RAPTOgator

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Wilson
Sorry I’m coming on board a little late. I have run 2 first gen Explorers in the past. My first suggestion was going to be lockers and possibly gears (depending on size of tire after lift you are thinking down the road). For a locker since you are 2wd, a selectable locker like OX can’t be beat. It is very durable, cable operates and fails to open differential. I always wanted to try an Eaton E-Locker, but after reviews and reading stories about poor customer service I have since turned my back on that option. Then the most expensive, but best option, would be ARB air lockers. Since you only need one locker this makes an excellent choice since you are also wondering about air compressors. Getting the full ARB locker kit would give you a 100% duty cycle compressor @100 psi with 150 psi max rating (120 psi is dot safety max rating on an air system btw). Then you would only need to buy a 2.5 gallon tank and an air hose for a complete air system to air up your tires. Also going with this set up, you could also get air powered tools to work on your rig both at home and on the trail.
Stay away from commercial 110 volt air compressors and an inverter, the inverter wont supply enough power to even turn on the compressor unless you spend some serious bills. For more compressor reading check out this out:
Ok cool on that thread a guy uses a viair 87p portable compressor said he had it for years with zero complaints and it only costs 50 bucks will that be alright?
and yeah the ox selectable looks beast I’m definitely gonna be looking to get one of those soon!
Sorry I’m coming on board a little late. I have run 2 first gen Explorers in the past. My first suggestion was going to be lockers and possibly gears (depending on size of tire after lift you are thinking down the road). For a locker since you are 2wd, a selectable locker like OX can’t be beat. It is very durable, cable operates and fails to open differential. I always wanted to try an Eaton E-Locker, but after reviews and reading stories about poor customer service I have since turned my back on that option. Then the most expensive, but best option, would be ARB air lockers. Since you only need one locker this makes an excellent choice since you are also wondering about air compressors. Getting the full ARB locker kit would give you a 100% duty cycle compressor @100 psi with 150 psi max rating (120 psi is dot safety max rating on an air system btw). Then you would only need to buy a 2.5 gallon tank and an air hose for a complete air system to air up your tires. Also going with this set up, you could also get air powered tools to work on your rig both at home and on the trail.
Stay away from commercial 110 volt air compressors and an inverter, the inverter wont supply enough power to even turn on the compressor unless you spend some serious bills. For more compressor reading check out this out:
no problem for coming on late! The more responses the better! Thank you for all that info. Yeah down the road I will probably get a locker. But for now I’m just gonna get some recovery equipment and just get on a trail somewhere.
In that thread there’s a guy using the viair 87p he said he’s used it for years with zero complaints. And it’s only 50 bucks on Amazon. I guess I’ll pick up one of those for now. Seems legit I don’t really care how long it takes as long as it isn’t like a half hour per tire haha.
I only need to air down the drive tires right? No reason to air down the fronts I would think.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ok cool on that thread a guy uses a viair 87p portable compressor said he had it for years with zero complaints and it only costs 50 bucks will that be alright?
and yeah the ox selectable looks beast I’m definitely gonna be looking to get one of those soon!

no problem for coming on late! The more responses the better! Thank you for all that info. Yeah down the road I will probably get a locker. But for now I’m just gonna get some recovery equipment and just get on a trail somewhere.
In that thread there’s a guy using the viair 87p he said he’s used it for years with zero complaints. And it’s only 50 bucks on Amazon. I guess I’ll pick up one of those for now. Seems legit I don’t really care how long it takes as long as it isn’t like a half hour per tire haha.
I only need to air down the drive tires right? No reason to air down the fronts I would think.
I would still air down all 4, not only does it help with traction, but also helps with absorbing road shock. As for the compressor, the Viair kit is what I’m looking into myself... but I’m starting off big and going to go with a full blown kit because I already have air tools sitting in my storage unit rusting away because I have no where to put a shop air compressor.

RAPTOgator

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Wilson
I would still air down all 4, not only does it help with traction, but also helps with absorbing road shock. As for the compressor, the Viair kit is what I’m looking into myself... but I’m starting off big and going to go with a full blown kit because I already have air tools sitting in my storage unit rusting away because I have no where to put a shop air compressor.
Whoops didn’t realize I did that weird double post! Sorry. The first one got erased at first so I started over then I posted and both of them were there haha.
but yeah ok that makes sense. I will definitely air down all 4 then. I think I’ll just order the viair for now

RAPTOgator

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Wilson
Run it as is, and stick to routes that it can do. 99% of overlanding is so mild that pos Sprinter motorhomes can do it. Don't waste money on lockers for a rig that eats joints off road. Trade it in for a 4wd something instead of going that route.

