Overlanding is not Elitist!

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Just dealt with a customer who literally laughed in my face when we got on the subject of Jeeps and I stated I had a Grand Cherokee WJ. He said "That is not a Jeep, that is a wannabee" I about kicked him out of my office with my size 14 boot up his ass. So, from some research I guess there are quite a lot of "Jeep Snobs" out there. This annoys me. My WJ is just as capable as your mall-crawling chromed-out Wrangler.

Ok rant over....

Anyone else ever dealt with, we will generalize it as "Rig Snobs"? You know, the people who think what they own is the best?

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

This forum really has a good vibe around this. We need to keep that going. Everyone enjoys seeing what everyone is doing on ANY platform. I loved seeing that montero (sp?) mitsu the other day.. looked like a great overland rig.

I have the same issue in a sense. Mostly Jeeps around Dubuque Iowa, only a handful of Rovers. A few Jeep clubs around here are exclusive jeep.. I can't join in with my Rover at all. I'm also not able to do what most of the clubs around here do. It is mostly dedicated trail rigs that are beat to hell. I love to take my rig off road, and travel, but mostly around here it is just hardcore wheeling in thick wooded areas. No way I am taking my 13' land rover into that.. it would get trashed in an hour.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

This forum really has a good vibe around this. We need to keep that going. Everyone enjoys seeing what everyone is doing on ANY platform. I loved seeing that montero (sp?) mitsu the other day.. looked like a great overland rig.

I have the same issue in a sense. Mostly Jeeps around Dubuque Iowa, only a handful of Rovers. A few Jeep clubs around here are exclusive jeep.. I can't join in with my Rover at all. I'm also not able to do what most of the clubs around here do. It is mostly dedicated trail rigs that are beat to hell. I love to take my rig off road, and travel, but mostly around here it is just hardcore wheeling in thick wooded areas. No way I am taking my 13' land rover into that.. it would get trashed in an hour.

Yeah same here, a lot of beat to hell Cherokees and Wranglers. This "brand loyalty" we'll call it is just plain stupid. And making fun of other peoples rigs, I just hate when people do that. I was guilty of it myself, then I got to thinking, beyond being rude is this really a proper way to represent what "Overlanders" are about? No it is not, and at that moment I made a choice to NEVER again pick on another persons rig. Make the best with what ya got and get out there and explore. You only live once and God gave us this beautiful place to go see.

Reactions: benmmc

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
Just
Everyone
Else's
Parts

I find it funny how so many heep:fearscream: snobs remove all the heep:relaxed: parts and swap in another brand and then still think that Jeep is the only real rig.

Reactions: Jacob_S

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I make fun of people who buy a built out rig (or any other custom vehicle or motorcycle) and strut around like a peacock, looking down on the homemade and hand built crowd. I have more respect for the guy with a beater who made it his own through imagination and getting his hands dirty. Not that the first guy can't be awesome, it is all about attitude.

That's why I can't stand events like Cars and Coffee, I don't care that you work a quarter million a year job and can buy a high end car or truck. When is the last time you went on an adventure with your family or your friends? The videos of those guys putting their cars into the bushes after showing their ass and complete lack of skill are awesome.

The Jeep or nothing crowd cracks me up for some of the reasons listed in other posts. Crate 350 (or LT series), atlas transfer case, Dana 60 axles cut to width...the only thing left of the Jeep is the steeringwheel (sometimes). Other crowds that are amusing are the Roll Coal bro's (someone is selling a bro starter kit, it comes with a beat up Dodge 2500, no muffler, tinted lights, LED lightbar and white framed oakleys).

Truth be told every group has a set of "that guy" people. Most of them are laughable, some are just sad.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Less respect than a Patriot owner... Drive a KL or a BU around in the dirt. :frowning:

My only "criteria" for it being a "real" Jeep is if it's been scratched :tearsofjoy:

The only people I pick on are friends, and I get it just as good as I give it.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Less respect than a Patriot owner... Drive a KL or a BU around in the dirt. :frowning:

My only "criteria" for it being a "real" Jeep is if it's been scratched :tearsofjoy:

The only people I pick on are friends, and I get it just as good as I give it.
Yeah you are right, the BU is picked on more for sure.

