Overland Trailer - Lowe’s 3x5 Carry On - Kevin

• HTML tutorial

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

2 things happened today.

1) Took a test drive down the road and back, including over railroad tracks, and down a washboard dirt road with potholes about 6” deep.

2) Deployed the Tepui roof top tent on the trailer, so we could get an idea of how it would work out in the wild.

The potholed dirt road yielded two unexpected results:

1) The trailer pulled wonderfully, riding smooth, not making noise.

2) A bent fender mount, which happened because the suspension traveled too far, forcing the tire into the bracket (in one of the potholes no doubt).

Further measuring and troubleshooting revealed bent leaf springs.

*In an effort to soften the ride I remove 2 out of 3 leaf springs from the spring packs. Apparently my math was a little off, and the weight was too much for only one spring.

So, Monday/Tuesday I will install new leaf springs and retest.

James

Attachments

Reactions: Bowtied13

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

I have built a trailer very similar from scratch to carry pelican cases . When I first seen what you started with l thought oh no that frame.... all the way up until you plated the sides and welded the gate that will add a lot of strength Yeah that trailer frame may be rated at 1700 and some odd pound but you have to remind yourself that rating is for the street / smooth road Where we pull trailers what we pull trailers through and some times the speeds we do it on in improved roads drops that rating dramatically always overkill the axle it’s what will get the trailer and you home safely what kind of jack or support are you going to use to stabilize the trailer when set up not hooked to the truck just curious ?Do you know what it ways loaded it can’t be much ?Trailer looks very nice hope it serves you well

Ps don’t forget to protect the wiring fallen branches like to eat and keep wires

SFarrell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reservoir, North, Newport News, VA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
Perhaps a silly question, but I have no experience here: Do you have concerns about such a small trailer with narrow track and high load tipping over? What about with the tent deployed? Does the ladder provide sufficient support to keep the applied lateral force from tipping the trailer? I have 3/4" plywood walls and 1/2" floor in my 3.5x5LSHS, which brought its weight up to 480 lbs (with the lid). That makes the trailer more stable on the road and adds low weight. I've added a Yakima Outdoorsman 300 that puts the crossbars ~56" above the ground. I haven't carried anything up there yet. When I do, I'll be sure to load heavier stuff on the floor to help with CG. I'm just curious to know your experience. Thanks!

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Haven’t camped in it yet, but did climb up there yesterday. Seemed fine to me. It will be parked on level ground when camping, with leveling jacks front and rear.

The trailer tracked well behind our Montero while going 55mph, and seemed to do fine on a washboard dirt at 30mph.

I’ll let you know how it goes... We’ve actually been talking about going a different direction, so it could end up for sale eventually...

James