Drew
Last Name
Sherwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV50
Service Branch
Kern Valley SAR
20171028_141008262_iOS.jpg 20171029_141219640_iOS.jpg 20171029_141415806_iOS.jpg
This is my review on my experience with the Overland Pros Mojave Explorer 1400 RTT.

To start I want to say I am no expert but I think of myself as a well-informed consumer. I have owned my Overland Pros Mojave Explorer tent for about two months and I have spent 14 nights in it. These nights have had extremely varied conditions and temperatures. This tent and I have been through light snow with 15 degree temps too high gusty winds with 100+ degree temps. I slept like a baby every night and can happily say this is the perfect setup for both environments and anything in between. I am extremely happy with my purchase. I was introduced to this tent by the company owner himself here on Overland Bound. He reached out to me with his option when I was researching a number of far more expensive options. I made the decision to purchase after I reviewed his specification list and saw that it matched up tit for tat with every single option on the higher cost tents I was considering. As you probably know most RTTs all come from the same manufacturer and because of that they all come with very similar features with maybe one or two variation in each resellers spec. With this Overland Pros tent it seemed to me all of the right boxes had been checked during specification and that every decision had been made with the goal of making the tent an overall better piece of equipment. Someone who understands and knows our challenges in the field had gone through and selected each option as if he was building it for his own personal rig. It seem that no expense had been spared yet the tent cost was still nearly $800 less than other RTTs of similar spec and design. Let’s look at a few of those options and why I believe those specs were selected.

PROS-
280gsm poly cotton rip stop canvas: The main tent material is extremely important. You need to pick a blend or you will unhappy one way or another. Poly/Nylon will get you great waterproofing but terrible insulation. Cotton will get you great insulation but poor waterproofing and resistance to tearing. This PolyCotton Blend has been excellent for me. It sheds water well and was shockingly warm in the cold weather but cool in the heat thanks to excellent venting options. I have not yet had an uncomfortable night in this tent.

Double floor thickness: I climb all over this thing when packing it up each morning. Knowing that the base is stronger allows me to stand and hop around without worrying about cracking the base. It just feels sturdy as a tool like this should. The peace of mind that the base is thicker is great for me when standing on the folded tent already on the roof to get a good photo angle.

Thicker foam mattress pad: This one is easy. I slept like a baby on this mattress. An inch of thickness appears to be added in comparison to other tents.

All internal seams have heat tape: This is a really hard one to find. Think of this as an insurance plan against tears and leaks on seam lines. Heat tape is something I do to my own tents regardless of manufacturer and it was nice to find one that was already done.

All genuine YKK Zippers: You will spend more time then you can imagine working with these regardless of what tent you pick. These are a god send when tired and setting up camp or packing up before coffee in the morning. They are solid and just slide like they are greased.

Oversized external cover: Sounds like a silly afterthought until you leave three sleeping bags, flashlights, lanterns, clothes, and your toiletry bag inside the tent when folded. This thing can grow quickly and having the cove be slightly oversized doesn’t look the best but the function is amazing! I can still easily throw on the cover no matter how much junk I leave inside the tent.

Sky View roof windows: Even with the rain fly on this tent has plastic viewing ports so that even in the rain you can look up at the night sky.

Year Warranty: Most tents carry zero warranty at all. I use my gear like crazy and have not had any problems. That being said it is nice to know I am covered in case I have an issue.

Customer Service: The owner and I have been in text contact since my purchase and he was a huge help both during installation and whenever I had questions. Nick often replied to my messages as late as 9pm to respond to questions I had asked in a pinch. He has called and checked back in with me to make sure I got it setup properly. He also went above and beyond to make sure my tent pickup went smoothly. He allowed a weekend pickup from his own home despite the main shop being closed. This was a hardship on him personally but it made my life much easier. I can’t say that any other company’s wouldn’t do the same but I feel Overland Pros took the extra care of me as a customer. My customer service experience was nothing short of fantastic thanks to Nicks efforts.

All of the above said there is always room for improvement. Nothing is perfect and these are some issues that exist across all RTT’s on the market but became apparent only after using my tent. Some of these are changes I will be making myself in the near future for my own continued use.

