Best return for the Family

• Expo Experience

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekend Camping Package

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Traveler I

Hello,

I am looking for options for the Expo this year. I will be traveling the Travis AFB the week prior sometime and headed to Flag. (I'm an Arizonian) Which option is the best bang for the dollar?
1) The Experience?
2) Weekend Camping?

It would be my wife and two children (2/9). I would like my wife to get behind the wheel and receive some instruction and I'd like to spectate (for the price). I plan on arriving Thur and camping until Sunday/Monday.

Second, I didn't see the price upgrade for a camping spot with fire rings.

Who can sort me out with our first adventure? Just want to max the ol green back and make sure we enjoy it. I'll post a few pictures of my 1985 K30 Blazer a few post from now.

Attachments

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

The Expo is held at the Air Forces old Fort Tuthill which is now a recreation area just south of Flagstaff. The camping sights with fire rings, a small hotel, cabins, A-frames and yurts are operated independently of the Expo. However, I believe the Expo reserves a significant amount, if not all of those facilities. http://www.forttuthill.com is the sight for the recreation area.

I attempted unsuccessfully to secure a fire ring campsite months ago and attempted again recently. I'm not sure how one goes about doing this short of participating in the Expo or contacting them through some channel I am not aware of. If anyone has this info please share.

The other camping area which is included with the prices posted for the Expo is very crowded. People are stacked in pretty good and you do have an opportunity to meet many of your neighbors. This is fun as it allows you to see lots of different rigs and setups. Just don't expect much privacy and bring a propane fire ring if you want a fire. A propane fire ring may also be required in the sights with fire rings as many years there have been fire restrictions in the Coconino National Forest in May.

I realize this didn't answer your question but its the info I have been able to gather about the Fort Tuthill sight. Hope its somewhat helpful.

-Curtiss

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

In my opinion - it depends on what you want to get out of it. If you're going to sign up early and be diligent about registering as early as possible to get the classes you really want, the experience is awesome. I did not do any of that last year and got the bottom of barrel for classes and then didn't really attend any because I was having so much fun walking around with other OBers and seeing all of the vendor exhibits. So for me, I am only signing up for camping this year.

Camping was one of the best parts to be honest - we were able to camp with about 12 other OB rigs and then found that there were OB encampments all over the place. We held a community camp fire (propane fire pit that a member brought) and it was terrific.

Reactions: Chris M.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Haven't yet started an "official" thread on that yet - there are likely member threads on convoys, etc. Lots of members from CA come out - last year there were two that I know of, one from the Bay Area and one from SoCal. @Michael and @Corrie are often in the Bay Area convoy - just depends on dates, etc.

Overland-Equipt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Surprise, AZ
Member #

From my research, when you go through the process of purchasing your tickets you have the option to pay for a reserved spot in the Fort Tuthill County Park campground. Fort Tuthill Air Force recreation area and Fort Tuthill County Park are separate entities. I think it is an additional $20 a night for the reserved camping at the county park.

Like mentioned, it depends on what you want to get out of it. This will be my first Expo and while I am tempted to go all in part of me kind of just wants to go to this one more of a spectator and walk around and see the different rigs and equipment that come in.

It sounds like you are on the right path of maybe signing your wife up for the experience though if that is something she is interested in being apart of and would take full advantage of all the courses/classes offered to her.

Last edited:

Traveler I

I have some history playing on trails, quads, sxs, dirt bikes, but never in a truck. I would like to get her on the trails and behind the wheel. If she needed to drive while I spotted or vise versa.

Old Dad Knowledge, have someone else teach hahhaha.
I don't know where the class roster is or availability. If I could make a few classes a day a would be worth the money. But if hands on was out of the question then we should spectate.

I plan on meeting up with OB this weekend to introduce the family .
I