Overland Trailers - Too Destination Restrictive?

• HTML tutorial

F150Fanatic

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Ezell
Member #

Hey folks! I'm strongly looking into an overland trailer. There are just a lot of things that make sense to me in how they're set up, portability, etc. But I'm curious for those that have them - do you feel restricted in the places you can pull it? We travel to Colorado and Utah several times a year, and there would be a few places (some Utah switchbacks in particular) that I just don't think I could pull a trailer. Do the pros outweigh the cons on this issue? Would love some feedback.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I just pulled the trigger on one and I don't think I am going to have any problems. We always have adventure trailers in our groups and they always seem to get out of the tight spots.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hey folks! I'm strongly looking into an overland trailer. There are just a lot of things that make sense to me in how they're set up, portability, etc. But I'm curious for those that have them - do you feel restricted in the places you can pull it? We travel to Colorado and Utah several times a year, and there would be a few places (some Utah switchbacks in particular) that I just don't think I could pull a trailer. Do the pros outweigh the cons on this issue? Would love some feedback.
It’s all about trade offs and personal choices. Looks like you drive a bigger rig and a lot of people would find that restrictive. But it looks like it works for you. I am building now so don’t have a lot of first hand knowledge, but have thought about it a lot. I know there will be trails we can’t do and will have to plan around that. Setup base camp and do day trips to harder trails, or leave the trailer at home and use the tent for a trip.

For us a RTT does not work. My wife doesn’t like ladders add to that half asleep in the middle of the night to pee, can add up to no fun for me. We need something to sleep in. So a teardrop should work for us. The trade off for us is a little Lottie longer and heavier than I would like. The plus side we can keep all our camp gear, cooking gear, camp specific clothes in the trailer. I want to be able at say on a Friday afternoon “let’s go camping” and all we need to do is grab some clothes, food and drink and hit the road in 30 minutes. We were in Colorado last year and couldn’t camp where we planed because of a bear attack a few weeks earlier. Only hard side camping was allowed. Another plus for the teardrop. We are not into rock crawling or looking for hard trails just because they are hard.

I think the two big problems with any trailer, teardrop or expo is switchbacks like you said and coming head on with another vehicle on a narrow trail and having to back up. I think we’ve all been there, I had close to 3/4 mile up hill. Not to bad but would not be fun with a trailer.

Curious to know why you would need a trailer? You already have more room with your truck that a lot of us can only dream of. Lol.

Hope this helps.

Todd

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
My rig is designed that it will not bind, no matter how tight I turn. The trailer can actually go more than 90 degrees to the vehicle, so if necessary, I can actually back up a bit, turning even tighter, without worrying about binding the tongue.

If perchance the inside tire has to ride up on a berm on the inside of the turn to the point where it is getting tippy, I can deflate the inside air bag and inflate the outside air bag and offset the axle vertical about 10 inches from one side to the other to compensate. Yes it would be a minor inconvenience but better than a flop.

If you are concerned with your trailer cutting the corner and hanging up, there is a quick and simple solution to help. You get a 24 inch extension that fits in our vehicle hitch receiver and extends your ball back that far. It isn't practical for normal wheeling but to get around a corner, you insert the extension and the trailer will take a wider track and you can turn way sharper without binding.

Last edited:

F150Fanatic

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Ezell
Member #

It’s all about trade offs and personal choices. Looks like you drive a bigger rig and a lot of people would find that restrictive. But it looks like it works for you. I am building now so don’t have a lot of first hand knowledge, but have thought about it a lot. I know there will be trails we can’t do and will have to plan around that. Setup base camp and do day trips to harder trails, or leave the trailer at home and use the tent for a trip.

For us a RTT does not work. My wife doesn’t like ladders add to that half asleep in the middle of the night to pee, can add up to no fun for me. We need something to sleep in. So a teardrop should work for us. The trade off for us is a little Lottie longer and heavier than I would like. The plus side we can keep all our camp gear, cooking gear, camp specific clothes in the trailer. I want to be able at say on a Friday afternoon “let’s go camping” and all we need to do is grab some clothes, food and drink and hit the road in 30 minutes. We were in Colorado last year and couldn’t camp where we planed because of a bear attack a few weeks earlier. Only hard side camping was allowed. Another plus for the teardrop. We are not into rock crawling or looking for hard trails just because they are hard.

I think the two big problems with any trailer, teardrop or expo is switchbacks like you said and coming head on with another vehicle on a narrow trail and having to back up. I think we’ve all been there, I had close to 3/4 mile up hill. Not to bad but would not be fun with a trailer.

Curious to know why you would need a trailer? You already have more room with your truck that a lot of us can only dream of. Lol.

