Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bremerton, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCall
Hey guys!

Been gone a while, but it's great to be back. I finally ended up going with a 2000 Silverado 4x4 for my rig only to realize it's an absolute gas killer. I kinda knew it would be, but a lot of the spots I go to are far out and it adds up, especially with expensive west coast gas prices.

I'm looking for something still capable but a lot better on gas, right now I'm thinking a Subaru build or something similar, any input or advice on this?

I don't hardcore rock crawl or anything like that, and it'll also be my commuter. Thanks y'all!!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Can you get a Subaru with a 4wd low range?

The NPS seems to use low range as their dividing line for which vehicles are suitable for certain trails and which are not. It is not just about rock crawling. I have been on trails where it is more a matter of descent control (as opposed to overheating the brakes) and keeping engine RPMs in the right range for ascent (as opposed to overheating).

ADVTouring

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Great Smoky Mountains, United States
First Name
Damien
Last Name
Meredith
Member #

There is a low gear selection
With that and the larger wheels plus AWD.
Its what makes my Forester technically an SUV.

Although its really a beefed up car on steroids..
lol

It fits the bill for my style of exploration and I too just did not want to toss $100’s at the gas pump just to get out somewhere.

I love all the bigger rigs and can see the benefits, but there is huge piece of mind for me, knowing your not burning cash as fast as fuel getting out somewhere.

Less is more to me.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Low gear is not the same as low range.

My 2wd pickup has low gear.

My 4x4s all also have low gears. The magic happens when you combine low gear with low range.

Reactions: ADVTouring

TM89

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bremerton, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCall
I don't think most do. Some super old GLs do I believe but in general, no. Most of what I'm doing is commuting anyway, but it does snow up here and I go on muddy loogging roads to get to my places at times, although they're not crazy. I've seen a lot of late 90's Impreza wagons with the 2.2L for cheap with reasonable mileage and I'll admit it's tempting.

TM89

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bremerton, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCall
I've heard of x mode. But I'm not looking to finance and it'll be the same price range as my Silverado was, $5k ish or under. I wanna leave some money for a mild lift and tires at the very least.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

TM89,
It all depends on your use. For me it was have two vehicles. One that is cheap on gas and gets me back and forth to work. Cheap throw away car. Then there’s my 4x4, got me were I wanted to go, even if it cost more in fuel, but was my pride and joy. (Jeep ) If you can only have one vehicle that is a tough one and I never came up with a good answer. I did the subie thing. Great cars back and forth to work, as a daily driver. But it just did not work well for my off-road travels. Vance

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I used to have a 2000 Silverado so I know how bad gas was, the new one I replaced it with is so much better on gas. When I do go out on some of the trails I do notice a few subarus sometimes, mostly forester's I think

TM89

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bremerton, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCall
Exactly, I get that. Mine needs to be able to travel both on and off road. Truth be told my off roading is pretty mild, muddy logging/mountain trails and roads mainly. Of course there is the possibility of snow and ice being in the PNW. I'll look into first gen foresters too. If I went Subaru, is there anything specific to look for besides the 2.2 in a manual, if anyone knows?

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Low range on the Subaru's is often misunderstood. All Foresters came with a Dual Range transmission, but they were never imported to the USA with a DR trans. This DR trans was not like a normal Transfercase that added gear reduction after the output. The Subie DR trans was a overall gear reduction before the transmission. The range of reduction varied over the years, but maxed out at 59%. I understand the aftermarket can help, but it is all overseas stuff.
The early Subaru's from the 80's and maybe into the early 90's came with this DR trans. There are companies that sell adapters to install one into a later car, but there are limits. Early engines only had 86HP, if you get an XT Turbo they have 225HP. Longevity could be a concern. To get a more modern DR trans, you have to get one imported from Australia, Europe or Asia. These also were behind the 2.0l N/A engines only.

As for the Forester being usable as a OB rig, heck yea. There are a number of people on this forum and elsewhere with YouTube channels that use the Subie as a Overlanding rig. They have limitations, but as long as you know what those are and stay withing the limits, you can explore and have a great time in one.

I have a 90 Suburban and a 2001 Subaru Forester. The Suburban gets 10.5 MPG empty on the HWY, the Subie get 25 MPG. The Suburban can go places the Subaru can't go, but it costs 2.5 times as much to get there. I have no plans to get rid of the Suburban, I need it to tow my 30ft travel trailer. However I do plan to get rid of the 2001 Forester and buy a 2009-2012 Forester XT Turbo in a few months. I need it to drive back and forth to the airport for work and to get through the snow where I live.
I plan to have the Forester lifted and bigger tires and outfitted for Overlanding. This way I can afford to actually go out in it.
BTW, My wife and Daughter both have 2019 Foresters and I have the 2001, soon to be a 09-12 XT. We like them.

