Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Technically by deffinition it's anytime you travel by land.
Have you ever wondered why no one ever questions the word Overseas, just Overland ?
The explanation of both is in Webster's Dictionary and it's perfectly clear.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Have you ever wondered why no one ever questions the word Overseas, just Overland ?
hummmm...very good point!

ha! i bet if you did a site called Overseas Bound, you would get some crazy stuff...and eventually it would boil down to its not being "overseas" unless you did it in a tiny handmade boat with no motor and no compass, etc...etc...etc

r.jpg

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Is that another website that insists that overlanding is only landrovers in Africa, a continent that can be ''overlanded'' in a 2wd Mercedes wagon? Landrover defender suv's kinda suck for overlanding. Cramped, noisy, uncomfortable. I'll take a fullsize over them in Africa, US, or canada, any day.

95% of my overlanding is pavement, boondocking, and plain old glamping in plain old travel trailers. Not really my choice, but the way it is. Big deal.

Reactions: Tim Roberts

Eabmoto

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle
I go camping, surfing, fishing and take road trips to visit friends and family. I enjoy having a vehicle that is fun to drive and gear that makes those activities comfortable. The overlanding trend has come out with lots of cool gear. This site talks a lot about those cool vehicles and all the cool gear.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
works for me. my definition of "overlanding" is getting out far enough away from people where i can pee outside and not worry about getting arrested. :grin:
Grub, move to LA or San Francisco. They won't arrest you there and in fact they encourage public urination and defecation !

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It's cute that they blame the electric company. Not the grow houses. Or the still smoking cigarette butts tossed out the window of nearly every other car.

Reactions: grubworm

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Some people feel more drawn to things that are considered badass, like "overlanding" or anything "extreme." Other people don't really care what the action is referred to and just want to have fun.

Companies will always market their products with key words to spark interest and build value.

You take an LED lantern for example and market it as an "overlanding illumination device" and you just doubled it's perceived value to some people.

Just saying........

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Some people feel more drawn to things that are considered badass, like "overlanding" or anything "extreme." Other people don't really care what the action is referred to and just want to have fun.

Companies will always market their products with key words to spark interest and build value.

You take an LED lantern for example and market it as an "overlanding illumination device" and you just doubled it's perceived value to some people.

Just saying........
Sssshhh... you are going to mess up my business plan of adding "overlander approved" stickers to various products and re-selling them.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Does the "Overland" community have an identity crisis? Seems to be an awful lot of threads here and elsewhere debating what exactly "Overlanding" entails. Just get out there and enjoy it.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Well its a psychological need for people to identify with a group, so wanting to have a good thorough definition for a said identity makes sense to me. Honestly it takes a lot to be able to function as an actual individual, and even most individuals still have a group identity. So its less of an identity crisis, and more of an indication of the growing popularity, and the need for people to know that they fit with the group they want to be a part of. To me its kinda nice to see really, it shows that we as a group are growing and diversifying. And in diversity comes more experience to draw from which in the long run will make us stronger.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Does the "Overland" community have an identity crisis? Seems to be an awful lot of threads here and elsewhere debating what exactly "Overlanding" entails. Just get out there and enjoy it.
There "IS" a lot of discussion about the definition of the word. It seems to be the first question a newbie has when he comes on line with OB. So the question is raised frequently. I dont know why they need definition because Webster's Dictionary clearly defines the word Overland. OB'ers are quick to defend their opinion of the word and naturally (I'm guessing) none agree.

Well its a psychological need for people to identify with a group, so wanting to have a good thorough definition for a said identity makes sense to me. Honestly it takes a lot to be able to function as an actual individual, and even most individuals still have a group identity. So its less of an identity crisis, and more of an indication of the growing popularity, and the need for people to know that they fit with the group they want to be a part of. To me its kinda nice to see really, it shows that we as a group are growing and diversifying. And in diversity comes more experience to draw from which in the long run will make us stronger.
I hope you are right. From what I have seen here the questioning of what is and what isn't is causing division. Pretty soon we will have an OB 2 wheel drive group. Another will be OB 4 wheel drive group. then that divides into an OB rock crawling group, then an OB mud bogging group, then an OB trail following group, on and on and on. Personally my need is for a group that has unity and doesn't differentiate one from another. That is what this OB organization is supposed to be all about. Problem is there are rebel rousers that continue to separate themselves from the rest with definitions, not equipment or goals.
When I first started doing this it was in a model A Ford doing sand hill climbing back in 1947. The only name it had was lets go have fun climbing hills, or crossing a desert to get to some hidden lake or hunting location. Overland is just a word, nothing else. No one questions you when you say "I'm going to go bowling, so why would anyone question you when you say "I'm going overlanding" ? All I would ask is where, lets go together !

Reactions: MazeVX and grubworm

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Overlanding / car camping. Who cares just get out and do it. I myself call it Overlanding when it is a trip of 2 weeks plus with backcountry adventure. I say I'm camping when it's for an overnight or longer. And to me it's just an off-road excursion if it's only for a day. But that's just me an old man who grew up exploring and camping.
Now I do a little of both and my car camping has expanded into distance travel. My car is my overland vehicle.7-27-14.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_441.jpg
Desktop.jpg

But really just get outdoors and enjoy life, who cares what you or anyone else calls it.

• Love
Reactions: MazeVX and PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Overlanding / car camping. Who cares just get out and do it. I myself call it Overlanding when it is a trip of 2 weeks plus with backcountry adventure. I say I'm camping when it's for an overnight or longer. And to me it's just an off-road excursion if it's only for a day. But that's just me an old man who grew up exploring and camping.
Now I do a little of both and my car camping has expanded into distance travel. My car is my overland vehicle.View attachment 129144
View attachment 129147
View attachment 129148

But really just get outdoors and enjoy life, who cares what you or anyone else calls it.
Great overlanding photos

Reactions: Terry Pickens