chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
Just a big shout out to Terry for a great, friendly net control, and all of the others that were able to join the net last night. It was my first time using EchoLink on my iPhone, so it was definitely a trial run. Half way through, I ended up dropping, quickly searching the Internet, downloading EchoHAM for my Mac and re-joining. Much more stable, but I lost a lot of air time. Now that I have the tools (and know I can connect), I plan to join in more in the future. Happy Holidays everyone!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Topic suggestion: Solar power. Most overlanders would use it to power their fridge and such, but it could also be used to power a radio particularly a HF radio. Or at least that would be my intend.
Some discussion on different setups and how to determine how much you need, etc would make for a good net.

Reactions: ru108 and TerryD

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Topic suggestion: Solar power. Most overlanders would use it to power their fridge and such, but it could also be used to power a radio particularly a HF radio. Or at least that would be my intend.
Some discussion on different setups and how to determine how much you need, etc would make for a good net.
That's how I run mine in the field. My house battery is charged with a split charge from my alternator and I have solar for when I'm camped.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Great net but we need a longer time slot.
There's actually not anything going on after our net from what Will has said so we could probably double check that and go another round of we wanted.

It was a great net Ed!

If anyone is interested in trying their hand at net control, we have an open spot next week! Just message me and we'll set you up and we can do a mock run one evening to get you comfortable at the helm!

Reactions: Overland 505

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

There's actually not anything going on after our net from what Will has said so we could probably double check that and go another round of we wanted.

It was a great net Ed!

If anyone is interested in trying their hand at net control, we have an open spot next week! Just message me and we'll set you up and we can do a mock run one evening to get you comfortable at the helm!
I may be. Maybe.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
We missed you last night Brent. The net went pretty smoothly but I did rush it a bit to squeeze everybody in at the end. I’ll know better next time.
How’s your trip so far?

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
A little slow going over santiam pass but we made it. Camping outside bend today. You can follow on aprs.fi if interested. Going to Crater lake today
That’s great. The aprs.fi site is pretty neat. I checked on your location last night, finding you someplace in the Oregon cascades. I can see how this service \feature of ham radio is so applicable to overlanding. Stay safe out there.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hey folks! Hope everyone has been enjoying the net! Got a couple things we need some input/help with though:

First, we're wanting some input as to topics you'd like to have for the net. We have a few held back and we're also wanting to have follow ups on APRS, SOTA, and Solar as they were all very popular topics and a LOT of info was passed around on them. However, this is your net and we'd like your input for future topics. It can be anything related to Overlanding or Amateur Radio.

The other thing is we are still looking for another one or two net controls. Shane, Ed and myself have been really enjoying doing it but as we get toward the busier parts of the year where more folks will be traveling and spending time outdoors, it would be great to have a couple more folks who could help fill in times when we have plans. Don't be shy! We'll happily set up an evening to meet and let you do a run through for practice. And it's a group effort, there's always one of us on to help out.

Feel free to post up or message Brent @Brentc17 , Ed @12poundtest , Shane @ru108 or myself with any questions or comments!

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hey folks! Hope everyone has been enjoying the net! Got a couple things we need some input/help with though:

First, we're wanting some input as to topics you'd like to have for the net. We have a few held back and we're also wanting to have follow ups on APRS, SOTA, and Solar as they were all very popular topics and a LOT of info was passed around on them. However, this is your net and we'd like your input for future topics. It can be anything related to Overlanding or Amateur Radio.

The other thing is we are still looking for another one or two net controls. Shane, Ed and myself have been really enjoying doing it but as we get toward the busier parts of the year where more folks will be traveling and spending time outdoors, it would be great to have a couple more folks who could help fill in times when we have plans. Don't be shy! We'll happily set up an evening to meet and let you do a run through for practice. And it's a group effort, there's always one of us on to help out.

Feel free to post up or message Brent @Brentc17 , Ed @12poundtest , Shane @ru108 or myself with any questions or comments!
It seems CB and GMRS have set channels for emergencies whereas Ham does not.

In my research I did come across something called wilderness protocol. This is where Hams tune to 146.520 on the hour for ten minutes to monitor for emergency calls. Unfortunately, if no one is listening this frequency every hour, it does no good.

So is there movement to standardize a national Ham emergency frequency?

Is there one in use today?

Or... as a group is it possible to do this ourselves.

Thanks for considering this topic.

Reactions: xplorr

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ

In my research I did come across something called wilderness protocol. This is where Hams tune to 146.520 on the hour for ten minutes to monitor for emergency calls. Unfortunately, if no one is listening this frequency every hour, it does no good.

146.520 is the "National Calling Frequency" for 2m FM. There is usually someone somewhere monitoring it. When I'm mobile away from home, I always keep one side of my radio tuned to it and I've heard lots of chatter on it. Good idea on a topic of discussion though!

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

146.520 is the 2m National Calling frequency in both US and Canada. And that's why the preppers have it in their lists.
There is no reason to try to standardize another freq since .520 is a known one by everyone.
Stay on 146.520. We'll be there.