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

What mpg's do you consider to be "gas killer"? My 2001 4Runner with a lift and 32" tires made a great Overland rig (with an actual 4low transfer case) and got around 18-20mpgs. I thought that was pretty good. Maybe look into older Toyota's? Late 90s early 2000s?

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

What mpg's do you consider to be "gas killer"? My 2001 4Runner with a lift and 32" tires made a great Overland rig (with an actual 4low transfer case) and got around 18-20mpgs. I thought that was pretty good. Maybe look into older Toyota's? Late 90s early 2000s?
For me it is not just about MPG. I have a great rugged offroad vehicle in the Suburban. Solid axles, tons of space, bad MPG. I can't get rid of it, anything I replace it with to do the same job will get the same mileage. I need a commuter type car for work.
On Mondays I drive 1.5 hours to the Airport and then home on Friday. If I don't fly out, then I am driving to a customer location up to 3 hours away.
So its not so much that I need an Overland rig that gets good mileage, its that I want a car that gets good mileage that I can do a little Overlanding in if I want. The cost of gas to drive the Suburban would kill me, so I need a smaller eco car, this way I get a bonus in that I can camp/explore in it.
I also can get a lot of snow where I live and I live at the base of the mountains. My driveway is long and steep. I need AWD just to get up the driveway when it snows. I also need something that I can be sure I will make it to the airport with no matter the weather.
As I write this I am looking out the window and it is snowing here in the Yakima area.

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

For me it is not just about MPG. I have a great rugged offroad vehicle in the Suburban. Solid axles, tons of space, bad MPG. I can't get rid of it, anything I replace it with to do the same job will get the same mileage. I need a commuter type car for work.
On Mondays I drive 1.5 hours to the Airport and then home on Friday. If I don't fly out, then I am driving to a customer location up to 3 hours away.
So its not so much that I need an Overland rig that gets good mileage, its that I want a car that gets good mileage that I can do a little Overlanding in if I want. The cost of gas to drive the Suburban would kill me, so I need a smaller eco car, this way I get a bonus in that I can camp/explore in it.
I also can get a lot of snow where I live and I live at the base of the mountains. My driveway is long and steep. I need AWD just to get up the driveway when it snows. I also need something that I can be sure I will make it to the airport with no matter the weather.
As I write this I am looking out the window and it is snowing here in the Yakima area.
I'm a bit confused by your response because my questions were directed to the Original Poster of this thread. Are you looking for a capable and dependable daily driver Scott? Or just sharing your situation?
My Overlanding Rig gets about 13.9 mpgs fully loaded and because of that it is strictly the weekend fun-rig and adventure-mobile. We have a Subaru Outback that gets 35 mpgs for the commuter. We drive 80 miles a day Mon-Fri for our commute. The roads get VERY nasty here all winter and the Subaru with a set of Blizzaks snow tires does the job easily and keeps us safe and secure. I highly recommend Subaru's for daily drivers.

Reactions: 9Mike2

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Well I was answering the question asked about the low range option in the Foresters. Then just sharing my situation in that I am also looking for a newer Subaru that relate to the same reasons the OP is looking for one.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Don't spend $40,000 to save a couple hundred bucks on rare long distance trips. I can't stop laughing about how often people do that.

My F350 burns a single tank every weekend, and goes on two measly cross country trips a year. 15mpg is fine. I'm not about to spend $11,000 for the diesel option so that I can save $100 round trip to Key West. I could take my car, that would save me $150. But that would cost me my favorite parking spots and my cargo room.

Reactions: JimBill

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Don't spend $40,000 to save a couple hundred bucks on rare long distance trips. I can't stop laughing about how often people do that.

My F350 burns a single tank every weekend, and goes on two measly cross country trips a year. 15mpg is fine. I'm not about to spend $11,000 for the diesel option so that I can save $100 round trip to Key West. I could take my car, that would save me $150. But that would cost me my favorite parking spots and my cargo room.
I totally agree, that is why I am not spending money to replace my old Suburban with a new one. I am also not buying a "New" Forester for my daily driver. My commuter car will be used and I want to keep the price to about $10,000.
I suspect that both the OP and myself want a smaller car with good mileage for many reasons other than a couple of camping trip a few times a year, those are just a bonus use of an already needed vehicle.
Think of it this way, I need a knife, I can buy a single blade pocket knife, or I can buy a Swiss Army knife. I am going to buy the Swiss Army knife, I will get more use out of one car than if I just go buy a 2wd Kia sedan, and I will still spend the same money to get there.

TM89

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bremerton, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCall
For me I'm averaging about 14mpg and I do a considerable amount of driving on the highway. Most spots are at least an hour out from me and it's at least half a tank in the round trip alone.