Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Just curious if anyone brings a guitar along?
I am thinking of buying one soon and looking for ideas on make and model you use

Thanks, Bill

Reactions: Dilldog

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey Bill - I've had a guitar with me on a lot of my adventures and keep one in the van at all times now when wandering.

I still have my 1st guitar ever, an American-made Epihone acoustic, from back in the 50's before Gibson bought them. I got it in the 70s and have had ever since. Has a slender neck, Indian laurel fretboard, I think, with more of an inlay than usually seen, and great rich sound. I had a transducer put in it so I could plug it in.

I've traveled with it a lot, then long trip before last did not have it. I was in the Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee and with all the great music around there, really missed, so picked up a really decent used Yamaha at a pawn shop that could also be plugged in. Not quite as nice as my Epiphone, and I thought, well, it will be my traveling guitar. Truth is, I've never damaged or risked damage with either one, so will probably take the Epiphone next time; maybe even take both so I can keep the Yamaha in a different tuning.

Bought a nice little Fender amp, too, for doing small gigs.

Go to a decent music store or good pawn shop and try a few out as far as how they feel and sound. If you don't play already, try it standing and sitting, and sitting in different height chairs. You'll know when you find the right one. Ask the store clerk about what to look for as far as straight neck, action, etc.

I wouldn't be afraid of taking a decent guitar on the road, if wondering. Get a decent hardshell case and keep the guitar in it's case when not using it. Don't leave the case out in the sun, or visible through car windows where it might be too tempting.

Good luck man...nothing quite like sitting around outside, whether by yourself or with others around a fire, and playing music.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay healthy!

Reactions: Old Griz

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have a travellers guitar but it is not the easiest thing to play. There are a few guitars with a full body but fold at the neck and are better for serious playing. I would find a smaller body guitar and go with that. I bring a full sized acoustic sometimes.

Reactions: Old Griz

Cabin Fever

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Taylor GS Mini. Smaller sized, sounds good enough to gig on. I have tried some of the smaller Martin backpacker and such. This works best for me. If you are just starting and looking to save space, a Uke might be something to think about. Plus they are inexpensive.

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
I always bring my Air Guitar. Doesn't take up much room and sounds just as good as I want it to.:innocent:

Reactions: DIYTaco15

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I had a Taylor Baby for a couple years, it was ok but if you ever played with another guitar it sounded awful in comparison.
I traded it on a G&L "tele" and found a blem Yamaha at GC for $100 I got a gig bag and that's what I now bring.
With good strings, it sounds awesome, and I don't worry about it as I would with my "good" guitars
In my experience , the travel size guitars sound terrible

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

yeah, they are small and easy to tote. my wife just got one and has been assaulting my ears trying to learn it during the quarantine....now i hear its going on trips with us :expressionless:
I've always maintained a 1 room closed door distance from my wife as I practice... :laughing:

Trbanks

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spring Hill, FL
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Banks
Member #

“Air guitar”. AWESOME! Personally, I’m a world renowned steering wheel guitarist. My wife often accompanies me on the dashboard piano. We make a great band and our cover tunes sound just like the song on the radio. Well, except for the singing.