Hope this helps.

Todd
Todd, awesome response! Yes, I've already encountered a few issues overlanding in a full size truck, but I need it as my daily driver, so I use what I have. Having said that, I'm not sure I'll have the truck forever. And my desire for the trailer is just like yours - everything self contained, ready to go at a moments notice, regardless of the pull vehicle. That just sounds appealing. I ain't getting younger, so easier is better. Plus, hoping to get the wife out a lot more as we'll be empty nesters within the next year. I think she'll like the comforts of a trailer better than the RTT on the truck. But there are some trails I'd love to take her on that I'd have to negotiate more carefully with a trailer.

Reactions: ThunderChicken

mikez

Rank I

Traveler I

OC
I t
I was worried about being restricted when I built mine. I would say the biggest restrictions are when climbing sand dunes and getting into big rocks. Turning around in the forest makes me nervous some times but it always works out! I keep adding to my trailer because I am using it way more than I expected! I would say go for it!

ThunderChicken

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lakeside, Arizona
Member #

I built one with an articulating hitch and 35 inch tires and it will go anywhere I drag it. I agree that sand hills or dunes can be tricky depending on tire size and vehicle power. I have broke the trailer axle on rock trails so obviously there are limitations. There are several types of trails that are difficult with a trailer. I think you just have to plan ahead and be ready to park the trailer if you want a particular trail. Tight switch backs on shelf roads could be very difficult. Single lane mountain shelf roads also.

On some trails, opposing traffic has to reverse to a pullout. I pulled my trailer once on a road like this...and made it...but too nerve racking to do it again. Reversing a trailer on a single lane shelf road with a 500 foot drop nearby is just not for me. Doable...sure.

More important is how do you secure your investment if you park it for a while to hit a trail. Locking hitches, wheel locks, chain through wheels, etc. Truth is though if a thief wants it... they'll figure a way to get it.

So plan ahead and know the trail. I have had plenty of anxiety on tight shelf trails and plenty of worry leaving it parked somewhere. Either way plan ahead and enjoy the benefits of an overland trailer.

IMG_20180320_103352670_BURST001-EFFECTS.jpegIMG_20181020_223122_962.jpeg

F150Fanatic

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Ezell
Member #

I t

I was worried about being restricted when I built mine. I would say the biggest restrictions are when climbing sand dunes and getting into big rocks. Turning around in the forest makes me nervous some times but it always works out! I keep adding to my trailer because I am using it way more than I expected! I would say go for it!
I built one with an articulating hitch and 35 inch tires and it will go anywhere I drag it. I agree that sand hills or dunes can be tricky depending on tire size and vehicle power. I have broke the trailer axle on rock trails so obviously there are limitations. There are several types of trails that are difficult with a trailer. I think you just have to plan ahead and be ready to park the trailer if you want a particular trail. Tight switch backs on shelf roads could be very difficult. Single lane mountain shelf roads also.

On some trails, opposing traffic has to reverse to a pullout. I pulled my trailer once on a road like this...and made it...but too nerve racking to do it again. Reversing a trailer on a single lane shelf road with a 500 foot drop nearby is just not for me. Doable...sure.

More important is how do you secure your investment if you park it for a while to hit a trail. Locking hitches, wheel locks, chain through wheels, etc. Truth is though if a thief wants it... they'll figure a way to get it.

So plan ahead and know the trail. I have had plenty of anxiety on tight shelf trails and plenty of worry leaving it parked somewhere. Either way plan ahead and enjoy the benefits of an overland trailer.

View attachment 73916View attachment 73917
Very good advice, and awesome pics! I'm totally with you on the single lane/shelf trails. I was white knuckled throughout the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands for fear of meeting another vehicle. Luckily we didn't. There a few trailers I'm eager to see at Overland East in a few weeks, but most appealing seems to be the BRX from Blue Ridge Expedition. Really nice buildout, everything self contained, seems strong and durable. It's a bit longer than many I've seen, but again, the goal is comfort and year-round use while still being able to pull it almost everywhere. Thanks for your feedback!!

F150Fanatic

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Ezell
Member #

Of interest next year, Alpine Trail in Colorado, Mohave Desert, and Escalante area of Utah. In searching, looks like most or all of those areas would be trailer friendly. Any insights would be appreciated if you've been to any of these spots! Thanks guys!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
After 10 years of dragging it along I don't consider my trailer to be a deterrent whatsoever. It weighs only 1,000 lbs fully loaded making it easy to maneuver it around any switchback. You will have zero problems with Mohave or The Grand Staircase. Be sure to air down your trailer tires. Many do not and it's very hard on suspensions. Heck, I've been running 22 lbs in mine for years, on and off highway without a problem. There is a graph somewhere that will give you a good baseline on the combination of tire size, weight and the PSI needed to support the load.

