Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
This is my first time attending one of these. I am not sure what package I should be buying. I want to stay the entire time in my Jeep but I'm not sure I want to do all the classes. Will I be able to change my mind and pay for additional items once I am there or do I have to make my mind up right now? Any suggestions?
We’ll see you there! We bought the experience package simply because it looked like it affords you more for your money and I want to get everything I can out of it.

Reactions: Cendee

Desert Rider

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Albuquerque
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Mignardot
Heading to Expo from Albuquerque, perhaps with one other rig. Will be staying with the Four Wheel Campers group at the site.

Plan to leave early Friday morning (~6 am) , and then come back Sunday evening. This will be my 3rd Expo.

cA12Lo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Edwards, California
Member #

For those of you who are Military or Retired Military and want to camp 15 minutes away from the crowd at the Expo contact me and I will check into getting us an area for $5.00 per night on base. I can make the reservations in April when they open up - currently closed during the winter months.
Active Duty military here and would like to know the location of the campsite. I contacted Ft Tuthill a couple of weeks ago and they're all full for the weekend. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!

desertpir8

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7NVF
on stand by to get tix in the am, let me know if anyone plans on heading up thurs from the mesa/ phoenix area!
Just ordered weekend pass w/ camping here. First time attending, so not sure what to expect up there. Will be heading up there in my 4x4 E-350 EB overland rig from northeast Mesa on Thursday afternoon most likely. Lemme know if you want to convoy up there. 20190218_095733.jpg

Sunkist Taco

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Bruno ca, usa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
kj6mmh
I will be attending the expo for the first time. I will be Camping/Mountian biking the week before in Moab. (open invite for those who like to ride)
Does Overland Bound have any sort of presence at the expo? I feel like an event like this would go well with OB just like peas and carrots.
I will be attending the expo with 2 other rigs, a Jeep, and another Tacoma. We are excited to meet others out there and share our experiences around the "campfire".

Reactions: HeliSniper

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I will be attending the expo for the first time. I will be Camping/Mountian biking the week before in Moab. (open invite for those who like to ride)
Does Overland Bound have any sort of presence at the expo? I feel like an event like this would go well with OB just like peas and carrots.
I will be attending the expo with 2 other rigs, a Jeep, and another Tacoma. We are excited to meet others out there and share our experiences around the "campfire".
This sound cool, if there is not anything already planned, plan it and we will come!!

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Yep! I believe we'll have a booth there again this year as in years past. We also tried to have an Overland Bound area in the on-site camping last year which worked out pretty great.

You'll have a blast, it's a really fun event, lots of great people to share ideas with, and lots of amazing rigs to drool over

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

For those of you who are Military or Retired Military and want to camp 15 minutes away from the crowd at the Expo contact me and I will check into getting us an area for $5.00 per night on base. I can make the reservations in April when they open up - currently closed during the winter months.
I'm retired Navy. My wife and I are still deciding if we are coming out for this. What base is in the area? Do you know what "day pass" parking is like? Thanks

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
This is my first time attending one of these. I am not sure what package I should be buying. I want to stay the entire time in my Jeep but I'm not sure I want to do all the classes. Will I be able to change my mind and pay for additional items once I am there or do I have to make my mind up right now? Any suggestions?
Typically if you want to do the classes you would go with the Experience package which usually sells out before the event. As mentioned previously, it's under new management so not sure what changes are in store for this year. It looks like the Experience package (vehicle) is sold out and in wait list mode already. I don't remember being able to add classes at the event in years past. We've done the weekend camping pass the last couple times (no classes) and spent all 3 days walking around the show and still didn't see everything. Just the camping area alone is an amazing site to see, so many different rigs and styles of camping and we've made new friends every time. We'll see you out there!

AZPAJERO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale
Member #

I think the EXPERIENCE package is the way to go because that's the only way to get a "good" camping spot. I went with wife and kids two years ago and camped where the red dot is which is what they called "dispersed" camping area, and the blue circle is where all the "cool stuff" is and is where you'll spend most of the day. It was brutal walking back n forth with the kids and strollers and whatnot. If its just you and/or significant other it's doable. But if you're going to be lugging stuff back n' forth its pretty miserable.

