First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Thank you. :blush:

Your 2017 looked good as well. My next one might be a Wilderness edition but something about my 2014 won't let go since I drove it off the lot in 2013.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
t has been a long time since I updated this thread. Where do I start about my car?

Not too long ago, the traction boards were reinstalled onto my basket. Also, the Diode Dynamics flood clear pods and put in Drive in amber in hope to see when it is foggy or dense snow in the mountains. I really never had this type of problem until last fall. I will try to adjust the angle so that they are functional and do not blind anyone.

20230213_080904.jpg

20230213_080855.jpg

A few weeks ago, my lift supports for my hatch died and would not hold it open very long. I replaced them with OEM ones and see if the new ones can withstand the weight of the ladder. If they do not, I also have some strong arm ones that I put in storage as a backup. So far, they are holding well with the added weight in the rear.

Recently, I traveled back to Portland to touch base with the crew at Rallitek. I purchased one of their new rear license plate frames that allows lights or a GoPro to be installed onto it if I choose to do so. Also, we are in talks about possibly installing a rear differential locker and winch onto my car. I have a potential barrier in the way of the winch...my Rally Innovations light bar but we will see what happens. Only the future would knows....

Also, I will eventually be installing engine block heaters in my cars due to how cold it gets here in the wintertime. My newer Legacy doesn't seem to mind the cold starts but the Outback does not like it.

AndrewFRO

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Agoura Hills, CA, USA
First Name
aaaa
Last Name
aaaa
@Cascadia Love your build! Currently working on and loving my 2017. I also sleep in my vehicle but have constructed a carpeted sleeping platform with slide out drawers underneath for storage. Seeing your setup I'm a bit envious of the headroom you have!

Don't have as many suspension upgrades as you but I posted some pics of my rig below! Went with the Ironman 2" coilovers.thumbnail_IMG_2029 (1).jpgthumbnail_IMG_2073 (1).jpg

Attachments

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Awww...thank you. Very nice 2017

My sleep setup is pretty simple which is just a Luno air mattress, USB powered fans, a bag for my shoes (attaches to the car's body), screens, pockets, curtains, and my Bluetti portable battery. It has a bit of a downfall though...storage. I always have to figure out where to put my items when not in use such as my pots and pans.

In terms of ground clearance, I am bit envy of the 2" lift. I am just on a 1.5" lift with rear overload springs in the rear. I lost 0.5" of ground clearance due to my rock sliders but they have a good amount of benefits to them.

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

Cool outback! I have a 2019 Forester. Did you notice a big change in mpg when you added everything to it? Looking at upgrades to mine but it's also my daily commuter so trying to figure out a good balance.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Cool outback! I have a 2019 Forester. Did you notice a big change in mpg when you added everything to it? Looking at upgrades to mine but it's also my daily commuter so trying to figure out a good balance.
Before I started doing all of these upgrades, my gas mileage averaged 25-26 mpg. Nowadays, I am getting 21-23 mpg. Sometimes I can get it back to 25 mpg when I am just cruising on the highway for long distances. So the gas mileage did drop a bit but it is not super terrible. My Outback occasionally goes to work with me but sometimes it splits that with a 2020 Legacy XT since I need to keep both of their batteries and fluids in good shape.

In terms of balancing everything, I had to make sure that I do not put too much weight on one end. The car is heavier now with all of the upgrades. Stock-wise, it weighed about 4500 pounds and now it is closer to 4800 pounds. Sometimes I can feel it being heavier but it still drives like a champ.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Just a bit of an update on the Outback. After a recent overlanding trip near Colorado Springs, I could feel that my suspension is a bit on the tired side but nothing is leaking. Current suspension setup: fronts-KYB struts and OEM springs and the rear-original struts with Rallitek overload springs. I thought about trying Blistein B6 struts with Rallitek springs on all 4 corners. This Friday, they will be put on and we will see if I like them or not.