Pick up some Truckclaws instead, for when you get stuck. I keep two sets in my work truck.

View attachment 131839

In my 6900# F250, engaging the rear locker in 2wd only makes things worse. It's priceless in 4wd, but nearly useless in 2wd.
Great advice man thank you!! Those things are awesome! I’m for sure gonna order a set of those!! I’ve never seen those before

BigJim

Rank 0

Contributor I

Aberdeen Washington
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stringer
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6FHO
On your question about an air compressor, I learned pretty quick that most cheap compressors fail in short order. Yes I've heard stories about $40 air compressors airing up 35' tires all the way from 14psi in a matter of minutes, I think those stories are right up there with Bigfoot sightings. Possible? Maybe, but after 4 decades of off roading and with friends and groups I've yet to see one that worked that fast and that well. You'll want a quality compressor that works of the rigs 12volt battery. As mentioned trying to use a shop compressor with an inverter just won't cut it for long, if you can even get the motor to start. Personally after trying out lots of cheap units I now have a Viair with 2, 2.5 gallon tanks. One tank makes it much faster but whatever your budget will allow! Several companies make portable compressors that have battery clamps and are ready to go right out of the bag. Makes airing back up in those hot sunny days down there much faster so you can get back on the road with the A/C blowing on high!! lol

I'm running a Detroit "soft locker" that I think was made by Eaton but If I understand correctly they were bought out by Detriot. Could be wrong but if money is tight (always!) just put one of those in and don't look back!! Works great for SoCal trails! I haven't been able to find decent trails here in my new area to check it out in mud but most of the locals run lockers so I suppose they would know.

I gave away my BackCountry Adventures book when I moved up here so its hard to recommend trails for you without being able to show you on a map. I remember a nice starter trail that went from the city of Duarte (maybe Devore?) over the hills to Silverwood lake. Great ride with very nice views. Lots of pull outs to stop and eat lunch. Although if you have a nice breakfast wait until the end when you can eat lunch at the campground and have bathrooms for the family. Stick to the main trail, there are little off shoots for the 4x4 crowd but the mail trail should be passable in 2x4. I wouldn't recommend it during or after a recent rain as part of the trails are shelf roads that might be a bit scary to the family. If you can get your hands on that book I think its in there.

RAPTOgator

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Wilson
On your question about an air compressor, I learned pretty quick that most cheap compressors fail in short order. Yes I've heard stories about $40 air compressors airing up 35' tires all the way from 14psi in a matter of minutes, I think those stories are right up there with Bigfoot sightings. Possible? Maybe, but after 4 decades of off roading and with friends and groups I've yet to see one that worked that fast and that well. You'll want a quality compressor that works of the rigs 12volt battery. As mentioned trying to use a shop compressor with an inverter just won't cut it for long, if you can even get the motor to start. Personally after trying out lots of cheap units I now have a Viair with 2, 2.5 gallon tanks. One tank makes it much faster but whatever your budget will allow! Several companies make portable compressors that have battery clamps and are ready to go right out of the bag. Makes airing back up in those hot sunny days down there much faster so you can get back on the road with the A/C blowing on high!! lol

I'm running a Detroit "soft locker" that I think was made by Eaton but If I understand correctly they were bought out by Detriot. Could be wrong but if money is tight (always!) just put one of those in and don't look back!! Works great for SoCal trails! I haven't been able to find decent trails here in my new area to check it out in mud but most of the locals run lockers so I suppose they would know.

I gave away my BackCountry Adventures book when I moved up here so its hard to recommend trails for you without being able to show you on a map. I remember a nice starter trail that went from the city of Duarte (maybe Devore?) over the hills to Silverwood lake. Great ride with very nice views. Lots of pull outs to stop and eat lunch. Although if you have a nice breakfast wait until the end when you can eat lunch at the campground and have bathrooms for the family. Stick to the main trail, there are little off shoots for the 4x4 crowd but the mail trail should be passable in 2x4. I wouldn't recommend it during or after a recent rain as part of the trails are shelf roads that might be a bit scary to the family. If you can get your hands on that book I think its in there.
Which model viair do you have? And how much was it? And what brand air tank do you have? So do you use the small compressor to fill the air tank then use the air tank to fill the tire? Or what is the purpose of having an air tank also? Can I just fill up the tires with the compressor?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Which model viair do you have? And how much was it? And what brand air tank do you have? So do you use the small compressor to fill the air tank then use the air tank to fill the tire? Or what is the purpose of having an air tank also? Can I just fill up the tires with the compressor?
the air compressor by itself is slow, you can use it to fill your tires. The tank takes stress off of the air compressor and also allows large volumes of air to be dumped into your tires resulting in faster air ups. Also a compressor can’t maintain a constant pressure, while in use without having a tank in the system.
in the thread i linked earlier a guy talks about exactly how to plumb the system, or you can buy the whole kit for 200-400 at 4wheel parts

