Launch Member

Traveler III

Pueblo, Colorado, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
King
Member #

As long as the fuel engine is good enough to get you out if something fails. The range on something like that with a real gas tank would be unreal!

Reactions: Michael

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Just make sure you don't totally empty the hybrid battery pack.. That kills the whole car xD. The starter battery (a 'normal' one) can be kicked to live just like in any other cars.. But if you drain the high voltage battery pack you are done. Isn't really that easy to run a fridge off the pack.. the voltage / amps are way higher. Like 200 to 300 volts..(at least the TOyota ones.) Some electro skills might fix that but warranty is a goner then I fear :P

Oh and last but not least, every Hybrid I ever driven came with a big ass warning not to drive to standing water. Water and electrical systems don't mix.. kinda hard when overlanding :P

Still, a nice idea though, who knows in a few years.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Just make sure you don't totally empty the hybrid battery pack.. That kills the whole car xD. The starter battery (a 'normal' one) can be kicked to live just like in any other cars.. But if you drain the high voltage battery pack you are done. Isn't really that easy to run a fridge off the pack.. the voltage / amps are way higher. Like 200 to 300 volts..(at least the TOyota ones.) Some electro skills might fix that but warranty is a goner then I fear :P

Oh and last but not least, every Hybrid I ever driven came with a big ass warning not to drive to standing water. Water and electrical systems don't mix.. kinda hard when overlanding :P

Still, a nice idea though, who knows in a few years.
Jeep has been looking into this for more than a decade - and has thus far pumped some serious coin into going this direction. One would hope they would have considered the factors you're bringing up - but you never know with Jeep..... Some of the early concepts of the new Wrangler had me believing Fiat had really dug it's claws in.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

I am not really a fan of hybrid. Imagine all the weight with all the batteries. I people really want to go sustainable or environmental friendly we should be using all diesel and bio-diesel for fuel. The original diesel motor was designed to run on peanut oil.

Edit. I do like the solar panel idea to run camp gear integrated. That part seems nice.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I agree with the pros and cons but I think this is only a matter of time. I like torque, and power the old fashioned way, but there will come a day when my arguments about reliability, output, and range will be disproven. Imagine an overland vehicle with limitless range, and no fuel to carry. Pretty compelling.

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

An interesting concept, really. Take a look at the lunar rovers. Totally electric, a motor at each wheel. And with no power loss due to transmissions, transfer cases and differentials could be interesting. Obviously need to increase speed and range capability, though.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Since before 2010 I've driven Toyota Hybrids on and off. Owned 2 myself over the course of 2010 to 2015.. And from around 2013 driven about 5 diffrent ones for work as well. Toyota by far isn't the only company doing hybrids now as everybody jumped on the bandwagon but I doubt the other makes are so much diffrent. So I think it will be quite a strugle to make it worth while in a true 4x4 overlanding vehicle. Though some vehicles like Lexus have had 4x4 hybrids for years now, I doubt they are suitable for some serious overlanding.

Then again, after all the hybrids I'm going for a diesel Landcruiser as well as soon as I can :P

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

An interesting concept, really. Take a look at the lunar rovers. Totally electric, a motor at each wheel. And with no power loss due to transmissions, transfer cases and differentials could be interesting. Obviously need to increase speed and range capability, though.
Motor on each wheel also means no axle or CV joints going down, which means a ton more clearance.

Plus amazing control of power going to each individual wheel and incredible, instant torque.

I'd love to see an electric overlanding vehicle with an onboard generator to recharge, similar to the Chevy volt. One day...