Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all - this post is to provide the Overland Bound Community with a little context for the changes happening on the website, and for that reason, it may ramble just a bit. Bear with me.

Things I'll touch on briefly:
  1. Why Overland Bound develops software.
  2. Why this "upgrade", specifically?
  3. What's to come?
Why do we develop software? Adventure is necessary. We all need it. That's our mission. What does this have to do with software development? Overland Bound grew quickly, and a couple years ago we realized that in order to serve the community, we would need to develop an unprecedented community platform specifically for overlanders. Overland Bound is the community. @Corrie and I, and our small (but mighty) staff do not scale across a global community of awesome adventurers. The community needs its own tools to communicate and support each other. (That does scale!)

In addition, the needs of overland adventurers are unique. If we could use something off the shelf, we would. But it doesn't exist. For example, I know for a fact y'all use three applications to navigate from your doorstep to an off grid location. I know, because that's what I do! In short, we develop software because it is required in order to provide the Overland Bound community with the support and resources it needs to safely find adventure of all sorts.

Our overland community platform will focus on three things:
  1. Connecting with the community (Resources, SOS, Friendship)
  2. Planning (Trips, Events, Training, AR and 3D Terrain Viewers)
  3. Navigation (Maps and Resources, Seamless doorstep to off grid Nav, Layers)
The software in development has been designed by overlanders for overlanders, and the Overland Bound community has shaped what we are building, actively.

Why this "Upgrade" specifically? You see some new buttons and a few more colors, but is it "Better"? Yes, it is. As in life, what is better is often harder than what we are used to. In this case, the upgrade is required. When we started specifying the upcoming platform requirements, our development team was a bit slack-jawed, meaning, the goals are ambitious. To be honest, nothing like this has ever been built before. It doesn't exist. It's hard.

OK, specifics - The web platform is the source for all OLB information and features. We develop features on the web platform first. An Application Program Interface or API serves information to any client, a mobile device for example. We are designing the platform to be able to serve any client device. That can be a mobile phone, VR helmet, AR Glasses or or a Beeper from the early 90's. Various devices will interface with the web platform. In order to do this, the platform has to be fast. The previous platform was returning client "Requests" in 8000 milliseconds (8 seconds). Totally unacceptable. We needed that to be 500ms at most. In addition to performance improvements, we were able to change the development process by which we address issues so we will be much faster (the developers closed out 45 issues last night), and security has been improved. The annoying part is, much of the improvements are not visible to the community, but nonetheless, required. Now, your quality of life will improve quickly from this point.

What are we building for the community? At the highest level, we are a mobile community - we are overlanders. It's required that we have a mobile application to connect, plan, and navigate. In Q2 this year, we will roll out the MVP (minimal viable product) of the software, and for the first time, our member features will be available in a mobile app. That includes Forums, Rally Point, and the Member Map, as well as preliminary navigation. @LiveWorkWander, OB Member 0300, are accomplished UI/UX designers, and were given the challenge to execute on a design concept that was function-first, specifically for overlanders. You won't find annoying check-boxes or sliders too small to use, and being a driving app for all times of day, day/night modes are a requirement. The list goes on. As I said, nothing like this exists.

fe620c07-b566-418d-ab71-9cd54288e543.png6acac30f-001c-47aa-8f8f-949476f0ab85.png

30a135ad-d99d-402d-b777-1a189039d512.png 9f703268-6eee-4a7b-a072-16ca788a1632.png 37f7aec6-e19b-4424-87a9-1904f0b9dabe.png

That's the beginning.

After the initial release, we will continue to deliver features at a monthly cadence. These will be innovative features that make overland travel safer, more fun, and better with a world-wide support network of fellow members. These features will be both cutting edge, and simple features that add value. Examples include:

1. 3D and AR Renderings of terrain traveled by the community (3D for safety - better prepare you for the environment you will encounter)
  2. Theodolite Telemetry data recorder - (everything about your speed, angle, and location recorded - Overlander Black Box)
  3. Gas planner and Alert - Based on known, updated gas locations, app will tell you to keep going or turn around based on your current fuel level.
  4. Map, save, and share your tracks and trips (if desired)
  5. Map Overlays (BLM, Nat'l, Private, and other mapping layers)
  6. Team Ride (see where your crew or convoy is on the map in real-time)
These are just a few examples, and I know they sound cool, because you my friend, are an overlander. Not everyone thinks like this :) We will be introducing a "Pro" subscription tier to support the development of these features. It's necessary, but optional. This is a huge team undertaking, and without a "Pro" tier, it doesn't happen.