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I don't care if it's built or bought so long as it's used how they want to use it. It's not my money, my choice or my business. I have no opinions on what anyone drives for Overlanding or off roading. If they want to do it with a beater or with a Gold mine, it's their business.

I have no rants or animosity.

To hate is like drinking salt water. The thirst grows worst. -Caine

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I limit my brand banter with close friends who know I'm only kidding. Every vehicle has its advantages and disadvantages, a true overlander is one who understands their rig's capability and works within those constraints. Doesn't matter if it's a two-wheel drive pickup or a decked out Jeep that can climb a tree. This site has been an absolute breath of fresh air when it comes to brand acceptance, let's keep it up. There's enough negativity in this world as it is.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I limit my brand banter with close friends who know I'm only kidding. Every vehicle has its advantages and disadvantages, a true overlander is one who understands their rig's capability and works within those constraints. Doesn't matter if it's a two-wheel drive pickup or a decked out Jeep that can climb a tree. This site has been an absolute breath of fresh air when it comes to brand acceptance, let's keep it up. There's enough negativity in this world as it is.
The smart-ass jokes in my previous post were about this idea. Attitude is everything. Inagree this place has the right one, there are some other off road camping enthusiast type sites that are the polar opposite. Some of that comes from the large size of their user base, but most of it is set by how everything is presented and run by the community owners (which include more than just the site owner and moderators).

Like I said, every sub-culture has their own group of "that guy" people, I bet if you read this then your mind flashed through each of the "that guy" groups you've seen in each of your hobbies, passions, work and life. Overlanding has their own, some of them seem to be defined with certain types of rigs, some of it seems to be about "other" gear based. Having the cool kid bumper, fridge, drawer system, trailer, tent, etc. All of that turned me off from those other communities and I landed here, which is nice.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army

I belong to a couple Jeep clubs here in the Eastern side of Iowa. I have a Wrangler, but my DD is a Grand Cherokee. I love them both. And your right about the clubs around here. Everyone wants to go rock crawling. My build is modest, 3" lift and 33's. Eventually going to 35's. Anyway, I'm an overlander. I have no desire to crawl on rocks all day long. I want to see the sights and explore. Even in the Jeep clubs there is snobbery if you don't have 6" lift and 41" tires. And all the latest and greatest gizmos. And sadly, if you're not willing to take some trail damage, then it's best not going on some of the trips. Which is fine for those who want to do that.

Anyway, to the point of the OP. Yes, I've seen it too. I've had FJ guys tell me how they would run circles around my Wrangler, or Land Rover guys act all snooty and above everyone else on the trail. Drive what you drive. Do what makes you happy, and laugh it off. I learned studying martial arts for several years to just smile and go about my business. I could care less what others think of my rig. It makes me happy and that's all that matters to me. And like I said, I DD a Grand Cherokee and it's a very capable vehicle. Not quite as capable off-road, but none the less very capable.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I belong to a couple Jeep clubs here in the Eastern side of Iowa. I have a Wrangler, but my DD is a Grand Cherokee. I love them both. And your right about the clubs around here. Everyone wants to go rock crawling. My build is modest, 3" lift and 33's. Eventually going to 35's. Anyway, I'm an overlander. I have no desire to crawl on rocks all day long. I want to see the sights and explore. Even in the Jeep clubs there is snobbery if you don't have 6" lift and 41" tires. And all the latest and greatest gizmos. And sadly, if you're not willing to take some trail damage, then it's best not going on some of the trips. Which is fine for those who want to do that.

