Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
I currently own a lifted Subaru Outback 2.5i that I overland throughout the Pacific Northwest. Subarus can be capable for mild to moderate overlanding. When I first thought about overlanding my Outback, I put a lot of thought into what needs to be done. I used a combination of OEM, Suabru accessories, and aftermarket parts.

OEM/Subaru Accessories

Side body moldings
Remote Start
Wheel arch moldings
Hood deflector
Rain-guards
Back seat protectors

Aftermarket

Rallitek skid plates (Engine & Transmission)
Rallitek 1.5" Lift
Rallitek rocksliders
Rallitek rear overload springs (0.4")
Rallitek transmission mount
Rallitek adjustable control arms
Rallitek tie rods
Rallitek endlinks
Rallitek trailing arms
Ralliek rocksliders
Rally Innovations bar
Diode Dynamics light pods
Rally Armor mudflaps
Diode Dynamics fog lamp bulbs
Cooper Discoverers ATW3 4Ss (225/65/17)
iCW racing wheels
Blackvue front and rear dash cams
Yakima slimshady Awning
Thule basket
Weather tech mats
Switch pad for my pods
Ham radio and antenna
Surecall cell signal booster

For camping purposes, I sleep in my car. For this setup, I have the entire line from Luno Life which includes a car fan, air mattress, seat organizer, privacy screens that let’s air in but no bugs.

Here is the before (the day I drove her off the lot in 2013):

FB_IMG_1514515479233.jpg

To Now:

FB_IMG_1630944023272.jpg
20210711_140622.jpg
20210821_194317.jpg

My sleeping arrangements:
Of course, my favorite co-pilot wanted to come along.
20210821_185859.jpg

20210904_200719.jpg

Last edited:

Rifleman64

Rank III

Traveler III

Bee Cave, TX, USA
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Cats
Member #

Service Branch
Retired NYPD
Great cars- just sold off our 2010 over 200 k on the clock- but she started life off in the Northeast…ugh

Reactions: Cascadia

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
I like those graphics. Are they your design?
Thank you, ☺ The topographic portion was designed by a professional vinyl graphics designer who owns a company in Portland, OR. The mountain, stars, and trees were designed by a good friend of mine.

The graphics turn heads everywhere that the car goes.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Currently this Outback has everything that Rallitek can offer for it but there is no telling what they will be developing next. While I am waiting, I am currently working on other things with it.

Communications

I have had my ham license for 3 years now. Recently I added a GMRS license as well as a couple of radios (handheld and mounted) in my Outback. I also added a handheld CB radio to the mix. Now I have a total of 4 types of radios: Ham (handheld & built in), CB, walkie-talkie, and GMRS.

Camping storage

During my last camping trip, I learned a few things and one of them deals with storage. I got more clever with it particularly with my first aid items. I got a bit of influence from Overland Bound and developed a Base camp first aid kit. I used a Pelican case for it and it is a pretty complete first aid kit other than the trauma aspects. I am also looking at other aspects for storage.

Next up:
Mounting recovery boards to my basket
Changing my head unit
Paint correction
Changing my light switches

wvuoutback

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

I did a Sony XAV AX 7000 head unit and I love it. OTRATTW switches are the way to go. Alsom I have been eyeballing the RalliTek rock sliders. How do you like them?

Love the build!

Edit: What trailing arms are you running? I have the rallitek rear lower control arms I did not know they also made trailing arms for our rigs?

Last edited:

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Thank you for the compliment on my build.

In terms of my head unit, I am finding that it is on the complex side since it is a Harman Kardon with Navigation so I need to install several harnesses to make things work.

E4DA951E-65F2-4F62-9A87-CB0565DAA016.jpeg
As for Rallitek rock sliders, I love them. They are on the spendy side but they have been well-worth it. They have several functions that I have found. One of them is to protect the cladding, which already has a decent sized dent from an incident before the rocksliders were installed. Also, they can serve as a step to get items out of the basket. They can withstand 325 pounds on them.

wvuoutback

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

I managed to retain my steering wheel controls and everything else. I would recommend Crutchfield to make sure you get everything you need. They were super helpful when I installed my head unit and subwoofer.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
To answer your question about my trailing arms, they are from Rallitek. This car pretty much has most if not all of their setup/products for this gen.

