Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Popped up to Big Sur for 3 days. We found great campsites, either mountain or ocean views. We went for ocean...because we could!

It was very easy to get to. The roads had been pretty corrugated and rutted, but because of "fire season" they currently have equipment working on the roads. I can easily provide turn by turn, but the trip began following Michael's Big Sur trip. Once you're high enough up onto the hillside, it's camp anywhere as long as it's near the road. We found ridiculous ridge top forever views. We rehabbed an old rock fire pit and found an ancient picnic table behind some trees that looked out over the coast. We named that "the dining room".

It's a great area, but no off-roading per say. Just dilapidated fire roads. It's an amazing drive, one minute through cedar forests, then next through exposed chaparral and shale mountain sides.

swankrt

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Swank
Member #

7714 said:
Popped up to Big Sur for 3 days. We found great campsites, either mountain or ocean views. We went for ocean…because we could! It was very easy to get to. The roads had been pretty corrugated and rutted, but because of “fire season” they currently have equipment working on the roads. I can easily provide turn by turn, but the trip began following Michael’s Big Sur trip. Once you’re high enough up onto the hillside, it’s camp anywhere as long as it’s near the road. We found ridiculous ridge top forever views. We rehabbed an old rock fire pit and found an ancient picnic table behind some trees that looked out over the coast. We named that “the dining room”. It’s a great area, but no off-roading per say. Just dilapidated fire roads. It’s an amazing drive, one minute through cedar forests, then next through exposed chaparral and shale mountain sides.
Dude beautiful!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
7714 said:
Popped up to Big Sur for 3 days. We found great campsites, either mountain or ocean views. We went for ocean…because we could!  
Robert! Really glad you made the trip and I hope it was easy enough to find. For others interested, here is a link to the Big Sur trip article:

[button color="orange" size="medium" link="http://overlandbound.com/overland-trip-big-sur-ca-overland-bound/" target="blank" ]Big Sur Trip[/button]

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@Ryan -I've traveled a ton...even there...and we were just in awe. We stumbled across the right spot. It's very accessible too. Super easy as soon as you leave HWY 1. I did heat my brakes up a ton on the way back down though!

@Michael Yeah, it was surprisingly easy. The map you posted takes you to an area where you can just cruise around and look for campsites. I would absolutely pop up in the dark like you did and not worry.

Here's the road off in the distance. We looped back towards the shore up on a ridge.

E

expeditionnorth

had the urge to do some exploring today

bad enough I broke my cardinal rule, never wheel alone, at the point I thought I was stuck my heart raced...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WO-qy2QyFA