Overlanders living in their rigs for extended periods of time?

• HTML tutorial

be-lost

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey guys.

After seeing the popularity of the tiny house movement rise, I am wondering if there are a lot of you who live in your rig for the majority of the year. I've seen people do expeditions but I haven't heard about anyone actually living full time in the trucks.

If you do, would you care to share a little bit of your story and, perhaps, the side that doesn't make it to the YouTube videos?

Thanks in advance!

(if this is not the right forum to post this, I apologize! Still getting to know the site. :) )

-Oscar

Reactions: Thomas Smith

nomad666

Rank 0

Contributor II

I just did 30 days of living out of my mine only thing is I ran out of water (10gal) after 2 weeks but had no problem finding someone to get some water from and filling up again other than that it all went well had oatmeal for breakfast and normal meals like I would at home for dinner the fridge freezer was awesome to have don't know how I managed without one before... It can take several trips or several years to depending on how often you get out to refine the gear you need or don't need for a trip. This trip refined my watercraft setup left the canoe at home and used a packraft this saved weight/space/and gas and was great for fishing the lakes I came across.

Reactions: Badrun and be-lost

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
Jake Wettern | iamjake is giving it a go out of a YJ, although it's currently in the shop.

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

I was 20 days "urban camping" in the Jeep this year, and over 30 on the road - not "off grid" overlanding - always had close drive (within an hour) for food and water fill ups. Already had to cancel a 2017 30 day overland adventure this early winter... but with a bit of luck I'll be on the road early in 2018 for 3-4 months straight - mixed urban and off grid - so that should get interesting for me and raise some challenges!

This is in a Jeep Wrangler... yes.. IN it. I parted ways with a roof top tent for a variety of reasons. Here's a view inside looking out the 'back door'. It's cozy, but doable. My challenges are enough food and diversity of food. I do load up on canned food and basic staples like peanut butter. Other challenges I had was actually boredom - despite having opportunity for a million things to actually do. I faced things like, do I just hang out here another day, or venture forward somewhere else. Although money wasn't an issue, I did have that in mind because a new location could potentially cost a tank of fuel to move.

yes, this is my sleeping area
by e j, on Flickr

Reactions: Badrun and Jimmy P

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

temporary.jpg
Since 2015 ive been hiking long trails and living out of a backpack. Earlier this year i was in the desert in souther california when i just got tired of walking. Bought a Tacoma, stayed at my parents for a few months while i worked on the truck. As of today i have been living/overlandingg for 37 days. The transition was probably easier for me than most due to amount of shit i owned going into it and i upgraded my comfort level, not downgraded. Im still learning here and there but its going good so far.

NoahGenda

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the road
Member #

Me and the lady quit our normal Jobs in July and live full time in our Toyota T100. Been on the road for about 4 months now and have at least another year of travel planned.

Food is easy, we just cook as we normally would. We carry a lot of dried goods and canned items and stop once a week at a grocery store to stock up on proteins and produce.

You definitely have to pare down your belongings and we are in a constant debate of whether we need something or not. If an item doesn't get used once a month or more then it gets shipped back to our storage unit. We work odd jobs and I pick up some photography and social media work when i can for income. Its pretty cheap to live the way we do though, we spend about $50/day on fuel/food/camping so we are not making much money but we did save up a decent amount.

Currently we are still on the East Coast although we are excited to get back out West soon. House sitting and work trade websites are awesome for when we want to stay in a house for a few days and catch up on laundry and internet. Its not hard to do at all, you just need to make the commitment and find a way.

Reactions: Badrun