US Rocky Mountain Overland Bound @ Winter 4X4 Jamboree in Hurricane, UT! - 01/17/2019

• HTML tutorial

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Michael and I will be out in St. George/Hurricane UT for the annual Winter 4X4 Jamboree fundraiser! The Jamboree is 3 full days of trail rides, food, and community. The morning trail rides require registering at the event site and are $40 per truck/trail a day. Entry to the afternoon and evening events is FREE. See additional notes below!

View Rally Point

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
what kind of camping is available around that area?
I know that there is a lot of open space, but I'm not sure what camping is allowed, especially tied to the event.

I'm thinking that would be a fun long weekend, but I normally stay away from huge events where I'm waiting in line to take my turn on an obstacle.

Dan.

Reactions: Kent R

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Michael and I will be out in St. George/Hurricane UT for the annual Winter 4X4 Jamboree fundraiser! The Jamboree is 3 full days of trail rides, food, and community. The morning trail rides require registering at the event site and are $40 per truck/trail a day. Entry to the afternoon and evening events is FREE. See additional notes below!

I'll be there and look forward to meeting you both! Big fan! Signed my wife up for the ladies run Saturday up west rim. I'm pretty local so let me know if you need anything I can help out with.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
I know that there is a lot of open space, but I'm not sure what camping is allowed, especially tied to the event.

I'm thinking that would be a fun long weekend, but I normally stay away from huge events where I'm waiting in line to take my turn on an obstacle.

Dan.
Camping is allowed right there in the fairgrounds and is free. There are lots of other areas in public land.. but not as close to the action. What are you looking for?

Reactions: VCeXpedition

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Camping is allowed right there in the fairgrounds and is free. There are lots of other areas in public land.. but not as close to the action. What are you looking for?

Thanks A, I would probably be looking for something relatively close to the action, but I'm a little crowd-averse! Right on top of each other is not my style, a little travel is OK.

Is there anything specific around Sand Hollow that is open-style camping or primitive camping?

Dan.

Reactions: Kent R

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Thanks A, I would probably be looking for something relatively close to the action, but I'm a little crowd-averse! Right on top of each other is not my style, a little travel is OK.

Is there anything specific around Sand Hollow that is open-style camping or primitive camping?

Dan.
Check back here in an 60-90 min or so, I'll throw a few spots on Google earth and upload a file for you to check out.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
See attached KML for SOME of the available BLM and State Trust Land camping areas. Lots of public land around here! Most secluded spots are farther away.. better views in the Laverkin overlook area, may be windy up higher, they didn't name it Hurricane because of the annual rain fall..lol

Attachments

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Dan.. we also need to Meetup at the Jamboree.. you need to check out my 05 Sequoia
@VCeXpedition

Thanks again, I'd love to see your truck, I really like that gen Sequoia, it's right-sized!

Have you been to this before? Does it get crowded, like Jeep Jambo EJS crowded? I really like the smaller venue stuff, it would be worth a trip up to meet people and see the local trails.

I would probably come up Wed PM late and take the long way home after Saturday. Man, sounds like fun!

Dan.

Last edited:

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Thanks again, I'd love to see your truck, I really like that gen Sequoia, it's right-sized!

Dan.
You're welcome, I'll try and find you Thursday evening, I plan to hit up Michaels booth. We'll be the few Toyotas in the sea of Jeeps. Hit me up if you need anything, my wife grew up in Hurricane, so we know a few people.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ

Have you been to this before? Does it get crowded, like Jeep Jambo EJS crowded? I really like the smaller venue stuff, it would be worth a trip up to meet people and see the local trails.

I would probably come up Wed PM late and take the long way home after Saturday. Man, sounds like fun!

Dan.
I must have only seen the first part of your post.. I haven't attended before, word is there are usually around 1000 participants.. photos look like mostly Jeepers, but good folks, awesome area, and tons of places to explore. If I were taking the long way home I'd hit up that camp site I marked Cedar Pocket south west of St.George Saturday night on the way out , then take that trail (rd 1005 on google maps) all the way over the hill down to Hwy 91, then down to Beaver Dam and hookup to I-15.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I must have only seen the first part of your post.. I haven't attended before, word is there are usually around 1000 participants.. photos look like mostly Jeepers, but good folks, awesome area, and tons of places to explore. If I were taking the long way home I'd hit up that camp site I marked Cedar Pocket south west of St.George Saturday night on the way out , then take that trail (rd 1005 on google maps) all the way over the hill down to Hwy 91, then down to Beaver Dam and hookup to I-15.

Thanks for the recommendation, I have driven Hwy 91 many times and noticed that road and wanted to explore it.
Sounds like a good distraction. I have Monday off as well so I am thinking of exploring BLM land around Valley Of Fire.

>> Sorry for the hijack <<! Carry on...

Dan

Montazuma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hurricane,Utah
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Hey guys, it’s Dana & Jean from Expo West with the red JK with trailer that camped with you guys. We actually live here in Hurricane. Stoked y’all are going to be here...see you in a week..IMG_2281.JPG

Montazuma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hurricane,Utah
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Dan.
There is plenty of camping on the lake right at the event. Great setting.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Another taste of what you can expect to see... did some practice today...IMG_0495.JPG

Ursus

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I am a bit confused on how afternoon and evening runs are conducted. Are they not guided like the morning trail runs? This will be my first experience with the Winter 4x4 Jamboree so excuse my ignorance. I didnt find out about the event until past the deadline so I wasnt able to register for any trails.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
I am a bit confused on how afternoon and evening runs are conducted. Are they not guided like the morning trail runs? This will be my first experience with the Winter 4x4 Jamboree so excuse my ignorance. I didnt find out about the event until past the deadline so I wasnt able to register for any trails.
Trails open after 4pm for general use, no guides..etc. At least, that's what my info said. I'm going to be around tomorrow afternoon/evening, and Friday evening, doing a trail saturday

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

New member today. Have been following you guys on Instagram and love what you do. Heading your way today at 4. Cant wait to meet you guys.

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

They still have some spots open. You can sign up when you get there. That's what I plan on doing. Heading that way today.