Backing up is no big deal. Once you get used to it you'll never look back, ( literally ) you'll just use your mirrors exclusively. I wouldn't suggest you learn to back up on any trails though. Go out to a vacant parking lot and practice, practice, practice. Sight side backing into a stall, Blindside backing into a stall, backing in a straight line, backing around curves, sight and blind side. Nothing is more embarrassing out on the trail than being "that guy" who cannot handle his/her rig, so practice and get good at it before you go out.

Here is a vid of me maneuvering our trailer around a switchback. However, the switchback is so tight that one must pull in / back up at each end of the ledge. The campsite is well worthy of my utilization of ingenuity, high-lift jack and raw brawn. :) LOL I wonder how many viewers know where this switchback is?

ThunderChicken

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lakeside, Arizona
Member #

Sound advice MOAK. Canyonlands is rad. Elephant hill is also a permit trail so there won't be as much traffic to worry about.

I definitely agree on the backing up with mirrors. A lot of these trailers are small that they can hide behind your rig. If you can't see the trailer you won't have fun when it gets tight. Mirror extensions, cameras, a flag on the trailer....whatever works.

Also 100% agree on the airing down MOAK. I got hasty recently and didn't air down the trailer. I noticed a lot more bouncing through rocks. I ended up breaking the axle housing, which made for some excitement. Now rebuilding a bit stronger.

IMG_20181020_223122_960.jpeg

Reactions: MOAK

F150Fanatic

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Ezell
Member #

After 10 years of dragging it along I don't consider my trailer to be a deterrent whatsoever. It weighs only 1,000 lbs fully loaded making it easy to maneuver it around any switchback. You will have zero problems with Mohave or The Grand Staircase. Be sure to air down your trailer tires. Many do not and it's very hard on suspensions. Heck, I've been running 22 lbs in mine for years, on and off highway without a problem. There is a graph somewhere that will give you a good baseline on the combination of tire size, weight and the PSI needed to support the load.

Backing up is no big deal. Once you get used to it you'll never look back, ( literally ) you'll just use your mirrors exclusively. I wouldn't suggest you learn to back up on any trails though. Go out to a vacant parking lot and practice, practice, practice. Sight side backing into a stall, Blindside backing into a stall, backing in a straight line, backing around curves, sight and blind side. Nothing is more embarrassing out on the trail than being "that guy" who cannot handle his/her rig, so practice and get good at it before you go out.

Here is a vid of me maneuvering our trailer around a switchback. However, the switchback is so tight that one must pull in / back up at each end of the ledge. The campsite is well worthy of my utilization of ingenuity, high-lift jack and raw brawn. :) LOL I wonder how many viewers know where this switchback is?

Moak, that video is priceless!! Such good advice here - I would have never known. That's the value of our community in action for sure. Appreciate y'all!

Reactions: MOAK and Kent R

mikez

Rank I

Traveler I

OC
Sound advice MOAK. Canyonlands is rad. Elephant hill is also a permit trail so there won't be as much traffic to worry about.

I definitely agree on the backing up with mirrors. A lot of these trailers are small that they can hide behind your rig. If you can't see the trailer you won't have fun when it gets tight. Mirror extensions, cameras, a flag on the trailer....whatever works.

Also 100% agree on the airing down MOAK. I got hasty recently and didn't air down the trailer. I noticed a lot more bouncing through rocks. I ended up breaking the axle housing, which made for some excitement. Now rebuilding a bit stronger.

View attachment 73932
sorry to get off topic but what was that axle rated for? what size tires are you running? I do not want that happening lol. ive got a 3500k axle and stock jk tires

ThunderChicken

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lakeside, Arizona
Member #

sorry to get off topic but what was that axle rated for? what size tires are you running? I do not want that happening lol. ive got a 3500k axle and stock jk tires
That axle was a junkyard special. Not sure of the rating but probably a 2000 pound axle. The housing broke right is it narrows down. I also am running 35 inch Wrangler MTRs. So I probably had it coming. I also was dragging it over rocks. That junkyard axle has lasted over 2500 miles, two trips to Monument Valley, Canyonlands, Sedona, and several other short adventures in Northeast Arizona.

My new axle is a 3500 pound axle so we'll see how that holds with the 35s.

I think you should be okay with the 3500 pound axle and stock wheel and tire configuration.

I was definitely pushing it with that junkyard axle. Live and learn I guess.