Many of you know I have a background as a software developer, and among the many reasons for starting Overland Bound, escape from that world was a part of it - or at least, finding balance. When we made the full realization I would need to embrace software development in order to support the Overland Bound community the way it deserves, it was a huge decision. The fact is, our software development is required to provide the tools and support the community needs, and to make our community everything it can be. Software development is hard. Anything worth doing usually is. It's worth it.

I have a huge personal thanks to give to the community for being continually awesome, and being understanding and supportive as we work hard to execute on a large vision. I'm not sure another community like Overland Bound exists. You are unique, unprecedented, and awesome. We're busting ass to meet you halfway.

Thank you,

Michael, Corrie, and Team OLB

Remember, you can switch to a light or dark theme by selecting "OLB Light" or "OLB Dark" in the Style Chooser at the very bottom of this page.
For any issues you are having, please contact info@overlandbound.com, or use the "Support" forum.

Last edited:

KirkB

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Jenks, OK, USA
Member #

Very exciting; as a business leader i see the challenges everyday of choosing to invest in hidden “foundation specific” projects verses visible and tangible projects. Many times the right choice is to put time and $ where it’s not seen so that when you do spend on the fun thing the benefits are magnified exponentially. I applaud you on having the courage to make the hard decisions that are forward looking.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hey all - this post is to provide the Overland Bound Community with a little context for the changes happening on the website, and for that reason, it may ramble just a bit. Bear with me.

3. What's to come?
Why do we develop software? Adventure is necessary. We all need it. That's our mission. What does this have to do with software development? Overland Bound grew quickly, and a couple years ago we realized that in order to serve the community, we would need to develop an unprecedented community platform specifically for overlanders. Overland Bound is the community. @Corrie and I, and our small (but mighty) staff do not scale across a global community of awesome adventurers. The community needs its own tools to communicate and support each other. (That does scale!)

In addition, the needs of overland adventurers are unique. If we could use something off the shelf, we would. But it doesn't exist. For example, I know for a fact y'all use three applications to navigate from your doorstep to an off grid location. I know, because that's what I do! In short, we develop software because it is required in order to provide the Overland Bound community with the support and resources it needs to safely find adventure of all sorts.

The software in development has been designed by overlanders for overlanders, and the Overland Bound community has shaped what we are building, actively.

Why this "Upgrade" specifically? You see some new buttons and a few more colors, but is it "Better"? Yes, it is. As in life, what is better is often harder than what we are used to. In this case, the upgrade is required. When we started specifying the upcoming platform requirements, our development team was a bit slack-jawed, meaning, the goals are ambitious. To be honest, nothing like this has ever been built before. It doesn't exist. It's hard.

OK, specifics - The web platform is the source for all OLB information and features. We develop features on the web platform first. An Application Program Interface or API serves information to any client, a mobile device for example. We are designing the platform to be able to serve any client device. That can be a mobile phone, VR helmet, AR Glasses or or a Beeper from the early 90's. Various devices will interface with the web platform. In order to do this, the platform has to be fast. The previous platform was returning client "Requests" in 8000 milliseconds (8 seconds). Totally unacceptable. We needed that to be 500ms at most. In addition to performance improvements, we were able to change the development process by which we address issues so we will be much faster (the developers closed out 45 issues last night), and security has been improved. The annoying part is, much of the improvements are not visible to the community, but nonetheless, required. Now, your quality of life will improve quickly from this point.

What are we building for the community? At the highest level, we are a mobile community - we are overlanders. It's required that we have a mobile application to connect, plan, and navigate. In Q2 this year, we will roll out the MVP (minimal viable product) of the software, and for the first time, our member features will be available in a mobile app. That includes Forums, Rally Point, and the Member Map, as well as preliminary navigation. @LiveWorkWander, OB Member 0300, are accomplished UI/UX designers, and were given the challenge to execute on a design concept that was function-first, specifically for overlanders. You won't find annoying check-boxes or sliders too small to use, and being a driving app for all times of day, day/night modes are a requirement. The list goes on. As I said, nothing like this exists.

