Over-Prepared or Under Packed?

• HTML tutorial

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

Hey there overlanders, so lately ive had a lot of free time on my hands throughout the day, and a lot of extra money in my pocket. So ive had a lot of opportunity to really dig in and research an upcoming trip I have planned from a few different perspectives. Watched a ridiculous amount of videos, and read forum and forum.
THE TRIP: in July, 2020. im planning on embarking from NC to accomplish the TAT, along the way I will be stopping at windrock OHV park in TN, MOAB, Grand Canyon, and Four Corners along with some other places on the way to Oregon. Once in Oregon I plan to take CA HWY 395 down to Lake Tahoe, CA and take on the Rubicon Trail and camp out a night or so at the lake. From there ill be taking the CA coastal HWY down to meet the start of Route 66 and start making my way back east. Stops along rte 66 are still in the planning phase, probably going to cut off in Tulsa, OK and head down to the GA traverse before heading home. all in all im giving myself 40 days to get it done, which I feel is a pretty good amount of time and leaves plenty of room for adventure.
THE PREPARATION: As of now I have about 18 months and have really been focusing on planning this for about 2 months so far. Prep includes everything from doing a lot of map research, to excel spreadsheets for jeep build, finances up to and during the trip, and packing lists. Aside from the saving and all that, which I feel like im doing the smartest way. My question really comes down to the build and the packing list. I have a list of items that I think makes the Jeep tough enough to tackle the trail, and the wife is thinking its not going to be that serious. As Far as packing, (as of now) im planning on being able to fit everything in the back of the cargo area. No roof rack at the moment.
THE BUILD: So at the moment the Jeep is fairly mild with a lift, 35s, rock rails, and a darn good driver. In the planning phase is coming a new dana 44 front axle, control arms all the way around, snorkel, Roll Cage, soft top, hood vent (for heat), steering stabilizer, new tires, rock doors(because were not taking the factory doors on the trip with us) among a few other things like seat covers and whatnot just because.
THE PACKING LIST:
tent, skillet, clothes, hygiene kit, tool kit, first aid, camp stove, lantern, tarp, bungees, tape, zipties, hammock, sleeping bags, food and drink, percolator, extra fluids and parts, fishing supply, cooler, recovery equipment, Jack Daniels, and other small things for comfort like the phone charger and pocket knife and all that jazz.
So what do yall think?
Am I building up the rig too much, not packing enough, or on the right path to success?

Attachments

Last edited:

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

the wife & I are leaving next week for our 10 day trip Arkansas & Oklahoma Trans American Trail route. Last summer we've been planning going over Sam's maps, roll charts, Arkansas & Oklahoma Atlas Gazetteer, National Forest Maps. We've listed communities (places of businesses) on the route for provisions: laundromat, food, water, fuel, dispersed camp sites in the National Forest found on Google Maps, keeping track of the weather which we will be running into some wet weather. I dropped off the vehicle we'll be using @ the mechanic for a thorough go over & tune up, all fluid changes. The mechanic found left front shock need of replacing, idler pulley was starting to go so I had him change it out & the serpentine belt plus had him change out "all" the hoses. I went through our adventure trailer climbing underneath check for any cracked welds or loosen bolts: holding the RTT to the rack & the RTT hinge bolts. I re-packed the wheel bearings, check the air pressure in the tires & spare, battery is full charged, propane bottle is filled. I feel you can never be too much prepared for any trip especially offroad trips.
47683625_1965635536818644_203143951576727552_n.jpg51482017_2043118645736999_7684894968808210432_n.jpg45767214_1924210364294495_1882812537561415680_n.jpg50919592_2032174463498084_2454610106432618496_n.jpg

