Overland tools/spare stuff

• HTML tutorial
Z

Zander Abear

Hello all, looking to build up my 07’ GX470. I’m lookin to do some mild to hard trails, and I expect things to break. What tools do you guys carry? What spare parts do you guys carry also? I have a tendency to overpack, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I go around with a dewalt 200 piece tool set, and a Milwaukee mid torque impact. So far I don’t carry any spare parts, though I don’t do too hard of wheeling... yet. Love to hear about what people carry.

Z

Zander Abear

I wanted to add, every time I replace something on my vehicles, I make a chart of all the sizes tools needed and torque if required. Makes it easy to gather the tools needed before doing a repair.

Here is an example:

View attachment 190380
Alright, thanks for saying something. I found understand carrying a bunch of belts, wires, and all that sorts. I’ve seen and herd too many times people breaking cvs and tie rods, so I’ll for sure add some to the list. I’ll make sure I stack up on all belts, hoses, and maybe even start a list like you have.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
My truck has weak inner and outer tie rods, I made a tool roll with the needed tools and spare parts, this plus all the normal repair gear.

Reactions: DMS1

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Here is the thing, you are talking about an 07 GX470, if you are doing good PM at home and you aren't beating the snot out of it on the trail, what do you REALLY expect to break?
A week before a big trip I start looking over things....underside of belts, squeeze hoses and look under for wear.

I would look on ih8mud and see what the items for your mileage (you didn't mention) rig and service lift is is expected to break.
Rather than hoses carry some of the silicon repair tape, I have fixed split hoses with that.
Only you know what kind of conditions you will face and the breakage you will face.
Honestly I don't do near the trail repairs I used to because I have learned NOT to beat on my rig as much and to do more service at home before/after a trip.

Z

Zander Abear

Here is the thing, you are talking about an 07 GX470, if you are doing good PM at home and you aren't beating the snot out of it on the trail, what do you REALLY expect to break?
A week before a big trip I start looking over things....underside of belts, squeeze hoses and look under for wear.

I would look on ih8mud and see what the items for your mileage (you didn't mention) rig and service lift is is expected to break.
Rather than hoses carry some of the silicon repair tape, I have fixed split hoses with that.
Only you know what kind of conditions you will face and the breakage you will face.
Honestly I don't do near the trail repairs I used to because I have learned NOT to beat on my rig as much and to do more service at home before/after a trip.
Thanks for reaching out. I’ve got quite a good amount of miles on her, at 200k. I’ve bought the truck off my dad, knowing that he takes care of things, and doesn’t beat it up more or less than even take it offroad. I also know that he has done preventative maintenance on it, because I always helped him do the repairs. Next time I change the oil, I’m going to test the condition of the engine. I’m not very worried about the engine, because it is Toyota’s most reliable V8. Before I go on my next trip I do plan on replacing the hoses, replacing coolant, and replacing my coil packs.