Overland Expedition Enclosure

• HTML tutorial

jazzworth

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Corrales, NM
Member #

I am new to the full size truck (2016 RAM 2500 LB) coming from Land Cruisers and need a modular rack that can serve as large dog crate with protection (I have Newfoundlands), an overland gear holder, an expedition rack, and a RTT /awning rack, all while being able to remove parts and pieces to use the truck bed. It is coming along, but still a ways to go! Thanks for checking it out! 2018-02-28_8-32-23.png I started with a 3D CAD drawing (FreeCAD is great!) so I could make design changes and move things around easily.20180324_170219.jpg
Then I produced some drawings to work from for each piece.
20180325_151237.jpg This is the basis for all the modular pieces. It is open in the back so I can still use the bed for large items, like my balloon basket.20180330_145800.jpg Then , the RTT rack. I will create another basket case, but this needed to come first!20180331_175624.jpg Then the first gear panel. Room for 6 2gal rotopax stacked. The gear panels can be swapped out for other panels depending on the activity.20180401_074939 (1).jpg A couple of rotopax for a test fit and the tent mounted as well.20180401_160158.jpg Another gear panel for some recovery gear (hope the Hi-Lift never has to come off!).

Still have the rear panel with locking door (for the dogs as well as locking up gear when leaving base camp) and lighting (brake, marker, a couple of larger floods and spots, and cabin lights in the enclosure) and then paint or powder coat. I'll keep the progress going.

TLK

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, GA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Kekel
Member #

Service Branch
US Coast Guard
Looks a great design.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Very cool! Your main hoops and mounting bar are similar to my quick custom rack so now I have ideas floating around in my head. Thanks!

aaaslayer

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chino, CA
I too have a long bed cummins. 2015 to be exact. I just sold my tool box and headache rack and bed caps to start with a new project. I was going to weld up EXACTLY something like this. I hope you don't mind me borrowing these plans. If you don't mind emailing them to me that'd be awesome if you can share them with me.

On the rectangular tubing, is that 3 inch x 1 inch??

On the load bars is that 1 inch x 1 inch square tubing??

What thickness did you go with on the rectangular tubing and the square tubing? 1/8? Or thicker? Can't decide if 1/8 will suffice or if I need thicker. Did you MIG or Fluxcore your rack? Just curious because I don't have a MIG setup, I am using flux core and hoping it would be solid enough to handle up to 3/16 thickness.