Launch Member

Traveler I

?
First Name
Bronson
Last Name
Mills
Member #

I grew up 4wheeling to campsites or backpacking for a few days or weeks. We called it camping. I was exposed to "overlanding" when I read Graeme Bell's books about navigating South America with his kids. Since then, the wife and I started homeschooling, built up a Landcruiser and are on a current 8 year world trip looking for amazing backcountry spots with our dog in row. We still call it "traveling." I'm still confused why most Americans so rarely leave the US to "overland." It is so much cheaper and just as safe, unless you watch the propaganda on Fox News. We meet hundreds of people from other countries who will fly over to Canada or Alaska, buy a 4x4, and proceed to drive it to Patagonia, sell it, and go back to work a year or 2 later, only to do it again in Africa. More people here should try the same in other countries. We need to represent the US![emoji6] It seems like most Americans are more about the "toys" and less about the experience. I wouldn't be able to afford our experience if we spent as much money on our rig as the people on these forums. Thats the US marketing machine for you.IMG_20191125_140348.jpeg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
unless you watch the propaganda on Fox News.
I wouldn't be able to afford our experience if we spent as much money on our rig as the people on these forums. Thats the US marketing machine for you.
Ha! Yeah, the news is just a gimmick to influence people the way the "powers that be" see fit. Fox news works on those who are more conservative and CNN preys on the more liberal...same multi-headed snake, though. Took me a while to start figuring stuff out and the same goes for marketing...i played into it BIG time in my younger and more influential years. Getting out and doing what you're doing is quite the eye opener and most people don't want their eyes opened, its easier to be a sheep. Anyway, I definitely applaud you for leading your family in the right direction and teaching the value of experiences versus material things. I noticed that for me, when I got out and actually started meeting people from other countries, they are mainly just good people wanting the same out of life as everyone else and the mess and drama is generated by government. Get away from politics, social media and all the propaganda and the world is a really cool place!
I wish you the best in your travels!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I grew up 4wheeling to campsites or backpacking for a few days or weeks. We called it camping. I was exposed to "overlanding" when I read Graeme Bell's books about navigating South America with his kids. Since then, the wife and I started homeschooling, built up a Landcruiser and are on a current 8 year world trip looking for amazing backcountry spots with our dog in row. We still call it "traveling." I'm still confused why most Americans so rarely leave the US to "overland." It is so much cheaper and just as safe, unless you watch the propaganda on Fox News. We meet hundreds of people from other countries who will fly over to Canada or Alaska, buy a 4x4, and proceed to drive it to Patagonia, sell it, and go back to work a year or 2 later, only to do it again in Africa. More people here should try the same in other countries. We need to represent the US![emoji6] It seems like most Americans are more about the "toys" and less about the experience. I wouldn't be able to afford our experience if we spent as much money on our rig as the people on these forums. Thats the US marketing machine for you.View attachment 129172
I wouldn't exactly call you a minimalist from the looks of your rig ! I'm happy that you are doing your thing, it takes all kinds of people to live in this world of diversity. Your way is only one !

I choose another less liberal path without degrading how others live, where they travel or what others do with their money. We are both living under a constitution that other people in other nations would die for. You don't have that constitution in the countries you travel and you put your family in harms way.

Please don't encourage others to follow your path ! All the countries you mention have a history of violence towards Americans that flair up unexpectedly. The governments in these countries do not protect you and in fact will extort you. Beware my friend !