camping gear a willingness to use it. Go and Get out you'll figure out what will make your trips better. The reason I love something is the reason you hate it. I am not a RTT guy, I don't carry a hi-lift eather. Go make it yours!

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Run what you got.

I'd get rid the P rated street tires and get something stronger for off road use. There are lift kits available for the Ridgeline. A bed rack for a RTT .

Perhaps airbags in the rear for the extra weight of a RTT and camping stuff.

Should be a fun project . Good luck

Reactions: 64Trvlr

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I have a Honda ridgeline as my daily its a swiss army knife has everything does nothing well. With that said its fine for overlanding, good space, reliability, fuel milage. It also has a bunch of shortcomings but nothing that would stop you from exploring within the limits of the truck and the drivers skills to keep you and your equipment safe. The vehicle is not the overlander that's the driver doesn't really matter what you drive just that you are out there exploring, enjoying.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

One of the best, most reliable vehicles out there. Keep it stock. Stay on the trail. Weigh it and don't overload it.

I'd recommend picking routes it is capable of running over modifying it to run more rugged trails. Almost every where can be accessed by a "easier" route. Stick to the vehicles capabilities or.... buy a more capable vehicle.

Overloading is our biggest mistake. Be picky about what you load. If you cannot back pack it do you really need it?

Some vehicles, Wranglers, 3/4 ton pickups have a lot of extra steel in places that lifts and bigger tires add stress. But the Ridgeline is one of those finely engineered vehicles designed to be incredibly reliable stock.... but easily stressed if modified. A good guideline is do not make a change unless it also reduces weight.... or at least shop for light weight rather than for price. There are many almost identical products where one will be half the weight of the other.

The attachment in post #2 is a great build.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

In 1992 we bought a Honda Accord Wagon. It was the family of 4 adventure wagon. It explored all over BC even with such a vulnerable under carriage and FWD it took us to many remote locations including the south end of Tatlayoko Lake. Today if we had 2 kids, I'm sure a Ridgeline would be a top choice. An incredibly comfortable, economical, safe, capable, reliable adventure pickup.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
The Honda Ridgeline has a very effective AWD system and while it is not a traditional body on frame truck, you should be able to get to many different places in it.

The most effective modification you can make to your Honda (this goes for almost any vehicle in my opinion) is a really good set of tires that can handle what you plan to throw at it. If I owned thst vehicle, I think an ideal set of tires would be the Yokohama Geolanders. I have run these tires on multiple Subie's that I have owned through the years and they are very economical and very effective. If you can find some Hancook Dynapros that fit your wheels, those would be awesome too.

Take a look at the Ridgeline's payload, it might be its main drawback and you will have to make concessions on how you plan to build it out. Maybe focus on using aluminum parts to reduce weight.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
There is a mild lift kit for it too. I was looking at one before I bought the jeep. It's an awesome driving rig. I would put the lift on, some more aggressive AT tires in a slightly larger size, either a truck cap or something on the rear to protect your gear from the weather and burn gas.....LOTS OF IT! Nice rig!

Beaullieu

Rank 0

Contributor I

Georgia, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Beaullieu
I have a 2007 Ridgeline that I bought new and have used for many soft road adventures over the years and it has been a great truck for this use. When I put new tires on it recently, I changed from the All Season Michelins to Nitto Trail Grappler G2's for a bit more grip - Wow, did that make a difference in a good way. This past weekend, I was camping in the North Georgia mountains and drove a loop called the "Wildcat Ridge Loop" that is rated "EASY" but with some parts requiring 4 wheel drive. I had to turn around when I tried to go up the Hawk Mountain side trail as I started to encounter some sizeable rocks that would require really good tire placement and I was uncomfortable since I don't currently have skid plates. On another section (FS 333), it turned muddy with quite a few deep ruts requiring running a careful line to keep from bottoming out and after about 2 miles in, going back was not a good option. Anyway, I made it without any issues and the Ridgeline never missed a beat but was probably a little beyond what I should have been doing in this vehicle. Not having a low range stresses the transmission going slowly up steep sections and the ground clearance makes bottoming out a risk. And, not currently having skid plates puts the tender parts of the undercarriage at risk.

Since this is what I have, it's what I'll keep using but will carefully pick the trails so that I don't get in over my head. As long as you are aware of the Ridgeline's capabilities and limitations, you can go to many places that you cant go in many other vehicles. It is a really good truck with a good all wheel drive system - it's just not a Jeep or a 4 Runner and can't be made to compete with them....

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Good points. Knowing what you are driving goes a long way. That being said, add some skid plates, the lift, some larger tires and some recovery gear like maxxtrax and even a hitch mounted winch setup and you can go many many places without fear.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Saw a new Ridgeline in Moab last weekend. Bed rack, RTT, lifted, KO2's, KC's on front and ditch lights. I am not fan of the aesthetics of the design nor the lack of interior seat width, but the one I saw there was headed in a pretty good direction.

ramblingdoc

Rank II

Contributor III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Ernesto
Last Name
Fuentes
Member #

Hello, fellow Ridgeline owners.
I just started to introduce some mods to my stock Rid, found some useful tips on the Ridgeline owners club; first upgrade will be swaping the tires for the Falken Wildpeak AT3W or the BFG KO2s for better off-road performance, slightly larger, not ready for a lift yet, although the Traxda leveling kit sounds appealing. I'm in the process of installing recently acquired No-Lo designs skid plates, specifically designed for this vehicle, and currently researching for a bed rack suitable for a RTT to replace my tent set up, I really like the newer clamshell/hard top tents. But next important step will be to get a front bumper/bull guard with a winch and recovery points, with my truck really doesn't have in the front right now. Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Happy trails!!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
for the RL, The only bumper would be custom fabricated. It should have tow hooks or points on the front already. But as far as winching, I don't think anything is available. There is a front hitch mount available and has 9000 lb line pull. This would give you winching abilities with a cradle mount winch. However, it does mess up your approach angles. How important is front mount winching to you? is it to pull you over obstacles you may encounter or pull you out of situations? if it's the latter, get a cradle mount, put it in the back and just winch backwards. Honestly, I would do the lift, skids and tires and forget about winch/bumpers for the front.

ramblingdoc

Rank II

Contributor III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Ernesto
Last Name
Fuentes
Member #

Thank you, Steve, that's very sound advice. To answer your question, it's probably my fear and lack of experience that tells me to get a winch/bumper for recovery, but in all honesty, I'm not planning to go rock crawling nor attempt to navigate any "severe" trail any time soon with my RL, I'm well aware of its limitations. I appreciate your suggestion, will stick to my planned easy mods for now, stay in the easy side of overalnding.

Btw, great blog about your adventures with Colin, I'll be following you.