Investor

Advocate III

Glendale, CA, USA
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Arteaga
Member #

Whom ever said you can't find a great view or a great campsite in the Carrizo Plain is wrong.

Our little group had been planning an outing for a couple of weeks into Frazier Mountain but it turned out ot be close for the winter the very same weekend we were planning on going out. As a fall back option, we had 1 of our group members suggest Carrizo Plain. I think we all went to our maps and looked up and saw nothing but a big flat plain where the San Andreas Fault runs through, and that is pretty much what you find about Carrizo Plains. What they don't tell you is that there are many back roads that climb into the hills that surround the plain, which make it tons of fun to wheel and opens for options to overland.

We began our trip in Maricopa where we fueled up and headed to the entrance of the trail at Elk Horn Trail, about 3 miles from the only gas station in Maricopa. Once in the trail we headed North East into the trail that leads straight up, i mean very steep hill... once we climbed the monsterous 1st hill, we were met with a view of rolling hills, the jagged mounds of errosion caused by the San Andreas Fault and the very colorful Carrizo Plain which include the dry lake bed Soda Lake. Maybe it was the storm coming in that made the landscape so dramatic and beatiful. No, it was the storm with its cumulus nimbus clouds that were making things very picturesque, as the plain is very much desert chaparral.

We pressed on for about 3 or 4 hours on a 47 mile up and down the rolling hills to the east of the plains, stopping only to take a few snaps of the view here and there, as the views were amazing. Once down the hill we crossed the plain as any Prius would... on the very nice and smooth dirt road that is stablished for the developed campgrounds in the Plain. We only laughed at the site of those camps and pressed on. once we crossed some of the plain, we veered West and headed up the west side of the hills surrounding the plain, and began to look for a real overland campsite. :D .... Fortunately our plan took us to a very well protected site away from the wind, surrounded by 10 foot bushes. It was a great campsite for all 4 of our rigs to squeeze in and share the space quite perfectly.

All day were hit with spotty rain and light wind untill we go to camp. The ground at camp was a little muddy at first from a recent shower pass, but it was a couple of hours and it began to dry. The temperature was hovering 40 for most of the nigh, but there were moments when it felt very cold. During the night, the temps got bellow 29 F... my electric blaket worked a treat and slept like a snug bug. I heard a big pack of coyotes in the distance at around 430 am; I was glad Bernie was in his bed in my truck. Around 7 am. and we climed out of our nests and found the ground and all our surroundings frozen with ice, but not a cloud in sight. The gas stoves lit up and fired up the coffee, breakfast, and a couple of us slowly put away camp. The sun quickly rose over the hills and began to melt all the ice away drying up our awnings and tents, this made packing so much better.

Once everyone was packed, we decided that we would wheel the rest of the route we had set to do, and leave for home after, because we knew there was a storm heading in. We wheeled for another 3 hrs, looking at hill tops and creeks. Plenty of mud to be had if you stay there during or after a rain. Some really off camber trails that will hit 25 degrees at points which will make you pucker. The best time to visit the plain is in spring time, since it is know to have super blooms. All in all the vistas were very colorful and vast, the couds during our visit made for mild temps and beautiful backdrop. I'm happy we made the descission to come out and enjoy this part of california.

EE5C8230-71D5-4720-A32D-4810CF097E7D.jpeg
85519D68-B61B-49EC-A5C6-0D39D6A1CA53.jpeg
B21F41AB-9517-40FD-807D-6996F63DE2F1.jpeg
C061D87E-EB5A-47C5-819D-722252F3A0A4_4_5005_c.jpeg

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI
Epic trip! Loved the report, man! Well done! Looks like a great place to overland! :)

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Rad stuff! Los Padres NF is right over the ridge, while it's hard to make loop routes with all of the gates that've been throw up, you can still get to some rad places for exploring and camping up there.

Reactions: LanderGoat

LanderGoat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Glendale, CA, USA
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Arteaga
Member #

Yup... plenty of cool places to branch off from there... Area is light traffic at best... good for some solitude, peace and quite... spring time is sure to be colorful.