Anyway, to the point of the OP. Yes, I've seen it too. I've had FJ guys tell me how they would run circles around my Wrangler, or Land Rover guys act all snooty and above everyone else on the trail. Drive what you drive. Do what makes you happy, and laugh it off. I learned studying martial arts for several years to just smile and go about my business. I could care less what others think of my rig. It makes me happy and that's all that matters to me. And like I said, I DD a Grand Cherokee and it's a very capable vehicle. Not quite as capable off-road, but none the less very capable.
I'm not that kind of rover owner. [emoji3] I really like jeeps and most boxy makes. I like having a more unique model, but you can do that with many brands and many years. I still like the common newer JK though. Modding those must be a blast... So much choice.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Amen to that. Other forums I belong to, some guy who drives a Toyota will come into the Jeep section and start a bunch of crap. I love my Jeeps but I also like seeing and hearing about what other people drive. There are a lot of nice rigs out there of all varieties. Besides, the vehicle is only as good as the driver, regardless. Anyway, I decided to join this community because I want to learn more about overlanding. I don't care what vehicle it is. I'm here be inspired by everyone who shares a passion for exploring this great planet of ours.

Reactions: ROCTANK

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I'm not that kind of rover owner. [emoji3] I really like jeeps and most boxy makes. I like having a more unique model, but you can do that with many brands and many years. I still like the common newer JK though. Modding those must be a blast... So much choice.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Truth be told, if I could afford an LR3, I'd have one in a heartbeat. Just waaay out of my price range. Jeeps are fun though. I've only had mine a couple years and I'm not much of a gearhead. But the great thing is, Jeeps are easy to learn on. Even in my 40's. It definitely is the most customizable vehicle out there. And I hope you don't think I was implying all Land Rover owners are snooty. I've just come across a couple on the trails. But I've also come across some real Jeep Jerks as well. Live and let live I guess. On a side note, glad we're getting some snow here. I'm going to drive up along the river if I don't have to work tomorrow and photograph bald eagles. That's definitely one benefit to living in Iowa.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I occasionally run into snobbery within my brand as well. There are those H1 guys that think unless it's an H1 it's just a plain old Chevy SUV that can't go anywhere. There are some H2 guys that an H3 is beneath them. I almost bought an H2 before getting my first H3 but the H3 is a much better fit for what I wanted to do with it. I even considered getting an H1 instead of the Alpha but you either have to have a bank roll to pay for maintenance or have the tools, time and knowledge to do it all yourself. Then there are guys how own any one of the models that look down on any other vehicle. I don't associate or wheel with any of these people. Like other have mentioned a number of the Jeep clubs around here are exclusive and won't let anybody else in. I am the president of a national Hummer club and from day one we have focused on being inclusive to anybody regardless of the fact we are a Hummer club.

There are "those guys" in any brand and absolutely nothing against the Jeep owners within this group but I have run into so many of them within the Jeep crowd I don't think I could ever get myself to buy a Jeep. I like them, and love how huge the aftermarket is but have just run into far too many of "those guys" in Jeep clubs or just individual Jeep guys. Again, those that have found their way here don't see to be that way at all and it would be my pleasure to wheel with any of them. Not sure about around everyone else but in my area the past several years the big thing is to by a JKU, build it up with lift, 35s or 37s, winch bumper (without winch), HiLift and so on only to maybe drive to the beach everyone once in a while. So a guy in a nicely built one several years ago. Would see him everyone morning on the way to work then on day we both stopped at a convenience store at the same time. I told him he had a nice Jeep and asked where he wheeled. He looked at me like I was crazy, told me no way he would take it off road he had such and such amount invested in it. I just shook my head, told him I had more invested in mine yet it was in the dirt and getting it's first scratches (not that I wanted them) within the first 250 miles of it's existence. I left him with I see you are one of those guys and he got a confused look on his face.

I wheel with a lot of different people and groups but from those clubs and groups we have built a core group of like minded people that we do our overland trips with. One thing I love about the group is that we have a very broad range of vehicles and we all give each other a hard time. The difference versus "those guys" is that we are know it's in good fun and not actual brand bashing. With 1 or 2 week long overland trips a year everyone gets to see the pros and cons of all the rigs.

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I do have to admit, I am very jealous of the aftermarket available to you Jeep guys.
Yup. Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. lol. In regards to your other post, I was going to take a trip to Colorado with a Jeep group but decided the wife and I will go on our own and explore. Every time I meet up with them, If you don't have a 6" lift and overly large tires, they don't have much interest. One of the reasons for giving this forum a try. Just want to learn more about overlanding and get some inspiration for planning trips, gear, etc. I think this forum is heading on the right track. Very refreshing.