20230406_154329.jpg

Over the weekend, I gave this Outback a full-on detailing which included the exterior, interior, and the undercarriage.

20230415_171759.jpg

20230415_172011.jpg

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Very slight update. The new suspension is on the Outback, after trying to get the very old, dirty, and rusty suspension off. In terms of how it feels, it is stiff but not as stiff as some warned me about. This might be due to that I was used to the stiffness of the rear overload springs.

20230421_145001.jpg20230424_084511.jpg

Last edited:

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
If one can see in the photo above (previous post), my Outback needed an alignment to fix the rear toe. The dealership managed to get it done but it is not perfect but within spec. Sometime this summer, I am thinking about heading back to where it was built and see the crew at Rallitek and see if they can do an inspection and alignment. The car drives fine though but it never hurts to do this.

20230515_192123.jpg

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
It has been awhile since I have posted anything about my vehicle due to things being rather quiet (weather has been nasty this summer) but I still have my Outback. It just completed an almost 3600-mile roundtrip back to Portland metro. While there, I visited my favorite offroad shop, Rallitek and they performed an inspection and installed a couple of items while there like no times. The new items that they installed are a CVT oil intercooler and a strut brace. They also revealed that there would be aluminum ladder for Suabrus very soon. My current ladder weighs 16 pounds like might not seem like alot but when there is snow and ice on it, the hatch closes on its own. Sometimes I have to back my car into the driveway so that the hatch does not fall down while loading stuff in the car. The aluminim one weighs 6 pounds which I am looking forward to having on my car and replace my old one.

The car's next event is Overland Expo Mtn West-no showcasing this year since I did that last year.

Slight update: I was asked to have my vehicle at the Luno Life booth.

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Considering making that generation Forester Sport my daily driver.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
This was the car's location at Overland Expo Mtn West. I still have a good amount of headroom back there. Soon I might try to put a platform in there to see if it would work or not. 20230824_192628.jpg20230825_073316.jpg

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
If one can see in the photo above (previous post), my Outback needed an alignment to fix the rear toe. The dealership managed to get it done but it is not perfect but within spec. Sometime this summer, I am thinking about heading back to where it was built and see the crew at Rallitek and see if they can do an inspection and alignment. The car drives fine though but it never hurts to do this.

View attachment 257973
Love it. Did you get your alignment figured out? I will tell you if your rear wheels are out, water and snow will NOT be fun. Our Patriot was out of alignment bad and the back end of the jeep would fishtail at the slightest rain or snow coverage on the road. After the new parts and alignment....NO issues.

Reactions: Cascadia

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Love it. Did you get your alignment figured out? I will tell you if your rear wheels are out, water and snow will NOT be fun. Our Patriot was out of alignment bad and the back end of the jeep would fishtail at the slightest rain or snow coverage on the road. After the new parts and alignment....NO issues.
I tried one of the local tire shops and they did ok but one of the front wheels was a bit on the maxed side out but otherwise, the alignment was within spec. But when I did my roadtrip back to Portland, Rallitek corrected the alignment to being nearly perfect, since they know all of the parts on the vehicle. I won't be able to go out to Rallitek on a regular basis so I am hoping to find a local alignment shop that could work on a lifted Subaru and not scared of all of the aftermarket parts particularly in the rear.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I tried one of the local tire shops and they did ok but one of the front wheels was a bit on the maxed side out but otherwise, the alignment was within spec. But when I did my roadtrip back to Portland, Rallitek corrected the alignment to being nearly perfect, since they know all of the parts on the vehicle. I won't be able to go out to Rallitek on a regular basis so I am hoping to find a local alignment shop that could work on a lifted Subaru and not scared of all of the aftermarket parts particularly in the rear.
Yeah, I had to goto Goodyear auto center here to get a correct alignment. I have Moog adjustable everythings on my pat. Made a huge difference. Tire wear is MUCH better now.

Reactions: Cascadia