Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Eugenio
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

Hello all

I am just getting into overlanding, just became a member recently. I am also a new Florida resident.

I am setting up my rig and I wanted to ask if anybody has had any experience in the FL area and knew of any easy beginner trips that you could point me to so I can start planning my first Overland Florida trip.

Any suggestions/help/recommendations will be met with great appreciation!

Regards,

E

Reactions: Overland_Serenity

Overland_Serenity

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg Florida
Member #

Hey I am also in florida. I actually am going to do some exploring out in Osceola National Forest this weekend. I don't know where you are located but if you want you are welcome to come. Always love to meet new like minded people. Also I have found the best way to learn how to plan for a trip is to do a trip. It's not an adventure till something goes wrong anyway...

EuMen77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Eugenio
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

Hey I am also in florida. I actually am going to do some exploring out in Osceola National Forest this weekend. I don't know where you are located but if you want you are welcome to come. Always love to meet new like minded people. Also I have found the best way to learn how to plan for a trip is to do a trip. It's not an adventure till something goes wrong anyway...
Hehe I agree 100%

I am in Miami but I still havent receive my Jeep. Its going to be a while until I have it ready. Im just trying to prepare for when it does come. I would love to come with you on that trip but not going to be able to just now.

However, as soon as I can I hope we can coordinate something. Thanks for the invite :smiley:

EuMen77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Eugenio
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

Hehe I agree 100%

I am in Miami but I still havent receive my Jeep. Its going to be a while until I have it ready. Im just trying to prepare for when it does come. I would love to come with you on that trip but not going to be able to just now.

However, as soon as I can I hope we can coordinate something. Thanks for the invite :smiley:

Overland_Serenity

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg Florida
Member #

No problem man. Try not to worry so much about getting ready and just do it. You can loose so much valuable time just trying to get where you want, do it, and learn what you really need. Any time man, I go out as much as possible, so just let me know

EuMen77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Eugenio
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

No problem man. Try not to worry so much about getting ready and just do it. You can loose so much valuable time just trying to get where you want, do it, and learn what you really need. Any time man, I go out as much as possible, so just let me know
Awesome, will do! Thx

The thing is I ordered a Jeep (because there are no 2 door m/t in florida) and it still hasnt arrived, so once it arrives (soon i bope) I need to get some bare essentials on it/for it and then, like you suggest and i agree, just go out and learn on the go.

I will keep you posted on the jeep and preparations until i can join you for sure

Thanks again [emoji41]

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

I'm in Miami as well, welcome to the community. My first trip in my new rig was last year to the ONF. Went out with my stock truck on street tires and basic camping gear. As stated above go out and explore and then figure out what you need. Saves a lot of money and time that way.

EuMen77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Eugenio
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

I'm in Miami as well, welcome to the community. My first trip in my new rig was last year to the ONF. Went out with my stock truck on street tires and basic camping gear. As stated above go out and explore and then figure out what you need. Saves a lot of money and time that way.
Cool, thanks for the welcome!

I am so digging this community, still listening to all the podcasts and videos

I am definitely going to change my plan, i was thinking of getting a bunch of stuff for my ride off the bat but now im just gonna start going out and building upon necesity more than arbitrary building it up.

Thank you both for the recommendation, i so totally agree with it!

EuMen77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Eugenio
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

The eagle has landed!
IMG_2417.jpgIMG_2418.jpg

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

REI is having there big summer sale if you want to grab some basics like a sleeping bag, chair, etc.

That color blue is sharp!

Reactions: EuMen77

EuMen77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Eugenio
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

REI is having there big summer sale if you want to grab some basics like a sleeping bag, chair, etc.

That color blue is sharp!
Sweet, im definitely going to check out that sale!

Yeah im really happy w the color, also its not a common color here in miami.

Cheers

EuMen77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Eugenio
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

Right, now chuck a cooler and a tent in the back and get to it!
Great looking JL! Now go use it!
Cant wait to do so! Just working on the when and where because I have the how -- Oh and what a how!

I'm planning on going to a friends property on the FL west coast, might be weekend after Memorial or the one after that. Already gearing up on essentials like shelter, provisions, and the works. Haven't been camping in a while, little bit rusty. I want to get a few trips under my belt before I take the kids so I gear-up accordingly -- materially but especially mentally hehehe

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all

OH and by the way, today I got my first Jeep Wave :tonguewink: I didn't think much of it before (I did) but I gotta say I felt it :blush: and then 45 seconds after I got my second one! Felt like I was on a roll.

Had my 5 yr old with me and I was trying to explain what had just happened, so now he's looking out for jeeps to give'em the wave hehehe

Got him on the right track as far as that goes :sunglasses: and I'm certain his younger brother will follow as all younger brothers do -- for a time at least

Sorry for the rant, but I had to share this and not many ppl in my circle who would appreciate the significance and would probably look at me like my wife did when I did tell her hahahaha :tearsofjoy:

Overland_Serenity

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg Florida
Member #

Cant wait to do so! Just working on the when and where because I have the how -- Oh and what a how!

