Superfishal

Rank III

Advocate I

Annapolis, MD, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Alan
I don’t have a CPAP. However, if it’s the thin plastic tubing that I’m thinking, I suspect you would need to add al layer of good insulation to prevent condensation. Does the unit heat the air when it adds humidity? If so, that might help with insulation. Otherwise, you might still get condensation eventually asthe tubing will eventually get to the air temperature no matter what you do.
Great idea! I’m normally put my battery operated CPAP inside my sleeping bag. This helps immensely and I believe prolongs the battery life also…

Reactions: Tundracamper

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
There are a few. This one uses the sensor. Link

A Fleece lined option Link

I have friends that use pipe insulation as well.
Thanks!

I did mention my issue to the sleep clinic and they offered a heated tube but I feel like I am getting buried in electronic stuff already. I recently bought a Teton -35F sleeping bag, which turns out to be a bed roll. The thing is huge. I am 6" 1" and I can disappear inside it, and was wondering how much of the cpap I could get in there with me. I felt like a little kid, to be honest. However this looks like a really good option.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

New question on the CPAP. I recently ordered a clam shell RTT (AreaBFE) similar to the Roof Nest Falcon. Anyone have a similar tent, if so where do you put your CPAP at night? I wondering about removing the storage net and putting in a lightweight Molle Panel and velcro...

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
New question on the CPAP. I recently ordered a clam shell RTT (AreaBFE) similar to the Roof Nest Falcon. Anyone have a similar tent, if so where do you put your CPAP at night? I wondering about removing the storage net and putting in a lightweight Molle Panel and velcro...
I sleep alone and I have a jackery and the cpap just sitting on the mattress. I have never had an issue. I sleep way better in my roofnest than I do at home.

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I had one of those cancer causing Philips machines…… plugging it into the AC part of my Ecoflow River 600, it wouldn’t work. Once I got the DC adapter it worked.

I ended up getting a ResMed Air Mini, it’s super small and compact, bought the humidifier filters in bulk on Amazon, and I got the DC adapter. It works with the Ecoflow River 600 flawlessly, but also with the Jackery 200watt 290wh that I got at Harbor Freight with a 20% off Coupon!

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Thanks for the replies, I am worried about rolling over on the thing while I sleep...Im not too sure how much room will be in the RTT with both my wife and I.

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

Just a couple quick comments I typically don’t run my humidifier I find out that no matter what I do if I use the humidifier I end up with way too much moisture in my hose and it’ll either drip and get those water bubble squealers and I have to dump my hose out the middle of the night

Another cheap thing I do when camping is very cold is actually lay the hose underneath my sleeping bag between me and the mattress that warms the air just enough that it’s not very disruptive to my sleep cycle

And you guys wanna talk about be careful eating beans I have a great dane and he figured out that he can wake dad up by pointing the south end towards the intake, nothing like a FORCED INDUCTION Dutch oven!!!

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Just a couple quick comments I typically don’t run my humidifier I find out that no matter what I do if I use the humidifier I end up with way too much moisture in my hose and it’ll either drip and get those water bubble squealers and I have to dump my hose out the middle of the night

Another cheap thing I do when camping is very cold is actually lay the hose underneath my sleeping bag between me and the mattress that warms the air just enough that it’s not very disruptive to my sleep cycle

And you guys wanna talk about be careful eating beans I have a great dane and he figured out that he can wake dad up by pointing the south end towards the intake, nothing like a FORCED INDUCTION Dutch oven!!!
Can you say gross!!! lol

Reactions: Wanderer351

ArJayDubbaU

Rank V

Traveler III

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Reggie
Last Name
Winterburn
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I have a RESMED CPAP too. When I return home from business I have an appointment at the Dentist to find out about getting a dental appliance. These are supposed to be a decent alternative to use on a plane, and in this case, out in the boondocks. No power needed. They aren’t cheap, and insurance doesn’t cover it since they are already paying for the regular CPAP. I’m on an ADV, so weight is always a concern. CPAP and battery pack is very heavy.

Anyone have any experience with these.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

This weekend I ditched the gazelle and decided to sleep in my new to me xterra. I didn't use humidity or temp on the resmed but I was able to keep the jackery under the back seat which was folded down. I technically could have put the cpap under there too, but I didn't. The mix of being "indoors" and having some decent space was amazing. I've never slept so well before.

bed.jpg

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
This weekend I ditched the gazelle and decided to sleep in my new to me xterra. I didn't use humidity or temp on the resmed but I was able to keep the jackery under the back seat which was folded down. I technically could have put the cpap under there too, but I didn't. The mix of being "indoors" and having some decent space was amazing. I've never slept so well before.

View attachment 229031
Being in an enclosed space causes a rise in humidity, so a humidifier is rarely needed. It saves a ton of power.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Here is what I learned over the weekend, that no one mentioned.... CPAP while camping SUCKS!!! LOL. We were in 30deg weather, which meant, the CPAP was blowing 30deg air on my face while I was trying to stay warm. What I found was if I covered the CPAP and my head with a coat, or blanket, The air the CPAP took in was much warmer, and easier to tolerate.

Reactions: PSCHIL and Ron W.

ArJayDubbaU

Rank V

Traveler III

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Reggie
Last Name
Winterburn
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I have a RESMED CPAP too. When I return home from business I have an appointment at the Dentist to find out about getting a dental appliance. These are supposed to be a decent alternative to use on a plane, and in this case, out in the boondocks. No power needed. They aren’t cheap, and insurance doesn’t cover it since they are already paying for the regular CPAP. I’m on an ADV, so weight is always a concern. CPAP and battery pack is very heavy.

Anyone have any experience with these.
Follow up on the dental appliance to replace my CPAP off grid:
I got fitted, by my dentist, (it's an exact process, and an absolute must! DIY is potentially harmful to your jaw) for the appliance and have been using it several times for the last month. It works great! I sleep as well with it as I do with my ResMed. You do wake up with dry mouth, there is no humidifier tank.
The device goes into place on your top and bottom teeth then you hook up the bottom and top and set the adjustment for what suites you. The device holds your bottom jaw forward and keeps your airway open. One positive side effect is if you grind your teeth, you won't any more.
No power, no batteries, much less space, and almost 0 weight. This is a big consideration for me when I'm on the ADV, not so much in the truck. They work great on long flights too. First time I've slept on a long haul flight in almost 20 years!
The one drawback might be the price, depends on how you look at it. Mine was $1700.00. To me it's worth every penny.
Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

Reactions: SWLands and JL Lou

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'm currently building a power distribution box that I can place in my rooftop tent, that will be hooked up to the 100Ah Lifepo4 battery in the trailer.

This will eliminate the need for the wife and I to use the power station to run the cpaps, as well as giving us usb ports to charge devices.