It's also helpful if you get access to some scales so you can weigh the trailer with it fully loaded. That way you know what kind of weight you're dealing with and you can learn what you really need to bring to try to reduce weight.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I too suffered a learning curve with axles. Initially my trailer had the stock 2,000 lb rated axle. With 255/85/16s mounted. I kept shattering the outside wheel bearings. After having to replace an entire axle alongside I-70 in Kansas I stepped up to the 3,500 lb Easy-lube Dexter axle. I have a mini grease gun mounted on the trailer and after every water crossing, I give each side a few squirts of grease. I highly recommend this axle as it has performed flawlessly for well over 20,000 miles of on and off road adventures..

I have always advised buying or building a trailer that is the same width as the tow vehicle thereby making it a whole lot easier to tow and to back up.

View attachment 73932

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

Very good advice, and awesome pics! I'm totally with you on the single lane/shelf trails. I was white knuckled throughout the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands for fear of meeting another vehicle. Luckily we didn't. There a few trailers I'm eager to see at Overland East in a few weeks, but most appealing seems to be the BRX from Blue Ridge Expedition. Really nice buildout, everything self contained, seems strong and durable. It's a bit longer than many I've seen, but again, the goal is comfort and year-round use while still being able to pull it almost everywhere. Thanks for your feedback!!
Stop by the campground and I will give you the full Hiker tour, just to share ideas. Build thread here: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/darksides-hiker-trailer-5x9-offroad-build.10464/

kootsfrontier

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have taken our trailer through a lot of the trails in Escalante. Loved that area. I agree with practice backing up thing. Practice lots and only use your mirrors, eventually it becomes second nature. Ironically I came across MOAK's video two weeks ago. We have been talking about camping our there next year and I was curious if trailers were allowed on the trail. Thanks for removing the anxiety.

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
I do both. I have a trailer that I pull with my Tacoma. Usually we will set up the trailer and then go do whatever we're going to do. If nothing else, it helps with my fuel mileage to leave the trailer somewhere. When we're done messing around we come back and the roof top tent is already set up so we can go straight to bed and we don't have to put it up in the dark.

I have all my camping stuff in one location (the trailer) for the most part so it makes packing much easier. I have a shower setup with hot water heater as well as a kitchen system to make cooking and cleaning much easier. Hook up and go (almost).

The other side of the coin is that I have an all pro of road rack for the Tacoma so I can put my tent and awning on it and just take the truck if the trip is one where I'll be doing a lot of driving and sleeping someplace different each night. Usually we just take the trailer though. It's hard to lock up all those plastic totes in the bed of the truck. The trailer has locks on each door so security is probably a little better with the trailer. I use two hitch locks when I leave it somewhere.

The bad part about a trailer is that you have too much room. In my case I fill it up with a bunch of crap I don't need like a shower system with hot water heater. :) With a trailer you also have something else to register, buy tires for, maintain, etc. I always worry about my hubs going out while I'm in the middle of no where even though i replace them and keep them greased. My mileage on the Tacoma also suffers when pulling the trailer. Basically I try not to limit myself to just one option. The picture below is our setup in Big Bend area of Texas.
20180723_095821-800x634.jpg

Henrik Martin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Greetings. I recently built an off-road trailer. I don't do any serious off-roading per se, but I wanted a trailer that I can put all my stuff on, that will hold the roof top tent, and that can follow anywhere my 4Runner can go. I repurposed an old steel frame utility trailer, and replaced the wheels/axle with a pair of 3,500 lbs (each) Timbren axle-less suspension, Dexter electric brakes, and 16" wheels with 32" tires. The trailer rides like a dream, empty or loaded, and I have 19" of clearance!!! Pros: tent isn't on the truck, I can bring a lot more stuff than I would if I just had the truck, I have more room in the truck, and once I get to my destination, I can unhook the trailer, lock it down (I use two massive Kryptonite chains), and go wherever I want with the truck. It's also easier to level than my truck. Cons: limited to 55mph on the road, harder to maneuver, easier to get stuck/bogged, worse gas mileage, makes the truck feel really sluggish on the uphills. I still love having it! I'm embarking on an ambitious project of building another one, all aluminum and fully loaded with pull-out kitchen, water heater, solar, batteries, fridge, etc. A poor man's version of the Patriot X1 is my goal :-)
Here's a link to the Timbren suspension that I bought: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Axles/Timbren/ASR35HDS02.html

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

I built my trailer a few years ago and it has given us hundreds of trouble free off-road miles. I equipped ours with swing axles to eliminate the chance of a solid axle hanging up on a rock and built a full swivel hitch. The only thing is can add, if you are climbing a soft sand hill and you don’t make it the trailer makes it impossible to back down.

IMG_1438.JPG