I'm planning on going to a friends property on the FL west coast, might be weekend after Memorial or the one after that. Already gearing up on essentials like shelter, provisions, and the works. Haven't been camping in a while, little bit rusty. I want to get a few trips under my belt before I take the kids so I gear-up accordingly -- materially but especially mentally hehehe

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all

OH and by the way, today I got my first Jeep Wave :tonguewink: I didn't think much of it before (I did) but I gotta say I felt it :blush: and then 45 seconds after I got my second one! Felt like I was on a roll.

Had my 5 yr old with me and I was trying to explain what had just happened, so now he's looking out for jeeps to give'em the wave hehehe

Got him on the right track as far as that goes :sunglasses: and I'm certain his younger brother will follow as all younger brothers do -- for a time at least

Sorry for the rant, but I had to share this and not many ppl in my circle who would appreciate the significance and would probably look at me like my wife did when I did tell her hahahaha :tearsofjoy:
That's awesome. Where abouts are you hailing from. I have a pretty sweet list if spots in ONF if you ever want to head out...

Reactions: EuMen77

EuMen77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Eugenio
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

That's awesome. Where abouts are you hailing from. I have a pretty sweet list if spots in ONF if you ever want to head out...
South miami, but i go to Ocala occasionally as my in-laws have a place in Morriston.

Yeah, that would be awesome, i’ll hit you up the next time I plan to head north. I’ve heard ONF is great, never been, definitely on my short list of where to go overlanding.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

MY folks live in Venice, FL and I spend quite a bit of time in that area.... usually in a rental car or my Tundra though. Im always looking out for OB members to meet when I travel. SO if you are ever on the SW side of Florida, let me know.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
None of these coordinates are actual, just damn close by memory, looking at a Delorme map.

Work would get me a hotel 1.5 hours from the jobsite in the panhandle. I used tojust camp out on the ocean beach instead.Was a spot of spread out woods that trucks fit through, nobodys ever there. Off road. My Delorme map says it might be Fort Rucker Rec area. I might be wrong but it somewhere over there. Maybe 30.47590, -86.31086. Boondockin, kinda. No campground there. But slept there often. Dolphins in the morning. They are scary, not friendly.

Venice Beach parking spot. 27.04852, -82.43759. Hike south from hear. It's a little island with no hotels, because Indian burial ground. Giant Freindly gopher tortoises will be up when the sun comes up and gets hot. 100% chance of seeing them. Bring some clover flours. They dig tunnels in the mounds. Mound is marked by a do not disturb sign.

Loop road. Enter near white abandoned shack around 25.8375, -81.1012 head south. Giant friendly alligators by river swamp that the road crosses. Giant alligator gars floating near the serface. If you take the entire loop road, you'll bypass the park welcome center on 41. Double back and take the section of 41 that loop road bypasses.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Flamingo. Farthest main body FL point on map. Nobody goes here. Empty swampland picnic area. some people kayak here. I had to repair the POS repeater cell tower there, and on loop road, 787 times in the dead of summer. Rescued a bunch of idiot soft shell turtles there. A few little alligators. Just neat being in complete isolation at the emptiest state park in the us. 25.13820, 80.91129.

Whatever this forest south of Tally is. 30.2753, -84.4960. Dirt park roads, hiking, dirtbike trails, logging roads. Hardcore serious yee haws. Go in there unarmed is ill advised.

Dry Tortugas. Fort Jackson. 24.5660; -82.1078. Ditch your broken land rover at the KeyWest koa. Taxi to the ferry. Get permit to stay night on the island. 2 ferry rides in one day = puking. Hike in, Stay the night. Don't worry about shower, that's what the ocean is for. Mild, not too salty. Bring fins, mask, snorkel. Snorkel around the whole fort. Counterclockwise from the ferry landing is a swim area beach spot. Everytime I've been there, there's a freimdly barracuda in the shallows, and in 8' of water there's a brown stingray sleeping under sand. Hover over him, and he'll rise out and swim away. At least 8' across without tail. Biggest sting ray I've ever seen. Spotted him there on 3 different trips. Abondoned dock has the most fish.

There's a cool Air Force musuam near Eglin Air Force Property.

Best hiking in all of Florida is the section of the Florida trail that goes completely through the Eglin AF property. Check with park ranger when hiking is gtg and no bombing practice. We left truck at hotel on the west side, hike 30 miles-ish from the east side. Taxi dropped us off. 3 nights. Fresh water streams everywhere. Pack only 1 L water, ultralite.

Last edited: