Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Did not take long to decide that the map included in the Overland Bound tablet app is really all I need for land nav. I have a Dual XGPS160 which gives my non-gps tablet all the gps capability it needs. I assume the map app requires an internet connection to function? Any thoughts that this might become an off-line-capable app? ("scuze me if this has been discussed before - I tried a number of search term combinations without any success.)

Reactions: Prerunner1982

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
I'm not a developer but do work in IT. It looks like the map works with Google geocoding which uses a API to access google geocoordinates via their cloud. Now if there is someway to save that information returned from the OB1 to a google map I don't know but as of right now it doesn't look like it. Again, I'm not a developer but that is just my assumption.

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
Looks like there is a way but you will need the Expedition Tier of the app.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Did not take long to decide that the map included in the Overland Bound tablet app is really all I need for land nav. I have a Dual XGPS160 which gives my non-gps tablet all the gps capability it needs. I assume the map app requires an internet connection to function? Any thoughts that this might become an off-line-capable app? ("scuze me if this has been discussed before - I tried a number of search term combinations without any success.)
Offline maps will become available in August.

Reactions: El-Dracho

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well, this is good news! Any information available on this, or do we have to wait for the roll-out?
I don’t have any information on it. Nor do I have the knowledge of exactly when the plan for the “roll-out” will be. I do know that the offline map mode does work very easily, and I have been using it since around Memorial Day Weekend to test this feature.

Reactions: Mustang03

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Wondering if the possible off-line capable Overland Bound mapping app is still going to happen?

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Maybe it is time to ask the 64-dollar question and ask about the dollars, i.e., what is this going to cost?