RAPTOgator

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Wilson
the air compressor by itself is slow, you can use it to fill your tires. The tank takes stress off of the air compressor and also allows large volumes of air to be dumped into your tires resulting in faster air ups. Also a compressor can’t maintain a constant pressure, while in use without having a tank in the system.
in the thread i linked earlier a guy talks about exactly how to plumb the system, or you can buy the whole kit for 200-400 at 4wheel parts
Ok I’ll get the compressor for now and then add a tank down the road. Maybe get the little more expensive one like the 80-100 dollar viair model.
Any good light bar brands you guys recommend? So many options on amazon. Obviously I would love to get those rigid light but those are super expensive and really good not super expensive light bars out there. I want the one that goes on top of the windshield. I almost like the big round lights “Pre-runner” look better than an led light bar. But the led probably works better.
I took the truck down a trail yesterday kinda fast, but the back tires did rub a little when hitting bumps hard. So I definitely do need to get some clearance in there.
what are some good suspension lift companies for the best price? A 3” front and 2” rear leveling blocks are like 400 bucks might as well spend a little more and get the suspension.

RAPTOgator

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Wilson
Also what would you guys say are the most important or best recovery equipment to get first?
Or which recovery equipment do you guys use most often when you get stuck? Go to tool when YOU are stuck in the mud? Sand? Or anything else..??

farm jack? With floor plate? Or can i get away with a regular floor jack?
compressor so I can drop air pressure?
shovel/ pick combo?
recovery straps? are nice but won’t really have anyone to pull me out.
Track mats? Those plastic traction boards
Those tire claws with straps the other guy mentioned earlier?
im not gonna be doing anything super crazy but definitely don’t want to get my family stuck way out on a trail somewhere.

BigJim

Rank 0

Contributor I

Aberdeen Washington
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stringer
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6FHO
Also what would you guys say are the most important or best recovery equipment to get first?
Or which recovery equipment do you guys use most often when you get stuck? Go to tool when YOU are stuck in the mud? Sand? Or anything else..??

shovel/ pick combo?
im not gonna be doing anything super crazy but definitely don’t want to get my family stuck way out on a trail somewhere.
We've already discussed the rear locker which I still think should be added for a 2x4 vehicle.
From there:

WATER!!! WATER!!! MORE WATER!!!! More then you need to drink for just each trail run. You need emergency supplies of water should you have a major breakdown in the SoCal deserts! Be prepared to survive for days or more!!! I've rescued many people who had major vehicle breakdowns in the heat of summer, yes they might have died if we hadn't come across them. People die in the deserts from the heat and from not being prepared to deal with it.

FIRST AID KIT!!!! Not the cheap gas station kind! A good quality kit and be familiar with how to use everything in it. Very important when taking family along. I'm always amazed at how much I've needed first aid supplies on trail runs.

Basic tool kit to your level of knowledge of how to use the tools. A digital multimeter will help with a lot of problems.

Shovel, cheap easy to use and has gotten me out of more problems then all the recovery gear I've ever had. That goes back to my days of off roading throughout the South West in a 2 wheel drive van. It works, albeit slowly. lol Have 2 if a family member can help dig. Sure a winch is nice, straps make life a little easier as long as you have an anchor point or friend along. Solo wheeling starts with a shovel. I've never had need for a pick, if the ground is that hard why would I pick at it? You can add an axe although the only time I've used one is when camping and chopping firewood.

Hi Lift Jack, as tall as you can get in your rig. Add the plastic base plate and whatever attachments you will need for your rig. Practice using it! You'll need to know where the jack points for each corner of the vehicle are located. Don't wait to get a flat on the trail only to find out you needed an extra attachment to fit your rig.

Air compressor with a tank. I use a Viair, can't recall which one but it has a %100 percent duty cycle. Add air tanks as you can and will fit. I've been using the Viair tanks for over and decade and still going strong.

