Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

Just bought my tickets yesterday. I went with the Overland Experience package. I just bought a winch and I'd really like to gain some practical experience using it and my other recovery gear. Plus the other premium classes look interesting.

If someone is coordinating an OB camping area please let me know!

I hope they revise the mask rule, I really don't feel that they are necessary because it's an outdoor event and vaccines are available to everyone and anyone who wants one (besides children <12). But that's not going to stop me from attending.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Just bought my tickets yesterday. I went with the Overland Experience package. I just bought a winch and I'd really like to gain some practical experience using it and my other recovery gear. Plus the other premium classes look interesting.

If someone is coordinating an OB camping area please let me know!

I hope they revise the mask rule, I really don't feel that they are necessary because it's an outdoor event and vaccines are available to everyone and anyone who wants one (besides children <12). But that's not going to stop me from attending.
There's a thread in the East region by Ohio Valley Overland talking about the group.

I'm in the same boat on the masks (not to mention tickets as I just ordered the experience package tickets myself :) ). Not thrilled at the idea since it's outdoor, but you're also talking tens of thousands of people all in relative close proximity, so I guess they're just taking the cautious route. I'll live.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the wife and i are seriously considering going. yeah, the mask mandate sucks, but i totally get where the promoters need to cover their asses, especially on something so politically charged. overlanding is all about embracing inconveniences, right? :grinning:

i wanted to bring the teardrop trailer, but the pics i saw on the site looked like the event camping areas were taken directly from Woodstock, so i would probably just take the truck with camper shell and hope its cool enough that time of year there to not need an a/c. wondering how the showering is...didnt really look like group camping was set up for shower tents leaving wet spots all over...

Last edited:

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

the wife and i are seriously considering going. yeah, the mask mandate sucks, but i totally get where the promoters need to cover their asses, especially on something so politically charged. overlanding is all about embracing inconveniences, right? :grinning:

i wanted to bring the teardrop trailer, but the pics i saw on the site looked like the event camping areas were taken directly from Woodstock, so i would probably just take the truck with camper shell and hope its cool enough that time of year there to not need an a/c. wondering how the showering is...didnt really look like group camping was set up for shower tents leaving wet spots all over...
According to the FAQ, they have shower trailers around the campground. It does also say welcome to bring your own, but given the tight confines, that does seem a bit off as you'd have water running everywhere.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
According to the FAQ, they have shower trailers around the campground. It does also say welcome to bring your own, but given the tight confines, that does seem a bit off as you'd have water running everywhere.
ok, glad you saw that. i didnt realize they had shower trailers there. i'm fully expecting it to be crowded and a bit of a mess, but as long as i can splash some water on me before going to bed, i'll be good. figured if there was a huge OB group camping together...probably wont be sleeping that much as i'm sure folk will be up all hours visiting.

i keep picturing live bands there like country joe and the fish and everyone wearing tie-dye...

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking1204

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

ok, glad you saw that. i didnt realize they had shower trailers there. i'm fully expecting it to be crowded and a bit of a mess, but as long as i can splash some water on me before going to bed, i'll be good. figured if there was a huge OB group camping together...probably wont be sleeping that much as i'm sure folk will be up all hours visiting.

i keep picturing live bands there like country joe and the fish and everyone wearing tie-dye...
Admittedly, some of the videos I've seen definitely make it look like Woodstock for overlanding.

Reactions: grubworm

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Camping there isn't enjoyable at all. I plan to give (sans mask) but haven't bought tickets yet for that reason. If I do go I'll camp but not there. I'll find somewhere else to go.

Jdsint

Rank V

Creator III

90 New Jersey Highway 94, Vernon, New Jersey 07462, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
S
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2ZBE
Wanted to go to our first OL expo this year but virtue signaling masks are required at an outdoor event. So we aren't going. Just dumb.
I agree , I was planning on going but not after finding out about the masks.
"Requirements which could include but are not limited to mask wearing, temperature checks, medical screenings, contact tracing, ..." from the FAQ page. Too much for me,I'll pass this one up.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I sent Expo East a PM and received this response today: "Our COVID protocol policy will reflect local and federal guidelines and requirements at the time of the show. We cannot adequately assume what those might be as we all know things can change a lot in short periods of time. So we have kept the most stringent protocol on our site but we’re hoping to be able to update those requirements soon."

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I sent Expo East a PM and received this response today: "Our COVID protocol policy will reflect local and federal guidelines and requirements at the time of the show. We cannot adequately assume what those might be as we all know things can change a lot in short periods of time. So we have kept the most stringent protocol on our site but we’re hoping to be able to update those requirements soon."
That's fair.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well, Friday I bought my ticket to Overland Expo East and went with the premium package with some lessons etc, this will be my first time attending. I'm driving up from NW Florida on Tuesday, going to overnight in Mount Mitchell State Park, NC Tuesday and Wednesday night and get to the Expo mid day on Thursday! On my return I'll leave Sunday and camp at Cloudland Canyon State Park in Georgia and return home on Monday. If anybody else wants to meet up at Mount Mitchell State Park and drive up together let me know, I'm camping in Site #5! On the way back I'll be in Cloudland Canyon State Park East Site 57! Hopefully we'll get given some info on how to find the Overland Bound camping area before we get there!

