Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Cool little trailer.
I will echo some of the suggestions made above, youll want 2 eyed springs, and a heavier axle. Also if youre reaxling the trailer it might be worth it to look at brakes. Even with light weight, having brakes on it would be nice for steep off road descents...

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Did you see the posts above mentioning the switch to a bigger axle and double eye leaf springs?

The only reason I went to a bigger axle was to get the same bolt pattern as my Mitsubishi Montero. The trailer should weigh less than 1000 lbs, so a 2000 lb axle would have been fine. I’m only driving on washboard roads...

I definitely don’t want brakes because that’s more stuff to deal with and I wanted the trailer simple. No extra wiring, just a simple flat 4 connector, and no brake controller.

James

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I like it, but I just look at the frame and think it isn't rigid enough? Did you add extra bracing/support to the frame and tongue?

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Purchased double-eye leaf springs today to avoid what was mentioned above... the saga never ends apparently... in another few days the only thing left of the original trailer will be some angle iron...

James
why cut corner like some do. It always comes back & bite's ya. Doing it right the 1st time cost less in the long run. I wasn't counting my ground up build costing me close to $8,700. when finished, but the over all out come: super nice looking adventure trailer that I can go anywhere w\in reason & not worry about any issues because I didn't cut any corners that end up only to be half a$$ build. I wont have any issue selling this trailer come 2019 winter because of the quality of the build & electrical I done. You can build a nice affordable offroad trailer w\o dumping a whole lot of cash into just by replacing parts that seriously & realistically wont work or handle the riggers of offroading.

My new build is a square back teardrop (street version) which I'll pick up in Florida from the manufacture the 1st week of April & completely removing the tongue, all the suspension & rebuild (fabricating) a new entire longer & more rugged tongue, I'm going all out with Rancho leafs & shocks, longer hangers, weld-on shock kit on the stock original 3,500lb Dexter axle. This will be the starters. Glad to see you changing them gutless slip springs out. Photo's of my last build 2 yrs ago.
37256956_1747395858642614_1314036838960201728_n.jpg45767214_1924210364294495_1882812537561415680_n.jpg006.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: itsdchz

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

ArkansasDon: I’ve seen your build, fantastic attention to detail! The trailer looks great, and I admire your build quality.

I still think it’s funny that people think this trailer needs more bracing. When I bought it at Lowe’s it was rated for 1750lbs. I’ve completely removed the original tongue, upgraded it to 2.5” steel that is 1/4” thick, upgraded the leaf springs, upgraded the axle, removed the expanded sheet metal, and welded in solid sheet metal throughout...

The trailer is going to hold 1 roof top tent, 4 X-Bull traction mats, 2 small Road showers, 1 4’ plastic table, and 3 Plano cases with lightweight backpacking camping gear... I could just about carry all this stuff in a receiver mounted carry basket... why exactly does the trailer need to be stronger again?

James

Reactions: jenren81

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

my guess is that some who choose to use this type of trailer do not go to the lengths you have. I used a Harbor Freight Super Duty trailer frame (which I chopped up & modified using only 6 pieces) & fabricated a entire new tongue w\2" thick wall back bone. I trashed the original slipper springs & purchased Scott Chaney's 1,450 lb capacity smooth ride springs, hangers & weld-on shock kit. My chassis has over 10lbs of #30 welding wire alone in it. Haters will hate no matter what improvements you or I have done. Last year I saw some ones make shift slap together junkered adventure trailer broke down on a trail wide enough of my truck & a motorcycle. We the wife & I had to back up w\trailer 2 1\2 miles uphill when in all reality I wanted to take "Ol' Heavy" my truck & push this piece of junk off the edge.

That's the difference between us & those who slap things together, we replace the parts that wont work & will fail on the trails with parts that will work & give us a safe & enjoyable journey that wont put us or others in disadvantage for our or their adventure. Keep up the good work, fine job.

SFarrell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reservoir, North, Newport News, VA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
What is the "center" section for? I didn't spot it in your description. I'm referring to the section that appears to be about 10-12" from the top.

And I agree with the comments about the slippers coming out. One of mine slipped out, probably from heavy loads and oversized wheels over-working the springs. I didn't know it for a while, so, the rear spring retainer got pulverized and had to be cut out and replaced. I don't weld, so I had to get the trailer to someone who does:

I switched to a Dexter axle, but stuck with a 2200-pounder and still the slipper springs. I'm just more careful with my loads, but I can see how I may need to switch to double-eye someday. Someone in another forum suggested a set of limiting straps to keep the springs from overextending on rebound. I may try that, but no rush.

Take Care,

Scott

Bowtied13

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burton
James I am loving this build! I'm actually going to be starting on my own small trailer build this year. Similar plans for it but a different starting point. I also happen to live in Caldwell as well. I'd love to check out your trailer sometime!

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Nice! There is not much left from the original Lowe's trailer, so the question is...would you start from scratch next time?

BTW - I like the garage speaker set up.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

usually I don't pay much attention to Lowe trailer so-called builds, but when I saw all the original parts being removed & new parts replaced you actually James grab my attention. It was nice to see a build that went the way it did w\o short cuts. Very nice & I applaud you, outstanding. Your attention to detail especially on the fender size & clearance is spot on!

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Thank you Arkansas Don. Your compliments rank very high in my book.

I would start from scratch next time. I would have saved a LOT of time, and some money.

Thanks for the garage speaker setup acknowledement! That and the Yamaha receiver and sub were a $10 Craigslist find. Those and the 50” Samsung TV and AppleTV help me want to workout in the garage at night :)

James

Reactions: KonzaLander