CONS-
Guidelines are OD Green: This could be a problem that only I experience but I cannot even count the number of times myself or another fellow camper has tripped over or walked into the tent guidelines. I will be replacing these with reflective line ASAP to prevent this in the future. Bleary eyed me wandering back from the bathroom hates walking into these lines.

Instructions are not detailed enough: I like to think I am a smart guy. The included instructions left a lot of room for interpretation and as a result my first install and setup took a very long time. I must have installed the tent three times before finally getting it right.

Tent is heavy: All those upgraded parts come at a price. One cannot expect to double the support frame, mattress and base thickness without added weight. I have not weighed my tent but I consider this thing really heavy. Two strong people are absolutely needed to get it on and off of the roof and I feel the websites listed 124lbs seems like a low estimate for how hard it is to move around.

Overall I am EXTREMELY happy with the tent as a product and happy with Overland Pros as a re-seller. It has already served me well and I imagine it will continue to be a key item in my overland setup for years to come. The spec and price point for this RTT just can’t be beat. I am a very happy customer of Overland Pros and I will likely soon purchase awnings and other products from them as well.

If you have any direct questions about the product or would like to discuss any part of this review please message me or reply to the thread here so other can track the conversation.

Attachments

Hailex

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Great review! I love the specs you listed, some of that stuff I hadn't even thought about looking into before. This tent is definitely going on my list for research!

Reactions: Bandit

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Nice review and beautiful scenery. One thing i have done in the past for the guy lines is to loop them under the bottom of thr ladder. It keeps the annex taut without tripping over the lines since they are right under the tent. But if it is windy, you will want the lines secure in the ground. Looks awesome!

Bandit

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sherwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV50
Service Branch
Kern Valley SAR
Nice review and beautiful scenery. One thing i have done in the past for the guy lines is to loop them under the bottom of thr ladder. It keeps the annex taut without tripping over the lines since they are right under the tent. But if it is windy, you will want the lines secure in the ground. Looks awesome!
Good idea!! It was extremely windy during the night on this trip...still I will use your option in the future! Great Input.

Last edited:

GrnRubi

Rank 0

Traveler I

Montana
I know this is an old review but I was wondering what your long-term thoughts have been. I am having a tough time deciding between the Mojave and the Anza...

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Mojave has the larger annex and requires more setup with spring rods on the side windows (though u can roll them up). Depends on what your needs are. Anza is more wind resistant and has more air flow when open. Annex in Mojave has a floor and is fully enclosed while the annex for the Anza is smaller becuase there isnt an overhang and no floor which is good for privacy room but not sleeping. Mojave has skylights but Anza has 270 degree views front and back.

I had a similar style tent to Mojave from another manufacturer but never setup the annex in the field. Took too long and I didnt have space in the vehicle to store the annex easily. After a few years I sold it and have the Anza.

Bandit

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sherwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV50
Service Branch
Kern Valley SAR
I know this is an old review but I was wondering what your long-term thoughts have been. I am having a tough time deciding between the Mojave and the Anza...
As a long term Mojave owner I think it is great...however the Anza is different and more modern design. If I was to purchase again I would go with an Anza. Think of the Mojave as the proven older layout while the Anza is the new school setup. The best part of the OP tents I have found is the extra cover space so you can close it with gear inside. As long at either has this you can't really go wrong.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

View attachment 38542 View attachment 38543 View attachment 38544
This is my review on my experience with the Overland Pros Mojave Explorer 1400 RTT.

