Roberto
Last Name
Rodz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4FTS
Service Branch
ARMY
I am one who was prescribed a CPAP by the VA and while small it is electric, just wondering if anyone has experience with a battery CPAP?
Jim, many of the suggestions offered here will help you enjoy the outdoors. As a CPAP user, I highly suggest using a power source that will allow you to be overlanding for several days. I currently use a Goal Zero 1000 and charge it with 200 watt solar panels. However, it has its limitations particularly if it is raining, or cloudy days, etc. Is this setup expensive? Yes ! There are other suggestions mentioned in this post that may work just as well. Your choice! The bottomline is, there is nothing like a good night sleep regardless of where you are. Best of luck.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Jim, many of the suggestions offered here will help you enjoy the outdoors. As a CPAP user, I highly suggest using a power source that will allow you to be overlanding for several days. I currently use a Goal Zero 1000 and charge it with 200 watt solar panels. However, it has its limitations particularly if it is raining, or cloudy days, etc. Is this setup expensive? Yes ! There are other suggestions mentioned in this post that may work just as well. Your choice! The bottomline is, there is nothing like a good night sleep regardless of where you are. Best of luck.
@Airranger84 in another video I saw while doing my research, Goal Zero has a “link” that ties it to the car similar to a dual battery setup. Might be for lithium only though, I don’t remember. However I figure I would mention it. You guys can see it that works for you.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Well, my wife and I used our rockpals 500w battery for three nights over this weekend, and it worked fantastic. Powering both cpaps with the humidity and heated hoses turned off used about 25% battery per night.

I did discover that charging the power pack off of a 12v port in the truck might not be a feasible option though. I'll have to look into other options for that.

Enthusiast II

Sparta, WI, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Harazin
This is a very niche solution, but a some cordless garden tool manufacturers offer power inverters that work with the tool batteries. I just picked one up to go with my 40v Greenworks batteries. Tested with my CPAP (Resmed S9). Humidifier and hose heat off, using the regular 120v cord, one battery lasted 9.5 hours.

It's not a perfect solution, but it could save you some money if you already have the batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2 and Ubiety

Stomper_TJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Larson
Member #

My wife and I both use the ResMed 10. I run them off a Ryobi 2000w generator- both and my fridge only put a 10-15% LP on it so it runs for 17 hours on 1 gallon. I looked for batty options, but to get a battery to run all of that, and / or CPAP machines to run on battery’s was almost double what a new generator cost. Mine is ultra quiet, and we just place it under the front of the truck . I can’t barely hear it

DrivinBettyWhite

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cottage Grove, Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Army
I have a cpap battery setup from 9 years ago the VA/wwp gave it to me in El Paso. It’s just 2 12v lawn mower batteries stacked in a “Fancy Bag”. It’s heavy as shit and expensive but works.

ive used my cpap a few times in my truck having it hooked up to my second truck battery. If I had the money I’d just buy a 1k jackery to power the son bitch.

Patrick-A51

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego,California
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
w6pea
I am one who was prescribed a CPAP by the VA and while small it is electric, just wondering if anyone has experience with a battery CPAP?
@Jim SoG
I am new to this forum and I just happened to see your post about using a C-Pap machine for Sleep Apnea.
I have been on C-Pap since 2001, I use a Respironics M-Series Bi-Pap Auto . I also have a Respironics Battery Pack. In my RV I have solar and I have a 12v DC plug to plug my BiPap machine into so it will run off the 12v DC system in my RV. I have never had a problem running my Bi-Pap machine. If you need more information look here
The link will take you to their sign in page you do not need to have an account with them it will also take you to their cpap talk forum there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on their forum groups. I hope that this will help you there are several brands of C-Pap and Bi-Pap machines that will run off of 12vDC .
Good Luck .

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2

Day1

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ingleside, Tx.
First Name
GARY
Last Name
DAY
I use a deep cycle battery and an inverter for car camping. I also have a dental appliance (works okay) for backpacking trips.

DrivinBettyWhite

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cottage Grove, Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Army
I use a deep cycle battery and an inverter for car camping. I also have a dental appliance (works okay) for backpacking trips.
ive tried the mouth guard to help with sleep apnea, it pulls the lower jaw forward. Problem with it for me was it made my gums bleed. I mean it was probably from having night terrors so to each their own..

Reactions: Patrick-A51

Christopher Hersey

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Roseville, CA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Hersey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6GTB
Just to chime in, my wife uses a CPAP and since we’re camping this weekend I gave it a trial run using our Jackery 500 the other night. Went from 100% to 82% after about 8.5 hours. Should last the weekend no problem.

PSCHIL

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Racine, WI, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Schilling
Member #

I recently picked up a rockpals 500w power station. I decided to test it at home with both the heated hose and humidifier running to see what kind of draw I could get.

I slept a full 7 hours (which is actually more than I normally sleep), and still had 52‰ battery left in the morning. Power draw seemed to be between 35 and 45 watts, so I'm quite happy with that. Should be able to power mine and my wife's machines for several days with the heat and humidity turned off.
What cpap machine are you using? I have an AirSense 10 AutoSet

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Not sure which battery pack it was but I used my solar panel and 110AH to charge another Vets up (it took most of the day). I asked him how long it lasted he told me 3 days.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
What cpap machine are you using? I have an AirSense 10 AutoSet
Resmed airsense s10 I think. Make sure yours can run on 12v. Some of the newer machines require 24v, which requires a special battery.

rondouthit

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Douthit
Member #

Goal Zero Yeti 1400

For the CPAP guys, they touch on it briefly in the 9th minute of the video. Possible option for you guys to explore.
Looks like it can cover an evening of sleep for us people with sleep apnea. I bet it would even do better than projected cause the fan is only maxed out during inhales or when it’s off you face like she had. Most the time the fan is working at less than max

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

I know Resmed.com makes a unit that is battery operated and a perfect size for travel. In fact, I think they make two of them(one is called the AirMini). But the other one has a bigger battery pack and is a little larger (maybe a 8" - 10" square in size). But there is a Crowdfunding campaign going on for a hoseless, maskless and cordless CPAP device that is battery operated and just plugs into your nose. Not released yet, but an interesting concept. Check it out here:

Best of success!

• Wow

Enthusiast II

Sparta, WI, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Harazin
Just to chime in, my wife uses a CPAP and since we’re camping this weekend I gave it a trial run using our Jackery 500 the other night. Went from 100% to 82% after about 8.5 hours. Should last the weekend no problem.
Oh nice. Was that using 12v or 110 ac?

I'm eyeing the Jackery 500 myself. My Resmed S9 crapped out, so the VA sent me the Airsense S10. It's nice, but doesn't work with modified sinewave AC. That puts my Greenworks inverter out of the running, and I'm back at square 1.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Oh nice. Was that using 12v or 110 ac?

I'm eyeing the Jackery 500 myself. My Resmed S9 crapped out, so the VA sent me the Airsense S10. It's nice, but doesn't work with modified sinewave AC. That puts my Greenworks inverter out of the running, and I'm back at square 1.
Both my wife and my machines are the s10s. They run great off 12v with the dc power supplies. I tested mine with the heated tube an humidifier running at home off my rockpals, and after 7 hours or so, I still had 52% battery left.

I can get 3 nights running both machines with the heated tube and humidifier turned off, with no issues.