Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Update to my post from 12/17 in case there may be interest from someone who might be thinking along the same lines as me. I had some time over the weekend to come up with a lightly detailed plan for our trip. Specifically the week and a half after Expo. I figure why drive half way across the country only to turn around and come back home after just a long weekend? I lived in Wyoming for 10 years and DEARLY miss the wide open spaces out West, so I'm going to take my time and enjoy it while we're there...:smiley:

Anyway, we're planning (as of now) to go from Flagstaff to Grand Canyon (4 days/2 on each rim) then 2 days/3 nights each at Monument Valley, Canyonlands and Arches before heading home. Since we're going to be in the area anyway, I'm GOING to find some time to fit in AT LEAST one day playing around Moab, so suggestions on must-do trail runs in a mostly stock 4Runner Trail Edition that could fill in a day or so are much appreciated. It's a daily driver, so I don't want to beat it up too much if I can help it.

Deviations or suggestions for must see places are welcome. What I've come up with so far is only a 1st draft and subject to change in the next 2 months. Around mid-February though, I'm going to start making reservations at campgrounds that require or strongly suggest them along our route in order to minimize the need to hunt for last minute places to set up camp and/or rest and explore. Ultimately, I'm trying to go no more than three days without relatively easy access to developed CG/areas for fuel, hygiene or supplies, if needed.

Is it May yet???

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Update to my post from 12/17 in case there may be interest from someone who might be thinking along the same lines as me. I had some time over the weekend to come up with a lightly detailed plan for our trip. Specifically the week and a half after Expo. I figure why drive half way across the country only to turn around and come back home after just a long weekend? I lived in Wyoming for 10 years and DEARLY miss the wide open spaces out West, so I'm going to take my time and enjoy it while we're there...:smiley:

Anyway, we're planning (as of now) to go from Flagstaff to Grand Canyon (4 days/2 on each rim) then 2 days/3 nights each at Monument Valley, Canyonlands and Arches before heading home. Since we're going to be in the area anyway, I'm GOING to find some time to fit in AT LEAST one day playing around Moab, so suggestions on must-do trail runs in a mostly stock 4Runner Trail Edition that could fill in a day or so are much appreciated. It's a daily driver, so I don't want to beat it up too much if I can help it.

Deviations or suggestions for must see places are welcome. What I've come up with so far is only a 1st draft and subject to change in the next 2 months. Around mid-February though, I'm going to start making reservations at campgrounds that require or strongly suggest them along our route in order to minimize the need to hunt for last minute places to set up camp and/or rest and explore. Ultimately, I'm trying to go no more than three days without relatively easy access to developed CG/areas for fuel, hygiene or supplies, if needed.

Is it May yet???
White rim trail is fun but should be done over several days to see everything

Reactions: ru108

Jeff & Heather

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

La Verne, CA, USA
Member #

We purchased the vehicle, and passenger tickets because we’re interested in taking as many classes as we can. They do offer a non-class day pass for less, I believe. The camp reservations were a separate charge as well.

Reactions: Pindal

KF5UZW MARK PILKILTON

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Sherman, TX
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Pilkilton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UZW
What is your schedule? I’m open to when I am leaving downtown Dallas.
I do not have a schedule yet, depends on every body schedule, trying to get head count so we can caravan to west.
Maybe a good rally point would be Wichita Falls for every body leaving Texas and Louisiana. Then we could meet other in Amarillo for folks coming down interstate 40. If you don't have your ham license, get yours so we can chat on 146.46 .
Last year I stayed Thursday night at the KOA camp grounds.

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

This is going to be my first Expo. Should I get the "Experience" package, or just go and take the whole thing in? If I do go for the experience package, how many classes can you fit in during the weekend?

Reactions: Magic Mike

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
This is going to be my first Expo. Should I get the "Experience" package, or just go and take the whole thing in? If I do go for the experience package, how many classes can you fit in during the weekend?
This is our first trip as well. We decided on the full experience. When I looked at the classes I noticed that most of the good classes were in the full experience.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I do not have a schedule yet, depends on every body schedule, trying to get head count so we can caravan to west.
Maybe a good rally point would be Wichita Falls for every body leaving Texas and Louisiana. Then we could meet other in Amarillo for folks coming down interstate 40. If you don't have your ham license, get yours so we can chat on 146.46 .
Last year I stayed Thursday night at the KOA camp grounds.
Wichita Falls sounds like a good place to meet. Let me know when your details fill in as I am flexible. Do you have a recommendation for a group in the DFW area where we could get Overland Bound members together and get their HAM Licences in a day, like the HAM Cram that is talked about here....

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Wichita Falls sounds like a good place to meet. Let me know when your details fill in as I am flexible. Do you have a recommendation for a group in the DFW area where we could get Overland Bound members together and get their HAM Licences in a day, like the HAM Cram that is talked about here....
Most Amateur radio clubs offer it once a month. Look for a club near your, see when they offer it. For Plano:

https://k5prk.net/ve-testing/