To start I want to say I am no expert but I think of myself as a well-informed consumer. I have owned my Overland Pros Mojave Explorer tent for about two months and I have spent 14 nights in it. These nights have had extremely varied conditions and temperatures. This tent and I have been through light snow with 15 degree temps too high gusty winds with 100+ degree temps. I slept like a baby every night and can happily say this is the perfect setup for both environments and anything in between. I am extremely happy with my purchase. I was introduced to this tent by the company owner himself here on Overland Bound. He reached out to me with his option when I was researching a number of far more expensive options. I made the decision to purchase after I reviewed his specification list and saw that it matched up tit for tat with every single option on the higher cost tents I was considering. As you probably know most RTTs all come from the same manufacturer and because of that they all come with very similar features with maybe one or two variation in each resellers spec. With this Overland Pros tent it seemed to me all of the right boxes had been checked during specification and that every decision had been made with the goal of making the tent an overall better piece of equipment. Someone who understands and knows our challenges in the field had gone through and selected each option as if he was building it for his own personal rig. It seem that no expense had been spared yet the tent cost was still nearly $800 less than other RTTs of similar spec and design. Let’s look at a few of those options and why I believe those specs were selected.

PROS-
280gsm poly cotton rip stop canvas: The main tent material is extremely important. You need to pick a blend or you will unhappy one way or another. Poly/Nylon will get you great waterproofing but terrible insulation. Cotton will get you great insulation but poor waterproofing and resistance to tearing. This PolyCotton Blend has been excellent for me. It sheds water well and was shockingly warm in the cold weather but cool in the heat thanks to excellent venting options. I have not yet had an uncomfortable night in this tent.

Double floor thickness: I climb all over this thing when packing it up each morning. Knowing that the base is stronger allows me to stand and hop around without worrying about cracking the base. It just feels sturdy as a tool like this should. The peace of mind that the base is thicker is great for me when standing on the folded tent already on the roof to get a good photo angle.

Thicker foam mattress pad: This one is easy. I slept like a baby on this mattress. An inch of thickness appears to be added in comparison to other tents.

All internal seams have heat tape: This is a really hard one to find. Think of this as an insurance plan against tears and leaks on seam lines. Heat tape is something I do to my own tents regardless of manufacturer and it was nice to find one that was already done.

All genuine YKK Zippers: You will spend more time then you can imagine working with these regardless of what tent you pick. These are a god send when tired and setting up camp or packing up before coffee in the morning. They are solid and just slide like they are greased.

Oversized external cover: Sounds like a silly afterthought until you leave three sleeping bags, flashlights, lanterns, clothes, and your toiletry bag inside the tent when folded. This thing can grow quickly and having the cove be slightly oversized doesn’t look the best but the function is amazing! I can still easily throw on the cover no matter how much junk I leave inside the tent.

Sky View roof windows: Even with the rain fly on this tent has plastic viewing ports so that even in the rain you can look up at the night sky.

Year Warranty: Most tents carry zero warranty at all. I use my gear like crazy and have not had any problems. That being said it is nice to know I am covered in case I have an issue.

Customer Service: The owner and I have been in text contact since my purchase and he was a huge help both during installation and whenever I had questions. Nick often replied to my messages as late as 9pm to respond to questions I had asked in a pinch. He has called and checked back in with me to make sure I got it setup properly. He also went above and beyond to make sure my tent pickup went smoothly. He allowed a weekend pickup from his own home despite the main shop being closed. This was a hardship on him personally but it made my life much easier. I can’t say that any other company’s wouldn’t do the same but I feel Overland Pros took the extra care of me as a customer. My customer service experience was nothing short of fantastic thanks to Nicks efforts.

All of the above said there is always room for improvement. Nothing is perfect and these are some issues that exist across all RTT’s on the market but became apparent only after using my tent. Some of these are changes I will be making myself in the near future for my own continued use.

CONS-
Guidelines are OD Green: This could be a problem that only I experience but I cannot even count the number of times myself or another fellow camper has tripped over or walked into the tent guidelines. I will be replacing these with reflective line ASAP to prevent this in the future. Bleary eyed me wandering back from the bathroom hates walking into these lines.

Instructions are not detailed enough: I like to think I am a smart guy. The included instructions left a lot of room for interpretation and as a result my first install and setup took a very long time. I must have installed the tent three times before finally getting it right.

Tent is heavy: All those upgraded parts come at a price. One cannot expect to double the support frame, mattress and base thickness without added weight. I have not weighed my tent but I consider this thing really heavy. Two strong people are absolutely needed to get it on and off of the roof and I feel the websites listed 124lbs seems like a low estimate for how hard it is to move around.

