Overlanding for cheaper than your cousin's brother in law builds

• HTML tutorial

Jeff Lloyd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sedro-Woolley, WA, USA
Member #

recently while on the "Overlanding with "stock" 4X4" thread it gave me an idea. So I just picked up an '89 trooper for $400. It didn't run but a few minutes of putting the spark plug wires on the right spark plugs it fired right up! We are going to build this up on a "what you can do with no money" theme. It's going to stay stock and cheap. And on that I just installed the "It didn't cost me a dime" spare tire trash bag. Which is an old canvas backpack. Gonna work great!20200101_184504.jpg
What kind of cheap ideas does everyone have?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
recently while on the "Overlanding with "stock" 4X4" thread it gave me an idea. So I just picked up an '89 trooper for $400. It didn't run but a few minutes of putting the spark plug wires on the right spark plugs it fired right up! We are going to build this up on a "what you can do with no money" theme. It's going to stay stock and cheap. And on that I just installed the "It didn't cost me a dime" spare tire trash bag. Which is an old canvas backpack. Gonna work great!View attachment 134223
What kind of cheap ideas does everyone have?
This is my kind of build... I have a project boat that I have been building as close to $0.00 as I can get. I’m about $100.00 into it so far... all gas, lol

Reactions: Jeff Lloyd

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

That Firestone Radial ATX is very likely to be one of the recalled 14 million or so they produced.

Regardless of that it is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too old to even consider using.

Save the weight and throw it away or replace it with a much newer tire.

Jeff Lloyd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sedro-Woolley, WA, USA
Member #

That Firestone Radial ATX is very likely to be one of the recalled 14 million or so they produced.

Regardless of that it is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too old to even consider using.

Save the weight and throw it away or replace it with a much newer tire.
Oh Buddy don't I know it! All it's good for right now is holding up the Free Spare Tire Trash Bag so I can take pictures for the Instagram!

Reactions: Road and bgenlvtex

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

For future modding, there's LOTS of space behind the side panels in the cargo area. I had 8" subs in mine on plywood panels with auto carpet covering the wood. If I still had it I would build some storage bins. At least it makes a great out of the way install for electronics (inverter, extra power jacks, etc.) While I'm remembering, It's also super easy to install rectangular lights IN the bumpers. I cut openings with a jig saw and had plenty of space to install some Bosch fog lamps front and rear. The flush fit looked very nice and protected the lights. Have Fun!!!