136641DF-0D3E-4826-B24A-DA8FAEDC7194.jpeg
I know that Clutchfield is knowledgeable but they do not have much in stock at the moment.

Reactions: attacktheculdesac

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
It has been awhile since I updated this thread. My Outback has some goodies coming its way.

1)Orbis Overland rack wings
2)Orbis Overland Molle panels for the driver’s door and behind rear seats
3)brackets to mount my traction boards to the basket
4)has an appointment for paint correction
5)have all of the components to install my aftermarket radio; just need to find time to install it. The same goes for my GMRS unit and a means to switch out my light switches.

Right now, this is how it looks.

2C66E004-E9BD-4AF1-902C-21F388A2E311.jpeg

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Love the build! The graphics are awesome and will absolutely be recognizable from a distance :D. Gotta say I love me a tricked out Subie, really makes me miss my impreza.

• Love

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Love the build! The graphics are awesome and will absolutely be recognizable from a distance :D. Gotta say I love me a tricked out Subie, really makes me miss my impreza.
Thank you. :) Those graphics really turn heads when it is out on the road.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Just a few updates on the Outback.

1)I have replaced my iCW racing wheels with Method 502s in Titanium grey as well as replaced my Cooper Discoverers with Nitto Nomad Grapplers. The new tires have performed very well on many terrains but I just need to try them out on snow/ice.
2)Showcasing it at Overland Expo Mtn West went relatively well.
3)I have also added a NashFab/Rallitek ladder to the hatch. Rest assured- hatch still fully opens; it is just a bit heavier than before.

301006025_5220273414736459_7344201949719025794_n.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

306557597_5285104934919973_5838422873260874597_n.jpg305756453_5285104861586647_852164225623410535_n.jpg

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Just a few updates on the Outback.

1)I have replaced my iCW racing wheels with Method 502s in Titanium grey as well as replaced my Cooper Discoverers with Nitto Nomad Grapplers. The new tires have performed very well on many terrains but I just need to try them out on snow/ice.
2)Showcasing it at Overland Expo Mtn West went relatively well.
3)I have also added a NashFab/Rallitek ladder to the hatch. Rest assured- hatch still fully opens; it is just a bit heavier than before.

View attachment 243281

View attachment 243282

View attachment 243283View attachment 243284
Awesome outback.

What's the sticker with 3rd all about?

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Awesome outback.

What's the sticker with 3rd all about?
Thank you. :blush:

The item that says 3rd is my Badge of Ownership. It is attached to my car with 3M tape, similar to what my Overland Badge badge has. The 3rd icon says My 3rd Subaru and the smaller ones show various hobbies and interests that are meaningful to me. It is a small thing that Subaru of America offers to its owners in the United States except for Hawaii since they are a part of Subaru of Oceania.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Thank you. :blush:

The item that says 3rd is my Badge of Ownership. It is attached to my car with 3M tape, similar to what my Overland Badge badge has. The 3rd icon says My 3rd Subaru and the smaller ones show various hobbies and interests that are meaningful to me. It is a small thing that Subaru of America offers to its owners in the United States except for Hawaii since they are a part of Subaru of Oceania.
That's cool. I hope Subaru Canada has this same fun thing.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
I have tested my Nitto Nomad Grapplers in some mild snow conditions. So far, I am very happy with them but I am hoping to try them out in deeper snow than a few inches. These tires have also been good in mud, dirt, and rock.

20221115_075457 (1).jpg

attacktheculdesac

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pineywoods of Texas
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Hardy
Member #

Very very capable add-ons. Have heard many of great things from RalliTek, nice to see an actual review/install and the products beign used.

Look forward to more updates :cheers:

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Very very capable add-ons. Have heard many of great things from RalliTek, nice to see an actual review/install and the products beign used.

Look forward to more updates :cheers:
Thank you for the compliment. The car still drives like it should when it was stock.

I know the whole crew at Rallitek. They are a good group of guys who are very knowledgeable and stand by their products. They help me tremulously to help convert a very capable vehicle and take it further into the wild. I have taken it where the more well-known overlanding vehicles go.