Overall I am EXTREMELY happy with the tent as a product and happy with Overland Pros as a re-seller. It has already served me well and I imagine it will continue to be a key item in my overland setup for years to come. The spec and price point for this RTT just can’t be beat. I am a very happy customer of Overland Pros and I will likely soon purchase awnings and other products from them as well.

If you have any direct questions about the product or would like to discuss any part of this review please message me or reply to the thread here so other can track the conversation.
Thank you for taking the time you write up such an informed and detailed review on this RTT, we have considered this company due to having seen their products mentioned on a couple different YouTube Channels. Definitely worth the read, once again thanks!

Nicholas Holley

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Phelan California
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Holley
Member #

So I know this is an older review but I just got the Mojave explorer, does anyone know what the long webbing straps attached to the poles on the inside of the tent are for? There is one on each pole to the farthest inside the tent.

Bandit

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sherwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV50
Service Branch
Kern Valley SAR
So I know this is an older review but I just got the Mojave explorer, does anyone know what the long webbing straps attached to the poles on the inside of the tent are for? There is one on each pole to the farthest inside the tent.
Happy to help!

Those help pull the tent tightly together for easy setup and tear down.

Personally, after like three trips I stopped bothering with them. Yes, the straps help but they are far from needed in my opinion. Your setup and tear down times wont change much just removing them.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
If you go to their website and look at pictures of the two you can see the difference pretty easily. On the Anza the ladder comes up on the outside of the annex on the edge of the tent. On the Mojave the ladder comes up on the inside of the annex and under the tent. Personally I would prefer the Mojave, if it was raining you could still get out of the tent without getting wet and you'll have a bigger annex area to hang out in when it's raining or for any other reason. Thanks for the review, I was looking at the Tuff Stuff tent for the price but I think this tent is a better option. So are there Overland Pros owners on this forum, if so who are they? Not ready yet to make a purchase just yet but might have some questions to ask.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Nicholas Holley

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Phelan California
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Holley
Member #

If you go to their website and look at pictures of the two you can see the difference pretty easily. On the Anza the ladder comes up on the outside of the annex on the edge of the tent. On the Mojave the ladder comes up on the inside of the annex and under the tent. Personally I would prefer the Mojave, if it was raining you could still get out of the tent without getting wet and you'll have a bigger annex area to hang out in when it's raining or for any other reason. Thanks for the review, I was looking at the Tuff Stuff tent for the price but I think this tent is a better option. So are there Overland Pros owners on this forum, if so who are they? Not ready yet to make a purchase just yet but might have some questions to ask.
I have an overland pros Mojave 1400 and I love it!!! Message me if you have any questions, i did a ton of research before pulling the trigger and I'm glad I did.

thor316c

Rank I

Contributor III

Lathrop, CA, USA
First Name
Pablo
Last Name
Barillas
Thanks for the great reviews! How good are the skylights? Can anyone take a photo of them?

Update: Found this great walkthrough video of the Mojave RTT posted by overlandpros themselves, answered my questions and then some! Hope it helps anyone curious about this tent:

Last edited:

Yroundrdn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Older thread but one I found while researching RTTs. We picked this up a few months ago but had a long wait on the bed bars. First trip this weekend. Had to hit a campground as the Cleveland NF closed off all dispersed camping. Apparently taxpayers are not allowed to use their land but that's for another thread.

The tent was amazing and worked perfect. Seeing the stars from the moon windows was awesome. The negative to these is they are NOT waterproof. I think they were originally when there was a plastic cover but not now with the screen. It comes with a cover that makes everything waterproof so you just need to put that up if it's gonna rain.

Very simple to set up and take down. We were able to get one sleeping bag inside but no pillows or anything else. Not sure how others get more in there. There is still room by the ladder for more stuff if needed though.

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

Reactions: Viking1204

HTXF150

Rank 0

Traveler I

Houston, TX
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Aguilar
Thanks for the review. I'm currently in the process of picking out a bed or roof rack and an RTT. Its really overwhelming the amount of choices.