View attachment 89365View attachment 89366

View attachment 89368 View attachment 89367 View attachment 89369

That's the beginning.

After the initial release, we will continue to deliver features at a monthly cadence. These will be innovative features that make overland travel safer, more fun, and better with a world-wide support network of fellow members. These features will be both cutting edge, and simple features that add value. Examples include:

1. 3D and AR Renderings of terrain traveled by the community (3D for safety - better prepare you for the environment you will encounter)
  2. Theodolite Telemetry data recorder - (everything about your speed, angle, and location recorded - Overlander Black Box)
  3. Gas planner and Alert - Based on known, updated gas locations, app will tell you to keep going or turn around based on your current fuel level.
These are just a few examples, and I know they sound cool, because you my friend, are an overlander. Not everyone thinks like this :) We will be introducing a "Pro" subscription tier to support the development of these features. It's necessary, but optional. This is a huge team undertaking, and without a "Pro" tier, it doesn't happen.

Many of you know I have a background as a software developer, and among the many reasons for starting Overland Bound, escape from that world was a part of it - or at least, finding balance. When we made the full realization I would need to embrace software development in order to support the Overland Bound community the way it deserves, it was a huge decision. The fact is, our software development is required to provide the tools and support the community needs, and to make our community everything it can be. Software development is hard. Anything worth doing usually is. It's worth it.

I have a huge personal thanks to give to the community for being continually awesome, and being understanding and supportive as we work hard to execute on a large vision. I'm not sure another community like Overland Bound exists. You are unique, unprecedented, and awesome. We're busting ass to meet you halfway.

Thank you,

Thank you, thank you, thank you to @Michael @Corrie and the entire team and staff that makes this community amazing. There is nothing like this Family and the support it gives . So blessed and thankful to be a part of something great that keeps getting better all the time. Saddens me when people get butt hurt that they have to pay to join and say there's nothing but a badge to be had. I know better.....there's so many behind the scenes expense and the fact there are no annoying advertisements or spam is priceless. I proudly tell others of our Family and invite them to check us out for these reasons and more. Thank you again for everything you do....it's greatly appreciated.

Roam Wild Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor I

Halifax, NS
Member #

This is absolutely awesome guys! Thank you for taking the reigns on such a huge (but greatly needed) initiative and leading the growth of the community. Looking very forward to seeing where everything is going!

Reactions: Chadlyb and Michael

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

3. What's to come?

That's the beginning.

Thank you,

Remember, you can switch to a light or dark theme by selecting "OLB Light" or "OLB Dark" in the Style Chooser at the very bottom of this page.
For any issues you are having, please contact info@overlandbound.com, or use the "Support" forum.
This great news. We want it yesterday but completley understand the time and effort that dev takes. Look forward to using the pro version when it's released. Thanks for you and your team's tireless efforts. [emoji106][emoji41]

Reactions: Chadlyb and Michael

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH

3. What's to come?

That's the beginning.

Thank you,

Impressive. Very nice festure set. Thank you for spending the time and resources. Grateful to be a member.

Reactions: Michael

Unbound4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Leander, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6UXD
Hmmmm, being a UX Designer myself I may have to provide some feedback when the time arrives. Looks interesting. Great work everyone!

Reactions: Corrie and Michael

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Thank you Michael and Corrie (and team), this is the best Overland community and it is because of you guys!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Sounds awesome. I'm excited to see how this all pans out, especially the mapping/nav aspect. I have not at all been impressed with Gaia GPS.

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
Navigation is my sticking point with the various apps and systems out there. I want to see positioning based on direct connection to GPS satellite data which has the advantage of being free as opposed to cell tower data connect. I still use a dedicated Windows laptop in my vehicle which has the advantage of a large screen and a plethora of other capabilities that I want to use. So, I am looking forward to seeing what you will be coming up with.

r2fasani

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Ripon, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Fasani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZQ
Super excited to see this! Thank you for all the hard work to date on the platform, and for all the work to come.