Overland Bound Map in off-line use?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Mustang03

Rank V
Adventure

Contributor III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Did not take long to decide that the map included in the Overland Bound tablet app is really all I need for land nav. I have a Dual XGPS160 which gives my non-gps tablet all the gps capability it needs. I assume the map app requires an internet connection to function? Any thoughts that this might become an off-line-capable app? ("scuze me if this has been discussed before - I tried a number of search term combinations without any success.)

Reactions: Prerunner1982

DaPyrate

Rank IV

Advocate III

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE8PBK
I'm not a developer but do work in IT. It looks like the map works with Google geocoding which uses a API to access google geocoordinates via their cloud. Now if there is someway to save that information returned from the OB1 to a google map I don't know but as of right now it doesn't look like it. Again, I'm not a developer but that is just my assumption.

DaPyrate

Rank IV

Advocate III

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE8PBK
Looks like there is a way but you will need the Expedition Tier of the app.

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY
Did not take long to decide that the map included in the Overland Bound tablet app is really all I need for land nav. I have a Dual XGPS160 which gives my non-gps tablet all the gps capability it needs. I assume the map app requires an internet connection to function? Any thoughts that this might become an off-line-capable app? ("scuze me if this has been discussed before - I tried a number of search term combinations without any success.)
Offline maps will become available in August.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Mustang03

Rank V
Adventure

Contributor III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Offline maps will become available in August.
Well, this is good news! Any information available on this, or do we have to wait for the roll-out?

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY
Well, this is good news! Any information available on this, or do we have to wait for the roll-out?
I don’t have any information on it. Nor do I have the knowledge of exactly when the plan for the “roll-out” will be. I do know that the offline map mode does work very easily, and I have been using it since around Memorial Day Weekend to test this feature.

Reactions: Mustang03