Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Looking to set up a travel group from the Sacramento and SF Bay areas to travel to OE West 2021 in September.
Want to go from the Sacramento area to Flagstaff, AZ with one over night stop.

Will anyone be heading that way this year?

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
I am planning to go this year, I am in the South Bay and was planning to drive out starting Sept 22
John, That is my planned departure date as well.

Have been thinking about an over night spot in the Mojave NPres.

rdrjohn

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Newark, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hastings
Member #

John, That is my planned departure date as well.

Have been thinking about an over night spot in the Mojave NPres.
that is what I am debating, whether to drive straight through (~ 12 hrs) or stop part way and finish the drive on Thursday, I plan on camping at the Expo so trying to see what time camping check in is

Reactions: CTO1Mike

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
that is what I am debating, whether to drive straight through (~ 12 hrs) or stop part way and finish the drive on Thursday, I plan on camping at the Expo so trying to see what time camping check in is
Check in starts on Thursday. By the time we reach Ft Tuthill from Mojave, we should be able to check in. I too am camping there the whole weekend.
I am breaking Camp on Monday morning and starting a Southern Arizona road trip. First stop is Tuzigoot NM.

Reactions: AlexAtWagan

TheViking

Rank III

Member I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Nielsen
Member #

Interested. Definitively going. Headed out from South Bay..

It overlaps with Wasteland so maybe ill be leaving from Mojave.

Last edited:

PeteCole

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Carmichael, CA, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Cole
Member #

Bought my ticket, planning on leaving Sacramento Wednesday morning. Haven’t decided if I’m going to make the whole 11 hour drive or stop somewhere on the way.

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Hello all. Thanks for checking in on the thread. Rally point coming up this weekend.

Planning on departing Wednesday morning, an overnight camp in Mojave, then arrive at OE West on Thursday.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Just to provide options.

I went in 2014 on my motorcycle(can't do the long daily mileages) from Santa Cruz and went over 108 and camped just East of Mono Lake off Hwy 167, Then thru Tonopah to just South of Caliente and camped at Kershaw-Ryan State Park. Next day I went thru Enterprise, St George, stopping at Walmart in Page for the night, and down to Mormon Lake.
It was nice to not be on the heavily used highways and out in the country, K-R SP was the nicest SP I've ever been in. I got to see that corner of Utah with so much history behind it.
After the Expo I went South and camped by Sedona and while I was at Tuzigoot(pronounced Tuzihoot) A fire sprung up and I was evacuated from my camp, meaning I couldn't get back....

If you ever get the chance Hwy 191 is not to be missed.

My blog on the trip; Overland Expo 2014

DSC00256.JPGDSC00284.JPGDSC00302.JPGDSC00322.JPGDSC00392.JPGDSC00401.JPG

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
@genocache Thank you for the great pics! My original plan was to go over to Carson City, fuel my F250, then head south on Hwy 395.
But I figured that I-5 would pick up more travel company.

After OE West I am headed south with plans to hit all the National Park Service units in Arizona below the I-40.
Returning through Joshua Tree and Pinnicles Nat Parks.

Thank you for the route advice!

PeteCole

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Carmichael, CA, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Cole
Member #

My brother and I had the same plan, to arrive Thursday and get good camping spots. We were planning on finding a spot east of Mojave for Wednesday, but aren’t opposed to going into Mojave instead possibly. How far into Mojave do you want to go? My brothers driving a 96 Land Cruiser and drinks glass so we wanted to be mindful of fuel.

Last edited:

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
My brother and I had the same plan, to arrive Thursday and get good camping spots. We were planning on finding a spot east of Mojave for Wednesday, but aren’t opposed to going into Mojave instead possibly. How far into Mojave do you want to go? My brothers driving a 96 Land Cruiser and drinks glass so we wanted to be mindful of fuel.
I have the campsite in Mojave marked on the rally point. It is not far off the Kel-Baker road. Next morning planning to drop down to Kelso, then head east to Bullhead city for fuel.