Overland Expo West 2017 - NorCal Group

• HTML tutorial

W6WWK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I'll be going, heading out from Sacramento. I'm interested in hooking up for a convoy there and maybe a side detour on the way back too.

Matt

Reactions: hallry

W6WWK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

This will be my first expo too!

Soo Its seems like there’s a fair bit of interest in convoying down but nothing real solid, so let me share what I was thinking:

I have classes scheduled Friday morning, so I want to get there Thursday night. Check in times Thursday is 1-7. According to Google its about a 12 hour haul from Sacramento. I wouldn't want to leave much before 5am which makes it a little too close to leave Thursday. Last year on a road trip we rolled in to flagstaff late and could only find a motel room for $160 a night, never again lol.

That leaves 2 options
A) leave Wednesday and camp somewhere outside LA and meet up with the SoCal crew Thursday morning. Head out from there
B) leave Wednesday, take some other route. Camp, then head out to flagstaff. I, like most people have taken I5 & 99 a million times south, So taking a scenic route could be fun.

I was checking out Reserve America and a lot of campsites booked up. I was thinking reserved camp grounds would be easier/ less stress on the way there. Red Rock Canyon campgrounds outside Las Vegas had a few site available. If enough people is interested I'm sure we can find a group camp site.

So what your guys thoughts?

hallry

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Campbell, CA
Member #

This will be my first expo too!

Soo Its seems like there’s a fair bit of interest in convoying down but nothing real solid, so let me share what I was thinking:

I have classes scheduled Friday morning, so I want to get there Thursday night. Check in times Thursday is 1-7. According to Google its about a 12 hour haul from Sacramento. I wouldn't want to leave much before 5am which makes it a little too close to leave Thursday. Last year on a road trip we rolled in to flagstaff late and could only find a motel room for $160 a night, never again lol.

That leaves 2 options
A) leave Wednesday and camp somewhere outside LA and meet up with the SoCal crew Thursday morning. Head out from there
B) leave Wednesday, take some other route. Camp, then head out to flagstaff. I, like most people have taken I5 & 99 a million times south, So taking a scenic route could be fun.

I was checking out Reserve America and a lot of campsites booked up. I was thinking reserved camp grounds would be easier/ less stress on the way there. Red Rock Canyon campgrounds outside Las Vegas had a few site available. If enough people is interested I'm sure we can find a group camp site.

So what your guys thoughts?
I'm down. I was planning on leaving a few days early so enjoy the trip out there instead of hauling ass to make it in time for check in. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: W6WWK

W6WWK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Yeah enjoying the trip down sounds good... I'll probably have to book'it on the way back, limited vacation time lol

Never heard of Alabama hills, just looked it up.. looks pretty awesome... I would be down to stay there for a night on the way down.. @hallry was there trail you wanted to try?

hallry

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Campbell, CA
Member #

Yeah enjoying the trip down sounds good... I'll probably have to book'it on the way back, limited vacation time lol

Never heard of Alabama hills, just looked it up.. looks pretty awesome... I would be down to stay there for a night on the way down.. @hallry was there trail you wanted to try?

Hey sorry for the delayed response. I'm actually thinking of connecting with the socal group. But ima awaiting approval to head with them. They require license ham radio operators. I have one in an emergency but am not licensed yet. So we shall see. You're welcome to join me.

Reactions: W6WWK

W6WWK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Thanks, but they're leaving to early for me lol...

I'm gonna cruise down 395 over a week and check out a few spots.. I'll be spending Wednesday night at the Barstow KOA (not very outdoorie but a hot shower midway through the trip sounds good) and head out to flagstaff from there

If anyone wants to meet up in Barstow, Thursday and take highway 40, I'm down.

Reactions: Kelly

Moriarty

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stagecoach, NV, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brackett
Member #

Have my ticket for camping. Will be passing through Sacramento around 10 am May 11 Thursday. Are there any caravans planed yet for our area?

nomadnev

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sausalito
Member #

I'm keen - from Marin / Bay Area. I went last year with a bunch of mates and we headed to Joshua tree overnight then went onto OE the next day..........I'm keen to join a caravan leaving any time after Wednesday afternoon....cheers, Nev