Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
A friend has one and it is bulky and getting the temp correct can be tricky. But you just cannot go back after warm cornbread is served with dinner, or warm cookies for dessert. One thing we appreciate is that it serves as a warmer for those bigger breakfasts allowing you to cook in stages and serve everything at once nice and warm.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I need details on the how to cook cinnamon rolls with a torch
Not with a torch, but Dutch oven and a riser over a stove. You can only get like 4 -5 in there at at a time and need a big one but a dutch oven is literally an oven as long as you don't let things touch the bottom. I guess most of the time people talk about baking on trail, it's typically stuff like toasting bread and not actually baking goods. It's easy enough to sub in a pan and torch in those situations and for when it's not, a dutch oven is probably comparable weight, can be used to store things, and is multi-purpose in case you want to serve up some chili or something.

If I were on trail for months on end I can definitely see an actual stove but for a week trip, it's just too much easier to buy pre-baked goods and just warm them up.

Reactions: Ubiety

Selectivelynoncompliant

Rank III

Enthusiast III

KS, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harrod
Member #

Probably one of the best purchases I've ever made for my Overlanding arsenal... A propane-powered camp oven! It has made things so much easier because it's got an oven (no need to bring a dutch oven especially with the current fire bans in Colorado) and dual burners on the top so it is a functional camp stove too! I always just run it off of a small 1lb propane canister and I've never run out of propane utilizing one of the small canisters for a full weekend excursion. Does anyone else have one of these or have a product like this that just changed the game for you in the kitchen department? Ever since I got it ill always make a run to Walmart and grab a loaf of garlic bread or some premade cookie dough things and just make them to compliment my dinner... I hope that this interested some of you and if you have any questions about it, let me know!View attachment 175156View attachment 175157View attachment 175158
I will need to lo into one of these, my Dutch oven skills need a little work

Last edited:
Reactions: the_rockies

the_rockies

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Monument, CO, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Crocker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0FEA
A friend has one and it is bulky and getting the temp correct can be tricky. But you just cannot go back after warm cornbread is served with dinner, or warm cookies for dessert. One thing we appreciate is that it serves as a warmer for those bigger breakfasts allowing you to cook in stages and serve everything at once nice and warm.
getting the temp right can be tricky but when you're making smaller items that temp. doesn't matter as much it can't be beat. My biggest problem is living at 7,000'+ in elevation makes baking difficult to begin with so I use it for easy things like premade cookies, bread, or the occasional frozen lazagna.

the_rockies

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Monument, CO, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Crocker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0FEA
I will need to lo into one of these, my Dutch oven skills need a little work
Dutch ovens can be hard to master, I'm always impressed with the guys in my Boy Scout troop that can nail food in them! I live in Colorado though and do most of my trips into areas under red flag warnings (pretty rare to find a forest in Colorado that isn't under a fire ban) so having something propane-powered instead of charcoal/fire-powered is much more convenient in the long run here.

the_rockies

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Monument, CO, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Crocker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0FEA
I once thought about taking that unit and "hollowing" it out.... removing the oven portion and using that section to store pots/pans etc... a small chuckbox.
could be interesting but hard to justify that for the price

the_rockies

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Monument, CO, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Crocker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0FEA
That’s interesting to hear. How compact is the Camp Chef? Doesn’t it fold up? I’m pretty strapped for space. I have been making things like cinnamon rolls using the steam cooking method on a camp stove. It has worked good enough that I haven’t really considered a dedicated camp stove. However, if I could add a little more capability without sacrificing too much space, I’d consider it.
sadly it doesn't fold up but I just store my equipment inside of it during transport and it makes up for the lost space

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Probably one of the best purchases I've ever made for my Overlanding arsenal... A propane-powered camp oven! It has made things so much easier because it's got an oven (no need to bring a dutch oven especially with the current fire bans in Colorado) and dual burners on the top so it is a functional camp stove too! I always just run it off of a small 1lb propane canister and I've never run out of propane utilizing one of the small canisters for a full weekend excursion. Does anyone else have one of these or have a product like this that just changed the game for you in the kitchen department? Ever since I got it ill always make a run to Walmart and grab a loaf of garlic bread or some premade cookie dough things and just make them to compliment my dinner... I hope that this interested some of you and if you have any questions about it, let me know!View attachment 175156View attachment 175157View attachment 175158
I am looking at the Martin version of this. I have the martin camp stove now, and an oven would be ideal!

Martin Camp pro.

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Went to both Cabella's and Bass Pro here as well as checked on line, the did not have folding oven, Only the Big bulky ones. I need to conserve space in Jeep but want to be able to bake bread, pizza, brownies, cinnamon rolls with correct texture. Cannot find online anywhere either. May have to call Coleman to ask about it. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I just noticed there are (3) different versions of the Camp Chef. The BTU output is different between the models. Not sure what else:

OUTDOOR OVEN:
  • Oven Heat Output: 3,000 BTUs/Hr.
  • Internal Oven Dimensions: 11 in. L x 16 in. W x 9 in. H
  • Maximum Oven Heat: 400° F
  • Burner Output: two 7,500 BTU
  • Burner Area Dimensions: 17 in. x 9.5 in.
  • Total Output: 18,000 BTUs/Hr.

DELUXE OUTDOOR OVEN:
  • Oven Heat Output: 3,000 BTUs/Hr.
  • Burner Output: two 9,000 BTUs/Hr.
  • Top Burner Dimensions: 17 in. x 9.5 in.
  • Total Output: 21,000 BTUs/Hr.
PROFESSIONAL OUTDOOR OVEN:
  • Oven Heat Output: 5,000 BTUs/Hr.
  • Burner Output: two 9,000 BTUs/Hr.
  • Total Output: 23,000 BTUs/Hr.