Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

No. However, I have a friend with a CPAP and he is investigating a small Jackery battery system for camping with his CPAP. Of course, there are all sorts of warnings not to do that, but I think there are several reviews on Amazon touting success.

Reactions: Caffienated

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
No. However, I have a friend with a CPAP and he is investigating a small Jackery battery system for camping with his CPAP. Of course, there are all sorts of warnings not to do that, but I think there are several reviews on Amazon touting success.
I have a couple battery packs and use them but was curious if anyone made an actual battery operated CPAP......

Even if expensive I figure those I camp with will help pay for it otherwise they can be kept awake by my snooring and chocking all night! LOL

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
I just started on a CPAP on Monday. I have a Resmed Airsense 10. I plan on using my LionEnergy lithium pack with it. I've got a separate solar panel that hooks into it so it can charge all day or whatever. We'll see if it works all night.
Remember that with most, if not all, of the Resmed machines, you need a DC to DC converter if you're going to run off a battery. They run about $90. Insurance usually won't cover it or the battery. This is the one I use for my Aircurve 10:
1588375929547.png
37297 ResMed 10-Series DC adapter for AirSense 10 CPAP machines and AirCurve 10 VPAP Machines

I have a 22 AH battery that will last 2, maybe 3 nights if all the superfluous functions (humidifier, heated hoses, wifi) are turned off. The Airsense probably uses less power than the Aircurve. The battery weighs about 4.5 Lb. If we're in the Sprinter, I just plug the converter into a DC plug and don't use the standalone battery.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

First I don’t know anything about these units, but I have a thought. Could you or would it be beneficial to run a second battery like a 100 AH lithium battery with some kind of battery management system tied into a solar panel? With many a converter attached to it?I understand the cost aspect of it, but am thinking it would allow you to have extended overland time for longer trips.

If I am completely wrong and I am speaking out of place, just say so ...

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

First I don’t know anything about these units, but I have a thought. Could you or would it be beneficial to run a second battery like a 100 AH lithium battery with some kind of battery management system tied into a solar panel? With many a converter attached to it?I understand the cost aspect of it, but am thinking it would allow you to have extended overland time for longer trips.

If I am completely wrong and I am speaking out of place, just say so ...
I couldn't answer that. But the way I see it..its a CPAP. Worst case scenario, I'll sleep. Just everyone within a mile will hear me sleeping. :)

CTDRC

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Metzger
My dad uses a Nackery for his CPAP. I can get models of both, if you're interested. He gets a 100% battery down to 40%, then his 100W solar gets it back to 100% before noon on most days. He's never needed help, but he can tie into my system for a charge if needed. Works great.

Reactions: Caffienated

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

For many years I've been using a DreamStation CPAP for at home and while camping. It's 12v, with a converter cord for at home, and a direct 12v plug-in cord for camping. We run a DC-DC dual battery system in our vehicle with a 100 AH battery and a solar supplement. It easily powers our 75qt freezer and my CPAP while at camp. I do remove the humidifier and turn off the heated hose to save on the draw.

Whatever means of power you decide on, you'll be thankful for a good night sleep!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I recently picked up a rockpals 500w power station. I decided to test it at home with both the heated hose and humidifier running to see what kind of draw I could get.

I slept a full 7 hours (which is actually more than I normally sleep), and still had 52‰ battery left in the morning. Power draw seemed to be between 35 and 45 watts, so I'm quite happy with that. Should be able to power mine and my wife's machines for several days with the heat and humidity turned off.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
One of my crew brings a CPAP, not sure what brand, etc. His runs off of a car battery and we make sure to top his battery off every 2 to 3 days with solar or generator. He has had it for maybe 5 years and it has always been drama free. We all just pitched in and got a defibrillator for the group; sucks getting old ;)

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I have been on a CPAP for a few years now. I go on long trips on my motorcycle every year with my buddy. I got an extra motorcycle battery and wired it into the bike and powered the CPAP off of that. Worked just fine.
Now with the Suburban I have a dual battery system in it and power it off of that. I have the Dream Station and it is 12V, so I just use an adapter sold for them.

Enthusiast II

Sparta, WI, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Harazin
I am one who was prescribed a CPAP by the VA and while small it is electric, just wondering if anyone has experience with a battery CPAP?
Not sure what the VA is handing out these days, but the one I got from them is a Resmed S9. Silver and black with a rounded front. Amazon has a 12v adapter for it for $29 (Chinese knockoff brand but it's well-rated). Should work with a 12v battery or any of the portables from jackery or whatever. OEM battery packs are a terrible value.

Using the humidifier is pretty much out of the question. Same with the heated hose. Either one will double the power usage (or more). You can pick up a Heat Moisture Exchanger (also on Amazon) for about $4 each, these capture exhaled humidity and release it when you inhale again. They only last 2-3 days before there's a risk of mildew, so you'll need more for a longer outing. Also, you can add water to the humidifier chamber but keep the humidifier set to zero; this will help a tiny bit without using additional power.

jmsuitter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Paso TX
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Suitter
Member #

Highly interested in this subject as both my parents would like to camp more and both utilize CPAP machines. Mostly intered in a battery solar generator they could both use. Either a battery for each or one that could handle both machines.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
I am one who was prescribed a CPAP by the VA and while small it is electric, just wondering if anyone has experience with a battery CPAP?
My wife has used a CPAP for several years and it has a port on the back for a 12v adapter. We bought the appropriate adapter for her model and took a spare battery and it worked great. I don't know which kind you have but check your manual or the unit itself and see if it has that 12v port. If it does jump online and look for it by your model number. Hope you find one.

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

I've been camping with a CPAP for a few years. It's most efficient to run off of DC, but beware that sometimes it will be assuming lead-acid voltages, not Lithium, which means the CPAP will stop operating much sooner than you expect. (You can usually get a regulated cable to solve this problem). If you are running off an A/C inverter be aware that you probably need a pure sine wave inverter - easy to find once you are aware of what you need. Using an active (heated) humidifier will kill your battery runtime. Try your setup at home to make sure you get the runtime you expect.

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
All of the reviews I have read about the small travel units that are self contained battery operated are short life and very loud verses your Res10. I also have a 10 at home and use the older obsolete S8 on 110v. Yes, I know it is more effeient on 12V, as the power block converts it anyway, but the cord is obsolete and the aftermarket one is $90. I have built our system around 110 and slowly adding sustainable 12V as we go. A Goal Zero 400 (non lithium) has been part of our system for about a year. I can charge it while driving from an inverter or our generator while not moving.
The battery travelers are not cheap and the batteries are terribly expensive and at best bring two night according to specs and reviews.
Sleep is very important! You have options for traveling with your CPAP.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
I made an adapter for my CPAP to hook to a jumper box, (originally I hooked directly to a car battery that I lugged around everywhere,) now I modified my harness to plug into a power port on a jumper box. Originally it cost me less than 12 dollars. With the last modification, I am all the way up to about 15 dollars.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
As a ps, look at the transformer box on the power supply wire. Check to see what the output voltage is. All of my CPAPs have been 12V until my current ResMed which is 24V. I just use an older 12V model CPAP for camping.

Edit for clarity

Last edited: