Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brisbane, Queensland Australia
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Mac
Member #

I thought I would add my rig/s to this Qld region of Rigs...
Here's a bit of history of where I've come from to where I am now... I've always had Toyotas, doing a lot of my early years of exploring this country in my '84 Hilux Single Cab ute before moving on to a 60's Cruiser, followed by an 80's and then to a 105's Cruiser. It was around this time kids came along and things went quiet for a little before moving into a Prado 150 that served us well as a touring vehicle... until the kids became teenagers.
It was around this time that I started looking at a different 4WD, one that I could use as my mid-week exploring vehicle and then also as a family Tourer... Not sure how it happened but I went to look at an old '95 Defender 110 wagon... not planning on buying it I ended up taking it for a drive and quite enjoyed it... 2 weeks later it was sitting in my backyard where it sat for the next 2yrs with me wondering what I had done...
It got to the point where I decided to et the old Defender repaired up to the point where I could register it and then sell it, or so I thought at least... A fellow Landy owner one of the Landy forums saw my troubling posts and took me under his wing and helped me all the way in getting the old girl back on the road. Once registered and with me driving it a bit, I couldn't believe it - I fell in love with it and set about making it into our family tourer.
Well, we took it on our 1st family trip down to the Victorian High Country & towing our Campertrailer... The trip was awesome but not for the kids as the rear seating in the old girl was not real comfy for the 3 kids, so when we got home I started looking at a later model Defender as they had a better interior and seating and before I knew it I had my 2nd Defender 110 Wgn(2010 model). I couldn't get rid of the old one as it was old school - no electronics at all whereas the newer one had CRD engine and Traction control, etc. The plan was to have the old Defender as my daily driver and weekend &/or midweek exploring vehicle where I had converted to being able for me to sleep inside the back and keep the newer one as our family tourer. In 2019, we tested out the new Defender on its 1st outback trip - cross the Madigan Line from East to West, then return via the southern route via the French/Rig Roads. The vehicle went fantastically except for a dose of dirty fuel. So this is where we are as of now, with 2 LR Defenders and looking to sell our Prado 150. The kids are at the point that they no longer are able to travel with us, leaving the missus & I... and the Defenders :)

I've attached a few photos of my Defenders....

Attachments

RobMac

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brisbane, Queensland Australia
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Mac
Member #

Guys... I only just found this Australian post of Overland Rigs otherwise I would have posted my Overland Rig post here...(I couldn't remember where it was until I found it again) - Is there any way I can move my post in the Overland Rig area to this Aussie area or do I need to delete and repost??

Anyway,,, here's the link to my Overland Rig Post: History of My Past And Present Vehicles

it might make for some good reading if u are bored on this locked up COVID-19 weekend ;)

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Thanks - unfortunately mine hasn't been trouble free :frowning: :frowning:

First the Suction Control Valve went, then the fan in the aircon / heater unit (I haven't fixed this), then the transmission / coolant system went, then the front Dvr side wheel bearings, then the injectors, then the EGR pipe plus so much more :frowning::frowning: - all this despite being religiously serviced every 10 000 kms.

But I can't afford to sell it so I have to put up with it.

Karl