Overland Expedition From Oregon to Alaska -

• HTML tutorial

RIBahler

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Kenai, AK
Member #

You can see the pics of the trip at my Google Photos Oregon to Alaska Album. You can look at each individual picture, click/tap the 'Info Icon' and it will show you the details of where the picture was taken. Here is a detailed map of the trip.

In October of 2016 I drove approximately 2751 miles about 54 hours within 5 days from Oregon to Alaska. Every night I camped at remote sites that I could find from reliable Canadian recreation websites venturing off road as much as possible, and let me tell you, it was an amazing trip. I took the time to plan well for the trip for just about anything that could have gone wrong and gladly I did. I came across a few challenges that I learned from that I'll surely pass along to others. Overlanding is all about the adventure and learning how to accomplish your goal, but ensuring that you at least make it through, so you can explore the next day or better yet your next adventure.

Enjoy the pictures and map by following the links above.

Below is the info I used on my trip that may be helpful to others.
Northern Highways: Alaska, the Yukon Territory & northern British Columbia
How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter
How to Drive to Alaska in the Summer
Highway 37 Stewart-Cassiar Scenic Route
BC Recreation Sites and Trails Interactive Map
Campgrounds & Rest Areas in the Yukon Territory
Yukon Government Campgrounds and Recreation Sites
Yukon Government Campgrounds and Recreation Sites Map
SDMA BLM Alaska Map
U.S. Forest Service Interactive Explore Map
U.S. Department of the Interior BLM Maps
U.S. Department of the Interior BLM Alaska Website
The Mile Post (Legendary Alaska trip planner and Alaska travel guide)

Last edited:

Fatguyinalittlejeep

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Avondale, AZ
Member #

You can see the pics of the trip at my Google Photos Oregon to Alaska Album.
You can see the general map of the trip in google maps here.

In October of 2016 I drove approximately 2751 miles about 54 hours within 5 days from Oregon to Alaska. Every night I camped at remote sites that I could find from reliable Canadian recreation websites on the way venturing off road as much as possible, and let me tell you, it was an amazing trip. I took the time to plan well for the trip for just about anything that could have gone wrong and gladly I did. I came across a few challenges that I learned from that I'll surely pass along to others. Overlanding is all about the adventure and learning how to accomplish your goal, but ensuring that you at least make it through, so you can explore the next day or better yet your next adventure.

Enjoy the pictures and map by following the links above.
Awesome trip! I'd love to see more details on the route you took. Truly enjoyed your photos. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

PB&Me

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

Thanks so much for posting this trip, loved the photos. I can’t get enough of other members’ trips.

If you get a chance in the future it would be great to hear what you did/planned that went well and what you’d do differently next time.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Thanks so much for posting this trip, loved the photos. I can’t get enough of other members’ trips.

If you get a chance in the future it would be great to hear what you did/planned that went well and what you’d do differently next time.
I, too, would love to hear this, as my wife and I are pre-pre-pre-planning a trip very similar to this one (we are a few years out still).

Reactions: PB&Me

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

Awesome links to your research. Thanks for sharing those.

In looking at your photos, are there descriptions of the photos that I can't find? There are a lot, so I get that there may not be any, but just checking I'm not missing out. There were some campsites in those photos I'd love to bookmark if that was possible.