Reactions: avgjoe624

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

Hey there overlanders, so lately ive had a lot of free time on my hands throughout the day, and a lot of extra money in my pocket. So ive had a lot of opportunity to really dig in and research an upcoming trip I have planned from a few different perspectives. Watched a ridiculous amount of videos, and read forum and forum.
THE TRIP: in July, 2020. im planning on embarking from NC to accomplish the TAT, along the way I will be stopping at windrock OHV park in TN, MOAB, Grand Canyon, and Four Corners along with some other places on the way to Oregon. Once in Oregon I plan to take CA HWY 395 down to Lake Tahoe, CA and take on the Rubicon Trail and camp out a night or so at the lake. From there ill be taking the CA coastal HWY down to meet the start of Route 66 and start making my way back east. Stops along rte 66 are still in the planning phase, probably going to cut off in Tulsa, OK and head down to the GA traverse before heading home. all in all im giving myself 40 days to get it done, which I feel is a pretty good amount of time and leaves plenty of room for adventure.
THE PREPARATION: As of now I have about 18 months and have really been focusing on planning this for about 2 months so far. Prep includes everything from doing a lot of map research, to excel spreadsheets for jeep build, finances up to and during the trip, and packing lists. Aside from the saving and all that, which I feel like im doing the smartest way. My question really comes down to the build and the packing list. I have a list of items that I think makes the Jeep tough enough to tackle the trail, and the wife is thinking its not going to be that serious. As Far as packing, (as of now) im planning on being able to fit everything in the back of the cargo area. No roof rack at the moment.
THE BUILD: So at the moment the Jeep is fairly mild with a lift, 35s, rock rails, and a darn good driver. In the planning phase is coming a new dana 44 front axle, control arms all the way around, snorkel, Roll Cage, soft top, hood vent (for heat), steering stabilizer, new tires, rock doors(because were not taking the factory doors on the trip with us) among a few other things like seat covers and whatnot just because.
THE PACKING LIST:
tent, skillet, clothes, hygiene kit, tool kit, first aid, camp stove, lantern, tarp, bungees, tape, zipties, hammock, sleeping bags, food and drink, percolator, extra fluids and parts, fishing supply, cooler, recovery equipment, Jack Daniels, and other small things for comfort like the phone charger and pocket knife and all that jazz.
So what do yall think?
Am I building up the rig too much, not packing enough, or on the right path to success?
I think you probably be over prepared with respect,18 months is a long time. I think it took 18 months to prepare for D-Day. :) Seriously sounds like a great trip. Best wishes.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
THE PACKING LIST:
So what do yall think?
I like to think there is no "right or wrong" when it comes to camping. That's what makes it enjoyable for me. For some, the planning and packing is just as much fun as the trip itself. I always try to go pretty lean. I keep the camper always ready to go, packed with the basics and I enjoy the spur of the moment camping. No real planning or anything, just a basic idea of the area we want to go see and then "wing it". Of course make sure the vehicles are in good shape and all that, but for me its most enjoyable to just take the basics and head off somewhere. If there is something I really need and don't have, there is always a Walmart around.
When I started Overlanding, the wife and I would buy all the groceries and stuff and head off loaded to the gills and usually coming back with most of what we took unused. I find it better to just go and pick up a few groceries along the way. If I'm boondocking, I'll stop right before I get to the location and pick up groceries. Sometimes I find better stuff elsewhere than if I bought stuff locally to take with me. As far as clothes, I ALWAYS end up coming back home with a good bit that I never wore. Good boots and a good raincoat are essential though.
So, if it takes 18 months to plan, thats cool. That's 18 months of enjoyment planning and thinking and bonding with the wife prepping together. Or, if you decide friday night that you want to head 5 states away the next morning, thats fun, too. Actually, I like NOT having all the comforts at home when I camp. I can get close to nature caveman style and then when I get back home, I can really be thankful for hot water, clean underwear, etc...! :)
As far as other items go, you'd be surprised as what all you can forget to take and then end up doing just fine without it. I used to backpack a lot in my younger days and I'd just take one bar of Ivory soap. Bathe with it, shampoo with it and then make a little lather with it to wash dishes. One bar of soap took the place of shampoo and dish soap.
However you plan, just have fun...Overlanding is all about seeing and enjoying NATURE...Louis and Clark didn't have a big screen tv or microwave when they explored... Besides, what's the worse that can happen if you forgot something?

Last edited:

disco_unchained

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA, USA
Member #

THE PACKING LIST:
So what do yall think?
I say all of this assuming you haven’t driven California a bunch - apologies if that’s flawed: Tahoe is beautiful and you shouldn’t miss it. But You cannot skip 395 and the eastern Sierras while in California. You’d be kicking yourself. At least get to the Alabama Hills and around the bristlecone pines and convict lake. Also - if going down highway one - bust a left onto nacamiento road at Kirk creek campground south of big sur and check out south coast ridge road / trail. You won’t be disappointed at the views up there.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

ill definitely look into those, thanks for the tip

I say all of this assuming you haven’t driven California a bunch - apologies if that’s flawed: Tahoe is beautiful and you shouldn’t miss it. But You cannot skip 395 and the eastern Sierras while in California. You’d be kicking yourself. At least get to the Alabama Hills and around the bristlecone pines and convict lake. Also - if going down highway one - bust a left onto nacamiento road at Kirk creek campground south of big sur and check out south coast ridge road / trail. You won’t be disappointed at the views up there.
[/QUOTE

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

THE PACKING LIST:
So what do yall think?

I didn't see lockers on your list. If you plan on doing the Rubicon I would suggest at least one. You can do it without one but it will be tougher and your chance of dents will be a bit higher. There will likely be others there to assist with a tug but remember when a rig gets stuck or broken it slows down everyone else on the trail. Sounds like a great trip!

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
I am going with over built. The ‘con is not what people make it out to be and has bypasses. Look into what stock rigs have made it through. Doing an axel upgrade for a trip that is heavily highway seems overkill. That’s not to say it is not a great upgrade if it makes sense for other stuff you do. Just may be overkill for a single trip.

I probably plan less than most people. I like a fair amount of going with the flow. However, being that I drive an FJ80, I do plan fuel stops. Knowing fuel range is important.

I second the comment above on several small trips to shake out your setup. Nothing helps figure it all out like doing. It is the number one way I have learned want vs need and like/don’t like.

Sounds like a great trip.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

all great comments. Thank you. I plan on doing A LOT of small trips between now and then. so im sure that will help out a lot.

As for the axle swap and lockers, The axle i chose to go with comes with e-lockers installed already. and the axle upgrade isnt just to benefit me for this trail alone. I do a good amount of serious offroading and since i couldnt afford to get my rubicon when i bought a jeep, i figured i would build something better than.

Reactions: Dave K and Brewbud