First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Not mine but what I'm considering building, storage is a premium in a Wrangler
Oh haha. You could’ve played that off “well I do it in my spare time in between the multitude of charities that I run...”

Michael G.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans, Louisiana
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gauthreaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5AZA
Oh haha. You could’ve played that off “well I do it in my spare time in between the multitude of charities that I run...”
LOL! im hoping what ever i build come anywhere near looking that good, but as long as its functional i wont complain.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I was thinking about the Decked drawers. I still want to be able to keep my cover on my truck until I decide which rack I am going to add for my rooftop tent.
Yeah the decked drawer system is nice. For my tacoma it would have been too wide under my tonneau cover so I opted to build and customize. But if it works then they are amazing

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
LOL! im hoping what ever i build come anywhere near looking that good, but as long as its functional i wont complain.
My first post has the link to my actual build thread. What REALLY helped me was having the lumbar yard do my cut list. They handed me 21 perfectly cut and square boards. That’s the hardest part of doing your own system. Cabinetry has to be square or it just doesn’t work well or look good. Even with a small table saw it’s hard to keep the cuts correct. My local place charged me $70 for my cuts, I thought that was a decent price for perfect boards that makes the build more successful. There’s such a great sense of pride building it too if you can!

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Michael G.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans, Louisiana
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gauthreaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5AZA
My first post has the link to my actual build thread. What REALLY helped me was having the lumbar yard do my cut list. They handed me 21 perfectly cut and square boards. That’s the hardest part of doing your own system. Cabinetry has to be square or it just doesn’t work well or look good. Even with a small table saw it’s hard to keep the cuts correct. My local place charged me $70 for my cuts, I thought that was a decent price for perfect boards that makes the build more successful. There’s such a great sense of pride building it too if you can!
I agree, I have had them do cuts before if not I tend to measure 10 cut twice :)

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Here is my cut list to make my drawer:

This is the cut list I sent my local lumber yard and for $70 of labor I got back something like 23 perfectly cut boards. Being a cabinet if it’s not EXACTLY 90 degree cuts you’re screwed. So here’s my cut list to fit a short bed truck, accounting for a tonneau cover and 56” sliders with locking handles sticking out.

Truck Bed Drawer— all 1/2 inch furniture grade plywood

Outer Box-
Top & bottom. 58x20.5 x2
Sides. 58x15 x2
Back. 19.5x15 x1

Drawer-
Bottom. 33.25x18 x1
Sides. 56x13.5 x2
Back & divider 17x13.5 x2
Shelf bottom. 22.75x17 x1
Shelf front. 17x6. x1
Top face plate. 20.5x9 x1
Bot face plate. 20.5x7 x1

Drawer Lids-1/2”
Lid 1. 27x18 x1
Lid 2. 23x18 x1
End Cap. 6x18 x1
Cubby bottom 6x17
Cubby side 6x17

Stove Pocket-
Cutting board 22.75x16.5 x1
Sides. 22.75x5 x2
Stove board 22.75x14 x1

EC8FE015-0979-4CF5-A1E7-F796A1875058.jpeg

Reactions: quadabaum

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Here is my shopping list that I used to build and complete the drawer I built:

Coleman Grill that I bought
Coleman Classic Propane Stove
Order 2 sets of lifts
Sauton 1pair Folding Lift up Top Table Mechanism Hardware Fitting Hinge Spring Standing Desk Frame
Order 1
OWACH Slam Latch for 3/4" door panel AL-958-3 for RV Motorhome Boat Drawers Cabinet door PUSH TO CLOSE
Order 2 pairs
TCH Hardware 2 Pack Medium Spring Loaded Steel Recessed Handle Black with Padded Grip Case Chest Box
Order 1
Winco CBWT-1824 Cutting Board, 18 by 24 by 1/2-Inch, White
Order 2 sets
Liberty D80622C-ZP-W 22-Inch Ball Bearing Drawer Slides
Order 1
Gorilla Wood Glue, 8 ounce Bottle
Order 2
CURT 83730 Surface-Mounted Tie-Down D-Ring
Order 1
Liberty H01068C-UC-C5 Non-Mortise Concealed Spring Hinge, 1-Pack
Order 1 pack
Reliable Hardware Company RH-5112BO-A 1/2-Inch Wood Screw with Black Oxide and Wax
Order 1 set of these babies
https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/fulterer-drawer-slides-side-mount-drawer-slides-FULFR5400L56

Henrik Martin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Awesome drawer! I watched the video of the rig walkthrough. Impressive work! I'd love to build something like that myself. How long did it take you to build them? I've been thinking about making drawers out of aluminum for my trailer, just to get the weight down. Very inspiring to see this!

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Awesome drawer! I watched the video of the rig walkthrough. Impressive work! I'd love to build something like that myself. How long did it take you to build them? I've been thinking about making drawers out of aluminum for my trailer, just to get the weight down. Very inspiring to see this!
It was about 10 hours of work because I didn’t know what I was doing exactly. I wanted to use 80/20 to build it but it would have doubled the cost and you have to REALLY PLAN it out with the cuts, connectors, and T nuts. It would lighten it considerably. That’s the one downside with wood is that it is heavy.

If you build one send the photos, thanks!

Reactions: Henrik Martin

RevIza

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Berkeley, CA, USA
Member #

RevIza

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Berkeley, CA, USA
Member #

It was about 10 hours of work because I didn’t know what I was doing exactly. I wanted to use 80/20 to build it but it would have doubled the cost and you have to REALLY PLAN it out with the cuts, connectors, and T nuts. It would lighten it considerably. That’s the one downside with wood is that it is heavy.

If you build one send the photos, thanks!
Can you tell me what the approximate "dry" weight is?