Reactions: Wellspring

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
I live just 20 miles from Mt. Mitchell in Burnsville, NC, and will driving up on Thursday as well. I plan on driving up on I-81 (via I-26), and we could meet on the way to I-26 on NC 19 in a "Park and Ride" just outside of town on the way to I-26 if you would like. I too have the Overland Expo Experience package tickets.

Just for reference, the camping for those with Overland Expo Experience tickets is in a different area apart from the masses from what I understood from management: We shall see.......

wellspringfarm1@gmail.com

chad7757

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Big Ivy Trailhead, Barnardsville, NC, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Stancel
My wife and I are also headed up Thursday morning the 7th from just North of Asheville (Big Ivy Area off 197) It looks like a 4-5 hour drive on the highways or 6-7 hours on the Blue Ridge Parkway most of the way. Not sure it would be worth it for the extra 2 hours, but what a difference in scenery.

We have done expo 2 times. Overland Expo at the Biltmore in 2015 was a really nice location. Reeb Ranch in 2018 started out great but quickly descended into a complete mudfest with all the rain. The driving challenges were indeed very challenging with all the slick red clay. Just navigating in and around the camping area was challenging for most of the rigs. We have always done the overland experience package and you will get to camp in a separate area from the weekend pass holders. At the Biltmore it was better to have camped with the overland experience area because you were much much closer to the daily activities and it was set up next to all the show-and-tell rigs. It was easy to slide by your camp in between classes to grab food drinks etc. Where as the weekend campers had a pretty long walk from their camps to get to anything. At the Reeb Ranch location the overland experience campers were much further away than the weekend campers were from all the vendors and driving activities. *I would say the weekend camping pass at both locations seemed like a little bit more of the younger party crowd and the overland experience campers were a little older and more quiet but still a friendly bunch. There are probably 3-4 times as many people in the weekend camping pass area as opposed to the overland experience section.

If anyone else coming from the 828 wants to caravan we are in!

MDV Hank

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Islamorada, FL, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Stark
Member #

I just bought my premium package and was able to get the military discount( retired Navy) which saved me $75.00. It took a few hours to get the code after I submitted the form but worth the wait.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
My wife and I are also headed up Thursday morning the 7th from just North of Asheville (Big Ivy Area off 197) It looks like a 4-5 hour drive on the highways or 6-7 hours on the Blue Ridge Parkway most of the way. Not sure it would be worth it for the extra 2 hours, but what a difference in scenery.

We have done expo 2 times. Overland Expo at the Biltmore in 2015 was a really nice location. Reeb Ranch in 2018 started out great but quickly descended into a complete mudfest with all the rain. The driving challenges were indeed very challenging with all the slick red clay. Just navigating in and around the camping area was challenging for most of the rigs. We have always done the overland experience package and you will get to camp in a separate area from the weekend pass holders. At the Biltmore it was better to have camped with the overland experience area because you were much much closer to the daily activities and it was set up next to all the show-and-tell rigs. It was easy to slide by your camp in between classes to grab food drinks etc. Where as the weekend campers had a pretty long walk from their camps to get to anything. At the Reeb Ranch location the overland experience campers were much further away than the weekend campers were from all the vendors and driving activities. *I would say the weekend camping pass at both locations seemed like a little bit more of the younger party crowd and the overland experience campers were a little older and more quiet but still a friendly bunch. There are probably 3-4 times as many people in the weekend camping pass area as opposed to the overland experience section.

If anyone else coming from the 828 wants to caravan we are in!
I used to be employed by the folks that originally ran the Overland Expos, and worked all of the Asheville events. And yes, I felt bad for everyone at that "mudfest" at the last one as I too suffered through that one having to supervise parking cars, and taking care of other business during the show. But then again, there was but maybe one or two events that didn't have some type of serious rain occur over the years. I too will be leaving Burnsville the AM of the 7th to head up to Overland Expo as well. I have the Overland Experience Package (I want to finally take in some of those driving courses, instead of working the show...), and want to check in early as I want to get set up, and start walking the show as soon as I can as I have friends that are working the show for the new company, as well as wanting to say "Hi" to some of the driving course instructors I got to know over the years working the Asheville gig as well. Keep in touch as there is also another overlander camping at the Mt. Mitchell campground in Burnsville coming up from the South, and will be driving up to Arrington on the 7th as well. I already made contact with them, and hope they will touch bases when it gets near time to head out.

VoodooRanger

Rank II

Pathfinder III

Miami, Florida, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Blanco
Member #

My brother and I hope to attend this years event. We were looking at taking advantage of the Overland Experience. This would be his first expo(I attended Moore 2021). We would be driving up Friday morning from Miami, but looking at the site it may not work out that way. Says we would need to arrive no later than 6pm Friday, but we won’t be leaving arriving until 7-8pm. Looks like we may need to leave Thursday night if possible and have an overnight somewhere in North Florida to be able to make the cutoff time Friday.