I'm guessing the "EXPERIENCE" package is only way to get camping spot RIGHT next to where the action is at. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Rexx

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

East Mesa, AZ
Member #

Just ordered weekend pass w/ camping here. First time attending, so not sure what to expect up there. Will be heading up there in my 4x4 E-350 EB overland rig from northeast Mesa on Thursday afternoon most likely. Lemme know if you want to convoy up there. View attachment 88010
We got the same pass, headed thurs afternoon in my f-250 with our sun lite camper. where about northeast, im at brown and ellsworth, keep in touch, im all for a convoy up

Reactions: desertpir8

desertpir8

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7NVF
We got the same pass, headed thurs afternoon in my f-250 with our sun lite camper. where about northeast, im at brown and ellsworth, keep in touch, im all for a convoy up
I'm at power & mckellips. I'll also be headed up Thursday afternoon to get an extra night of camping in that night. Would love to convoy with you.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Just ordered weekend pass w/ camping here. First time attending, so not sure what to expect up there. Will be heading up there in my 4x4 E-350 EB overland rig from northeast Mesa on Thursday afternoon most likely. Lemme know if you want to convoy up there. View attachment 88010
You want to get up-there 1:ish, there will be a long line of vehicles trying to get into the Camp-grounds, which is a ZOO, I mean Organized Chaos... It's an easy walk from the Campground up to the main Event area. Bikes make it easier to get there, but finding places to lock-them up not so much. When we go up Next Year (2020), we'll take a larger Cable, so we can lock them to a Tree. Take plenty of Bottled Water. Despite several bottles each, that "Dry Heat" just sucked the moisture out of us. Really decent Food Vendors. There is too much to see, and events to Hear. We planned last year and still missed a couple talks we wanted to be at... DG

Reactions: Rexx

Rexx

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

East Mesa, AZ
Member #

You want to get up-there 1:ish, there will be a long line of vehicles trying to get into the Camp-grounds, which is a ZOO, I mean Organized Chaos... It's an easy walk from the Campground up to the main Event area. Bikes make it easier to get there, but finding places to lock-them up not so much. When we go up Next Year (2020), we'll take a larger Cable, so we can lock them to a Tree. Take plenty of Bottled Water. Despite several bottles each, that "Dry Heat" just sucked the moisture out of us. Really decent Food Vendors. There is too much to see, and events to Hear. We planned last year and still missed a couple talks we wanted to be at... DG
last year we didnt make it till fri am, wasnt too bad getting in. thanks for the heads up

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Wise words all! I'm hoping the check in for Weekend Pass with Camping will be better this year with the new event owners, that was a good hour and half of crawling along in the line to get into the dispersed camping and then it was a bit of a free for all finding spots. We are thinking about bringing bicycles this year to cut down on the walk back an forth, great note on the long cable for locking them to a tree.

It should also be noted there are shuttles running back and forth from the campground area which are handy for hauling back your expo loot!

desertpir8

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7NVF
Wise words all! I'm hoping the check in for Weekend Pass with Camping will be better this year with the new event owners, that was a good hour and half of crawling along in the line to get into the dispersed camping and then it was a bit of a free for all finding spots. We are thinking about bringing bicycles this year to cut down on the walk back an forth, great note on the long cable for locking them to a tree.

It should also be noted there are shuttles running back and forth from the campground area which are handy for hauling back your expo loot!
I figure worst case if I head up on Thursday afternoon and the line is ridiculous, I'll make camp somewhere nearby and plan on rolling into dispersed camp area at my leisure on Friday morning. With my rig I just need a place to park and camp is set up.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I figure worst case if I head up on Thursday afternoon and the line is ridiculous, I'll make camp somewhere nearby and plan on rolling into dispersed camp area at my leisure on Friday morning. With my rig I just need a place to park and camp is set up.
Sounds like a plan! We were trying to camp in a group with folks we convoyed in with from LA and that went out the window pretty quickly as we all got split up in the line. The year before was so much easier, show up anytime after noon on Thursday and drive right into the camp and check in afterwards. There were a lot more people last year and I imagine this year will be even more so but hopefully the check in process will be easier with the new event planners.