Overlanding in the Sierra Nevadas

• HTML tutorial

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Did a three day overland trip through through Stanislaus and El Dorado National Forests with two other rigs. We ran 63 miles of remote forest roads in two days. I spent the last day solo. Made a video for each day in the field. Here's all three videos documenting the trip.

Day 1: Slick Rock trail camping

Day 2: Slick Rock to Middle Fork Consumnes River

Day 3: Solo Adventure
@MEU(SOC)
Thanks for taking the time to make these and share! Media is a big way with the generations in this day and age to inspire others to get out there and do explore for themselves.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

@MEU(SOC)
Thanks for taking the time to make these and share! Media is a big way with the generations in this day and age to inspire others to get out there and do explore for themselves.
Thanks. I’m old school, so doing videos isn’t in my wheel house but I do it anyway. Hopefully people can get something out of it. I have fun with it and try not too take it seriously. The journey is the main thing. The video helps me remember the experience down the road.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

I'm sure it feels odd to hear your own voice, but as the viewer, the narration draws us in and helps us feel involved!
Thanks for the feedback. I think the narration makes it more personal. It helps to tell the story, which is what a video should do in my opinion. There should be a story that takes the viewer along for the ride. I’ve started to be a story teller in the last few months since my Death Valley series in April. Seems to be well received thus far.

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

@MEU(SOC)
Thank you for your videos. I subscribed to your channel. Gear question for you, do you have ability to charge your 80V Kobalt tool batteries on-board the Jeep, if not, did you use more than 1 battery on this 3 day trip? That looks like a great chainsaw option for the forest.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

@MEU(SOC)
Thank you for your videos. I subscribed to your channel. Gear question for you, do you have ability to charge your 80V Kobalt tool batteries on-board the Jeep, if not, did you use more than 1 battery on this 3 day trip? That looks like a great chainsaw option for the forest.
Great question. I don’t have that ability yet, because the 80v battery charger has a high amp draw, which the Jeep inverter and my portable power pack I use can’t handle. I only have the one saw battery, which lasts for about 150 cuts. So I only use the saw when needed on longer trips. I also carry a 26” Hults Bruk axe and a small hand saw. If the saw failed, I could still clear a trail but it would be slower. In the future, a second battery or a very powerful inverter would help.

Reactions: xplorr

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

Did a three day overland trip through through Stanislaus and El Dorado National Forests with two other rigs. We ran 63 miles of remote forest roads in two days. I spent the last day solo. Made a video for each day in the field. Here's all three videos documenting the trip.

Day 1: Slick Rock trail camping

Day 2: Slick Rock to Middle Fork Consumnes River

Day 3: Solo Adventure
Great videos!
You def found a nice little spot to camp. Makes me want to load up the jeep and head out!