Some type of rescue communication device. Up to you with your level of training or finances. If you can afford one get one of those satellite devices. They even have ones now that can send and receive messages by using your phone.

Whew!! Going to give my fingers a rest now!

Reactions: RAPTOgator

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ok I’ll get the compressor for now and then add a tank down the road. Maybe get the little more expensive one like the 80-100 dollar viair model.
Any good light bar brands you guys recommend? So many options on amazon. Obviously I would love to get those rigid light but those are super expensive and really good not super expensive light bars out there. I want the one that goes on top of the windshield. I almost like the big round lights “Pre-runner” look better than an led light bar. But the led probably works better.
I took the truck down a trail yesterday kinda fast, but the back tires did rub a little when hitting bumps hard. So I definitely do need to get some clearance in there.
what are some good suspension lift companies for the best price? A 3” front and 2” rear leveling blocks are like 400 bucks might as well spend a little more and get the suspension.
Right now 4wheel parts has a sale on the Apallo Pro 6” lights for 300 (2 spots and 2 floods with harnesses). I just picked up a set along with a set of Smittybilt gutter mounts, then went over to the hardware store and picked up a piece of 2”x.25” angle aluminum to build my own lightbar.
For suspension, I’m not sure, how much rub are we talking about? Would 2” spacers up front and 2” blocks in the rear work?

shovel/ pick combo?
Farm Jack, Tow Straps, And a Port-A-Pal. Read up on how to winch with your farm jack. Shovel and a pick are high up there as well... probably my least used piece of kit; but also the one that has saved my butt the most. Traction boards are a waste of money imho

RAPTOgator

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Wilson
Right now 4wheel parts has a sale on the Apallo Pro 6” lights for 300 (2 spots and 2 floods with harnesses). I just picked up a set along with a set of Smittybilt gutter mounts, then went over to the hardware store and picked up a piece of 2”x.25” angle aluminum to build my own lightbar.
For suspension, I’m not sure, how much rub are we talking about? Would 2” spacers up front and 2” blocks in the rear work?

Farm Jack, Tow Straps, And a Port-A-Pal. Read up on how to winch with your farm jack. Shovel and a pick are high up there as well... probably my least used piece of kit; but also the one that has saved my butt the most. Traction boards are a waste of money imho
Alright hell yeah im gonna get mini shovels and compressor and farm jack with winch kit.
and as far as clearance there’s a lot of clearance up in the wheel wells in the rear but the fender just sticks down, can I just cut that whole fender part off to give it more clearance? Or am I gonna fuck this thing up? I would like to keep it as low as possible don’t want a big ass 6” lift on it.

Reactions: M Rose

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
My farm jack is for winching.

The OEM Ford bottle jacks are fine for changing tires.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Alright hell yeah im gonna get mini shovels and compressor and farm jack with winch kit.
and as far as clearance there’s a lot of clearance up in the wheel wells in the rear but the fender just sticks down, can I just cut that whole fender part off to give it more clearance? Or am I gonna fuck this thing up? I would like to keep it as low as possible don’t want a big ass 6” lift on it.
You can trim the wheel wells, there is a lot of information on how to trim them. You need a saws all, or grinder, gloves, and pliers to roll the edge with

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'd say if you're sticking with a 2WD 6k+ lbs vehicle, get a proper winch on it. Really, I think I'd give that advice for ANY Overlander (especially if you ever intend to go out solo - which I'm not a huge fan of anyway).

Besides that I think testing and trial and error will help you spend your $ wisely. I think somebody else mentioned a rear locker. I think you'd be surprised how well the rig will work with just a good locker - and it compliments anything you might do later... ya know... like a 4wd swap. That'd be the next thing I would look into personally, I suspect it could be converted to 4wd with junkyard parts on a budget, but I'm not a FoMoCo guy, so I can't say for sure.

-TJ

RAPTOgator

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Wilson
Thanks for all the help and responses guys I really appreciate it! I went ahead and cut the wheel wells and now this thing looks lifted hahaha it has tons of clearance for the tires.
All I could think about as I was chopping my rear wheel well with a saws all was the one of the first comments someone left, he asked “ are you afraid of scratches” hahaha
But yeah I’m not sure if I need a lift anymore and I can probably fit 40” tires now lol

Attachments

RAPTOgator

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Wilson
is it a bad idea to just weld the diff on this thing? I’m thinking about doing it. Not my daily driver but I do drive it quite a bit.